What length electric hook-up cable?

Any particular reason that these cables don't come on a reel?
Because people never seem to unwind the whole reel like they should if you don't you stand a good chance of melting the cable together that is let and cause a short. I've seen it done at work and even found out the cable had melted when some one retrned one and I tried to pull it out to use.. At least if it is loose there is little chance of the thing melting together on a coil

My van doesn't go in for conversion until February so I've got lots of time to ask silly questions as a first time campervaner.

Basically, what length EHU cable should I go for? I was looking at a number of pictures of varius campsites and noticed that the hook up point was quite far away from people's vans in some cases. Would a 25m cable cover all eventualities?

I have a 25M but some go for a 10 and a 15 so they have choices.

We have a 25m 2.5mm2 and it covers most situations. I would go for 2.5mm cable if going to 25m long.

I go 10m and 15m only ever needed both once. When you get to site just mention that you dont carry a long cable they will normally accomodate you. "Give them the haven't got space" story.

Quick question - 1.5mm or 2.5mm arctic cable for hook up?
Intending to get 15m and 10m and daisychain if needed (I have x3 240v sockets and can't think of anything particularly power hungry - low power kettle would be used)

Personally I can’t see the point in having 2 cables at 10 & 15m. I just have a single 2.5mm 25m cable. Fewer joints to go wrong & you’re still carrying it any way.

Quick question - 1.5mm or 2.5mm arctic cable for hook up?

It's not so much the current carrying capability you need to worry about with a hook up cable but the mechanical strength you get with a thicker 2.5mm conductor cable.

We have a single 25m cable now. Got caught out a few times with a 15m cable not reaching in some continental campsites.

We have two, long and short. I would say if it doesnt reach, ask the campsite for an extension. Most seem to have them and it gives them direct feedback that they have a bad layout.

25m here. A few UK sites have had a need for longer than 15m by the time you have routed around other pitches' large outfits/awnings and cars.

25m is a maximum requirement at all campsites - someone will prove me wrong but are CCC approved?

Is CCC relevant? Depends where you want to travel......

It’s guidelines that all sites try to adhere to - although I know some will offer expediting leads for more remote pitches as they only expect people to carry 25m

Back