What's Your Price Limit Per Night?

I'm seriously thinking of going next week. I've got 3 nights booked and paid for on the island of Texel in Holland which I wanted to explore, and had been intending on wandering along the top coast to Denmark but I'm now thinking of diverting down there instead and staying from Fri to Tuesday. Their pricing would be harsh on a LWB T6 though, it's up to 5m then up to 9m. I'm the smallest and don't need electricity so the price isn't bad at all for me. I don't have any CHF but I suppose I could change some euros onthe way down. You'd definitely recommend it then?

Yes mate.
3 years running I went there, and would still go again.
There is loads to do, from the stunning Swiss town of Lauterbrunnen which is a 10 min walk from the site, Trummelbach falls is an absolute must to witness the power of mother nature, and you cannot go to Jungfrau without going up to the village Murren. This is a place right up in the mountain where you take a cable car and a train up there, and you can look across the mountains, it's absolutely breathtaking.

My number one Swiss tip is stock up on things like meat in France, because they are expensive in Switzerland, as is everything else, including fuel. Buy a Swiss Vignette at the boarder for 40 euros, and that lasts the rest of the year. No tolls in Switzerland, just the vignette.

Trust me, you will love the place and want to go back again. People often say the air feels cleaner in Switzerland, and you only know what that means once you visit the country. The whole place is immaculate.

Yes mate.
3 years running I went there, and would still go again.
There is loads to do, from the stunning Swiss town of Lauterbrunnen which is a 10 min walk from the site, Trummelbach falls is an absolute must to witness the power of mother nature, and you cannot go to Jungfrau without going up to the village Murren. This is a place right up in the mountain where you take a cable car and a train up there, and you can look across the mountains, it's absolutely breathtaking.

My number one Swiss tip is stock up on things like meat in France, because they are expensive in Switzerland, as is everything else, including fuel. Buy a Swiss Vignette at the boarder for 40 euros, and that lasts the rest of the year. No tolls in Switzerland, just the vignette.

Trust me, you will love the place and want to go back again. People often say the air feels cleaner in Switzerland, and you only know what that means once you visit the country. The whole place is immaculate.
I think I'm going to do it, just planning potential routes, will have to stop halfway down mid Germany as it's an 11.5hr drive from where I am in Holland on the Wed night (I wish I hadn't booked and paid for that now) and I want to end up in the north German town of Elsfleth on the following Thurs night before getting the ferry back on the Fri so will need to stop halway up then too. I'll have my bike with me, anywhere to cycle round there or is it all mountainous? And thanks for the tip on food etc, I'll filll up in Luxembourg, diesel is buttons there.

I think I'm going to do it, just planning potential routes, will have to stop halfway down mid Germany as it's an 11.5hr drive from where I am in Holland on the Wed night (I wish I hadn't booked and paid for that now) and I want to end up in the north German town of Elsfleth on the following Thurs night before getting the ferry back on the Fri so will need to stop halway up then too. I'll have my bike with me, anywhere to cycle round there or is it all mountainous? And thanks for the tip on food etc, I'll filll up in Luxembourg, diesel is buttons there.

There are loads of places to cycle round the area, but you need to be super fit to do any real distance. The first year I took my road bike and went out to do a normal 20-30 mile ride... no way. I did 8 miles and a climb so high, that I threw up when I finally reached the top.
Bikes are a must for all our holidays, as it's our only means of transport when we are pitched up, and that's fine with me, but Switzerland is rarely flat for long.

Let me know your route, and i've probably stayed in a good over night site about half way if you struggle to find a site.

There are loads of places to cycle round the area, but you need to be super fit to do any real distance. The first year I took my road bike and went out to do a normal 20-30 mile ride... no way. I did 8 miles and a climb so high, that I threw up when I finally reached the top.
Bikes are a must for all our holidays, as it's our only means of transport when we are pitched up, and that's fine with me, but Switzerland is rarely flat for long.

Let me know your route, and i've probably stayed in a good over night site about half way if you struggle to find a site.
Mate I’m 55, it’s an emtb, am not super fit and 8 miles IS a real distance :rofl:
Looks like Frankfurt or Stuttgart areas are about halfway, but it’s rarely a problem finding a stellplatz in Germany. I’ll have a search tomorrow when I’m on the ferry :thumbsup:

Been there too, whist staying at the £600 a week camping Jungfrau. We must of liked it because we went back three times, and camping Brienz.
I love Switzerland, but boy do they hit tourists hard in the pocket, and it gets more expensive each year you go back :( Still managed to pop through last week though.

Blimey. We paid £230 for 5 nights at the start of July at Camping Jungfrau. There is another smaller campsite further up the valley. Suspect it will be cheaper but it's too far to walk into the town. I love Switzerland, but as @Tourershine says, its dear for tourist stuff. But when campsites in the UK start getting as expensive as a Travel Lodge or a hotel, something is far wrong.

That was a large premium pitch in peak season. Its expensive yes, but you cannot beat the location for breathtaking beauty and things to do.

That area of Europe should be on everyone's visit list at least once.

one of my mates is running the Jungfrau marathon next week, just watched a video of previous years highlights and it certainly looks stunning...
the scenery, not the running, just to clarify!

Blimey. We paid £230 for 5 nights at the start of July at Camping Jungfrau. There is another smaller campsite further up the valley. Suspect it will be cheaper but it's too far to walk into the town. I love Switzerland, but as @Tourershine says, its dear for tourist stuff. But when campsites in the UK start getting as expensive as a Travel Lodge or a hotel, something is far wrong.

After all that chat with @andys last night, I booked another week at Jungfrau for October.

one of my mates is running the Jungfrau marathon next week, just watched a video of previous years highlights and it certainly looks stunning...
the scenery, not the running, just to clarify!

I saw that on the camping Jungfrau website, stating when the roads will be closed. I agree, not for me either! I value my old knees too much.

Ok I’m booked at Jungfrau from next Fri to the following Wed, total cost £154. I won’t be taking part in the marathon, I shall be eating a leisurely and fattening breakfast while it’s on :D
This is what I love about campervans, total change of plan going hundreds of miles in a different direction at a moment’s notice. Thanks to @Tourershine for the idea.

We stayed at Grange Farm, Isle of Weight for a week
That cost £340 with ferry

Lovely area and views but toilets and facilities not so good
Bit of a let down on that side of things

Andy

Just looking for a pitch for this weekend. C&CC site in Wolverley @ £22 per night without EHU in September! Must be just us but can't justify that price. Doesn't even look/sound that good just near to home.

Screenshot_20190918-141627_Chrome.jpg

All of the club sites seem massively overpriced to me. CL/CS's are good value but there are as many poor as there are good, but plenty of "adequate" in the middle. I'm not into fancy- in UK in winter I expect hard standing, if toilets/showers are provided then I expect them to be clean, if EHU hook up is provided, then I expect it reasonably close and working. We do use our van like a camper though, we think it perfectly normal to cook, eat and wash in the van whereas some people see it as a bedroom, or must have an awning (for various reasons). Each to their own.

Last edited:
Back