What's Your Price Limit Per Night?

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So just spent two nights at Carsington C&MC site which was £30 a night. This would normally be way to expensive for us but did have a free night voucher so worked out at £15 a night. Anyway got me thinking what's everyone's max price they are willing to pay per night? Been on some small CL sites for less than £15 a night with EHU and £6 without. Also been on a few rallies which without EHU are around £10 a night in some great locations. For us anything over £25 is far to expensive even if the facilities are great. Might be a sign of getting old but when your into the £30 per night range a weekend away soon becomes pretty hard on the wallet. Spoke to a couple next to us who had paid £62 a night in Norfolk!!

So over to you guys what you happy to pay??

£30 a night is our limit. Has to be good for that.
To be honest, we like simple unfussy grass pitches, and having solar means that EHU generally isn’t essential.

Pete

At old oaks 1 night is £38the other are 35 so 105 for 3 nights this is are first time did not think it was bad great service and site

£0! I never use campsites - I have never seen the need for them. Carry your own water, shower, toilet etc and with solar and travelling why would you need one. I didn't buy a camper to sit on a patch of grass with a herd of other vans. Why stay in one place?

£0! I never use campsites - I have never seen the need for them. Carry your own water, shower, toilet etc and with solar and travelling why would you need one. I didn't buy a camper to sit on a patch of grass with a herd of other vans. Why stay in one place?

Campsites are good for kids because they can run around with a bunch of other kids. Ours get a bit cranky after a few nights wild camping on the trot.

£30 a night is our limit. Has to be good for that.
To be honest, we like simple unfussy grass pitches, and having solar means that EHU generally isn’t essential.

Pete

Yep same here small CL site with a max of 5 vans suits us fine.

for less than £10 a night just for the added security and not any possible hassle we're happy on small sites. But in certain geographies can see the beauty of WC.

Campsites are good for kids because they can run around with a bunch of other kids. Ours get a bit cranky after a few nights wild camping on the trot.

Couldn't agree with you more and don't get me started on how cranky the kids are with no 4g / internet connection......

Pulled into Camping La Bien Asisse just outside Calais yesterday to lay up before the tunnel today, 50 euros for the night. I nearly sh*t, then paid it :-(
I'd pay no more than £30 usually in Britain.

In the U.K. I would be very reluctant and upset to pay more than £25 but we tend mainly to tour France out of season and use the ACSI camping card which gives us a fixed price of 16 or 18 euros all in inc elec.

Pulled into Camping La Bien Asisse just outside Calais yesterday to lay up before the tunnel today, 50 euros for the night. I nearly sh*t, then paid it :-(
I'd pay no more than £30 usually in Britain.

I was there last week and agree it's rather expensive, but very convenient for the tunnel.

If you think the above prices are expensive, I wouldn't ever venture into Switzerland! We were paying over £600 a week at one location.

I never really used to look at what the cost per night was on sites in Europe, providing they were clean and I'm not jammed up against another camper, I'm happy. Lately though, we do cringe a little at some of the site fees, but still pay them if it's a site we want to stay on.

I was there last week and agree it's rather expensive, but very convenient for the tunnel.

If you think the above prices are expensive, I wouldn't ever venture into Switzerland! We were paying over £600 a week at one location.

I never really used to look at what the cost per night was on sites in Europe, providing they were clean and I'm not jammed up against another camper, I'm happy. Lately though, we do cringe a little at some of the site fees, but still pay them if it's a site we want to stay on.

First time abroad in the van, been touring Europe twice a year for the last 3 years and have got used to motorcycle and tent prices I guess. 15 Euros a night in Grindelwald, right at the foot of the Eiger. The family can stay in Britain in future :whistle::sneaky::)

Just had 4 nights on a CC&MH club site at West Ayton and it was £122.86. So Thats just over £30 a night. Its got quite a lot more than a few years ago to stay on a club site but we prefer the facilties like toilets and showers but it still rankles. We have stayed on a couple of CLs, one was just £9 with Electric and a Toilet but no shower and the other was abt £15 with Electric, Toilet and Shower that needed a refurb.
Having said that, we stayed in the Forresters Arms pub at Kilburn and that was B&B for £90 per night and a charge over 3 nights of £10 for the dog. The other stay in Aberystwyth in the Pier Hotel was £55 per night just for the room and nowereto park. So perhaps £30 doesn't seem so bad. We didn't have the Van then and we had sold the caravan 12 months previously.

It very much depends on where you are. We did the Northern half of the Irish Wild Atlantic Way last month. Over there, the campsites were few and far between, and generally pretty poor. To make up for this though, the wild camping was fantastic so we mainly went for that (until the kids get fed up - see post above).

First time abroad in the van, been touring Europe twice a year for the last 3 years and have got used to motorcycle and tent prices I guess. 15 Euros a night in Grindelwald, right at the foot of the Eiger. The family can stay in Britain in future :whistle::sneaky::)

Been there too, whist staying at the £600 a week camping Jungfrau. We must of liked it because we went back three times, and camping Brienz.
I love Switzerland, but boy do they hit tourists hard in the pocket, and it gets more expensive each year you go back :( Still managed to pop through last week though.

Been there too, whist staying at the £600 a week camping Jungfrau. We must of liked it because we went back three times, and camping Brienz.
I love Switzerland, but boy do they hit tourists hard in the pocket, and it gets more expensive each year you go back :( Still managed to pop through last week though.
£600 a week????? For a campsite?? Jeez, I would like to go there at some point but I couldn't stomach that

£600 a week????? For a campsite?? Jeez, I would like to go there at some point but I couldn't stomach that

That was a large premium pitch in peak season. Its expensive yes, but you cannot beat the location for breathtaking beauty and things to do.

That area of Europe should be on everyone's visit list at least once.

That was a large premium pitch in peak season. Its expensive yes, but you cannot beat the location for breathtaking beauty and things to do.

That area of Europe should be on everyone's visit list at least once.
Actually not bad at all for something less ambitious, I've just looked online now and for a 5m van next week it would be £157 for 7 nights which is very reasonable.

Actually not bad at all for something less ambitious, I've just looked online now and for a 5m van next week it would be £157 for 7 nights which is very reasonable.

Haha. I was just doing exactly the same.
Talking about that place got me thinking about potentially going again.

We are back in Europe in October and still don't have a destination narrowed down. We made the mistake of doing the south of France last October and it was way too quiet.

I've just looked and 5 nights on a large pitch will cost less than €170, which is a bargain if everything is still open in October.

Haha. I was just doing exactly the same.
Talking about that place got me thinking about potentially going again.

We are back in Europe in October and still don't have a destination narrowed down. We made the mistake of doing the south of France last October and it was way too quiet.

I've just looked and 5 nights on a large pitch will cost less than €170, which is a bargain if everything is still open in October.
I'm seriously thinking of going next week. I've got 3 nights booked and paid for on the island of Texel in Holland which I wanted to explore, and had been intending on wandering along the top coast to Denmark but I'm now thinking of diverting down there instead and staying from Fri to Tuesday. Their pricing would be harsh on a LWB T6 though, it's up to 5m then up to 9m. I'm the smallest and don't need electricity so the price isn't bad at all for me. I don't have any CHF but I suppose I could change some euros onthe way down. You'd definitely recommend it then?

Back