Additional uses for tailgate bike rack?

AndyNichs

T6 Pro
Hi all, I have fitted a Thule wonderway 3 bike tailgate bike rack on the back of my van and was wondering, if I wasn't carrying any bikes, is it safe and legal to carry something else on it? For example, a tent, awning or maybe a windbreak?

Obviously, it goes without saying it needs to be tied down with straps so it wouldn't fly off, but wondered if people use the rack for carrying stuff other than bikes?
Thanks

Makes a decent clothes horse when on site.
Strap the kids car seat to it to counteract the "are we there yet" noise. It's like wing walking, they love it.
There's no legal definition or legislation to define what you carry on your bike rack because it's called a bike rack, same as a roof rack. Then you really would have a mobile home.
Just that it is secured safely in transit

Hi all, I have fitted a Thule wonderway 3 bike tailgate bike rack on the back of my van and was wondering, if I wasn't carrying any bikes, is it safe and legal to carry something else on it? For example, a tent, awning or maybe a windbreak?

Obviously, it goes without saying it needs to be tied down with straps so it wouldn't fly off, but wondered if people use the rack for carrying stuff other than bikes?
Thanks
I had a large waterproof bag made to fit our bike rack. It’s got straps to fix it in place. It can carry a huge amount of kit.

Ok, this is what I'm after but can't find it anywhere! I can see it's a Thule product but can't find out what the item is called? Anyone know or got one? I'm thinking it might be discontinued...
Thanks

Screenshot_20220524-204401~2.jpgScreenshot_20220524-204351~2.jpg

Ok, this is what I'm after but can't find it anywhere! I can see it's a Thule product but can't find out what the item is called? Anyone know or got one? I'm thinking it might be discontinued...
Thanks

View attachment 157890View attachment 157891
That’s basically what I had my local bag man make to my spec. Cost me about £70. Great service, highly recommended.

Here you go

FE0E6228-7960-4322-A070-B5778A9CACA2.jpeg
There’s all these options, they may need some adaptation for your rack though (and a mortgage for the Thule options as usual!)

Get the Amazon one it's only volume with some straps you need as a practical use. The THULE print on the side doesn't make it 10x better with the price difference. It's all made in China or Poland anyways

Buying Thule does normally mean you can sell it in for a good price when you are done with it but for 500 quid shipping the stuff by courier might be more economical!

That’s basically what I had my local bag man make to my spec. Cost me about £70. Great service, highly recommended.

Here you go
Great link thanks. May get in touch to see if they can make a custom bag for my fire pit so I can take it camping a bit easier.

Here you go
Firstly, you have a local bag man?? :oops::slow rofl:

But that rack bag has got me wondering if I can fit it on the rack and at 36cm deep still get 2 bikes on and all without it getting too heavy when packed.

I have in my shed one of these bags, unused and as new. If you are interested please send me a pm as it’s just gathering dust!

3767A7D1-B2D9-4B9A-ADEC-07423349A9C2.jpeg

Great link thanks. May get in touch to see if they can make a custom bag for my fire pit so I can take it camping a bit easier.
He’ll make anything you want. He made me a padded bag to take my BBQ, all shaped to fit. If it’s a complicated job he prefers to have the article in front of him rather than work of dimensions. The end result is better.
His name is Dillon, top bloke.

Back