What length electric hook-up cable?

And don’t you just hate it when just one vehicle overloads the bollard and it trips out cutting off everyone else who is plugged in. You then, usually in the early hours, are out in your pj’s trying to reset and figure out which numpty it is so you can unplug them, reset and scarper back to your camper to spy on the one Motorhome (usually a huge Hymer) who are now in complete darkness and trying to figure out why their 48inch plasma etc isn’t working anymore.
Oh the joys of camping.......

Not had the joy of this and hopefully never will !!!

Not had the joy of this and hopefully never will !!!
In this country most bollards have a trip per socket so if you do overload (and let’s be honest we have all done it at some stage) it only cuts you off.
On the continent however it can be a different set up and a bollard serving say 4 or 6 plugs may only have the one trip so when Mr Hymer rolls up and tries to run everything at once it blows everyone out.
It’s worth mentioning that if your ‘electric’ fails the first thing to check is the bollard.

In this country most bollards have a trip per socket so if you do overload (and let’s be honest we have all done it at some stage) it only cuts you off.
On the continent however it can be a different set up and a bollard serving say 4 or 6 plugs may only have the one trip so when Mr Hymer rolls up and tries to run everything at once it blows everyone out.
It’s worth mentioning that if your ‘electric’ fails the first thing to check is the bollard.

I'll keep this in mind although still being green behind the ears, it will be a while before I venture abroad. The bollard it will be as a first check. :thumbsup:

80C6F9ED-153C-4A68-8FC0-C8816FF4324F.jpeg
I'll keep this in mind although still being green behind the ears, it will be a while before I venture abroad. The bollard it will be as a first check. :thumbsup:
I can recommend you get one of these pen things, basically you just touch a cable, plug, wire with it and if it is live it beeps and flashes.
We had a power loss and it turned out our cable had a break in it where someone had driven over it, it was impossible to see so we couldn’t understand why no power. This little life saver soon showed us where the issue was.
It’s also good for testing the bollard as sometimes the trips don’t work!

Need to buy a hookup cable for our first trip out in the newly converted van next weekend, what length would people recommend? Hookup point is at the back bumper if that makes a difference. Ta!

Recommended is 1 each of 15m and 10m making a total of 25m. Gives you the flexibility to use either individually or as a combo of 25mts.

Enjoy the van!

Recommended is 1 each of 15m and 10m making a total of 25m. Gives you the flexibility to use either individually or as a combo of 25mts.

Enjoy the van!
Hi ...In addition ..if you do connect the two lengths together ..protect the connections ( most are IP44 so not totally waterproof)

Last edited:
In the UK you will probably get away with the 10m & 15m as above but if you are going into Europe especially France take a 25m as well and don't forget an adaptor for European socket outlets like this.

In the UK it is frowned on to use 16Amp multi way adaptors but you will find it quite normal to share outlets with an adaptor in France. That is with a thing like this.
Also in Europe polarity of live & neutral cannot be guaranteed so be aware, reversing cables can be bought or made up DIY.

Cheaper to buy a 25m cable, and 16a plug and socket from Toolstation for £5. You can choose where to cut it - I divided mine 8m & 17m.
Only ever used the 8m in the UK.

Out of interest what cable are people using in home made versions.. the max rated 16A or less? I ask as quite a few campsites I looked at only offered a 6A connection. This was in Italy though.

Out of interest what cable are people using in home made versions.. the max rated 16A or less? I ask as quite a few campsites I looked at only offered a 6A connection. This was in Italy though.

Why use cable rated less than the connector would handle?

My 25m cable is 2.5sq mm which according to the Doncaster cables calculator is rated at 16A when laid in open air but I'm quite happy to extend that with another 25m when necessary as I never draw anywhere near 16A.

The most important rule is to NEVER leave a coil of connected cable it's a FIRE RISK.

You see lots of folks with what appear to be much heavier cables but maybe they are only heavier in insulation not cross sectional area of the wire.

I don't believe that there is a standard colour code for the sheath although some campsites try to insist on the use certain ones. It is normal to see yellow used on building sites for 110v equipment. My personal choice for a camp site is either yellow or blue as they stand out well on the ground reducing the trip hazard. Outside the UK you will see all colours and thicknesses used in the most precarious and dangerous situations.

We just use a 25m 2.5sqmm, it's H07N rubber cable, much tougher & robust than PVC. Personally (and this is just my opinion) I can't see the point of carrying 10&15m cables. You're just adding bulk/weight/failure points into the system.

Back