What is the Vw cover all about?

BIgben

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Can anyone enlighten me? Just after I received the van I had a call from VW care or something. Telling me I had cover on the van for breakdown etc for the length of the hire purchase thingy. (4 years) I apparently just had to activate the card. What is the deal here?
Does anyone know what I'm on about because I certainly don't...

VW commercial vehicles have their own breakdown cover, so that if you breakdown, you call the number and a VW technician comes out to you (generally in a silver transporter). If you had a VW or Audi that was 3 or 4 years old you'd get exactly the same support, but from AA.
Just with it being a commercial vehicle VW do the breakdown cover themselves.

Is this something that stays with the vehicle for a number of years? Can't think that VW would offer this service free indefinitely! I bought my T6 used from a dealer and it's 9 months old. Do I still have breakdown cover on it?

I phoned up this evening to check with them on the number from the card provided.
It seems it lasts as long as the finance. Full UK breakdown cover that the lady said was covered by the AA.
I then asked about European cover, I was told that this is free for the first year and may be able to be extended.
A right result as I'm driving to the South of Spain for work on Monday!

It don't see how it can have anything to do with the finance, as mine isn't financed. :confused:
Highly confused as I know I have the cover as it was all explained when I picked the van up, and that it was provided by VW's own techs.
Oh well, guess it doesn't matter so long as you have the piece of mind one way or the other.
Have fun in Spain. Show those Spanish chaps and chapesses how we do T6ing in good ole blighty. :)

It's a extra cover from vw lease like I have or hire purchase . They give you a number to phone and they can sort out any trouble you have with it . They will even book a service or warranty work for you . I was told if I get any problems with poor dealer service to give them a call and they will deal with it for me . They are just making sure you stay happy with the van as it is there's till it gets payed for. It shouldn't make a difference with the dealer as they should give the same service to everyone but I bet they don't .

Every new VW I have had came with VW Assist alongside the warranty even extended warranty has it.
There is also VW ensurance that you get for free and lasts for 3 years and can be renewed for free and this is the claims management service.

I have roadside assistance with mine and had it with all my new VWs too. I was told it lasted 3 years too!

Every new VW I have had came with VW Assist alongside the warranty even extended warranty has it.
There is also VW ensurance that you get for free and lasts for 3 years and can be renewed for free and this is the claims management service.
So we have 5 years roadside cover (we extended our warranty)? Ideal.
So the insurance thing; is that just claims management? Won't your own insurance company provide that?

So we have 5 years roadside cover (we extended our warranty)? Ideal.
So the insurance thing; is that just claims management? Won't your own insurance company provide that?
Yes they do in theory but there seems to be a power struggle between who can make the most out of a claim so VW are getting into the game with VW Ensurance that makes sure your repair is done to warranty standards and gets you an appropriate loaner etc.

Yes they do in theory but there seems to be a power struggle between who can make the most out of a claim so VW are getting into the game with VW Ensurance that makes sure your repair is done to warranty standards and gets you an appropriate loaner etc.
Interesting; thanks for the info!

Anyone got experience of calling out VW Assist? Just wondering what their response time is. If they just use the AA then that fairly clear cut, but if VW use their own technicians....

Its either AA or RAC whoever currently has the contract.

Its AA at the moment AFAIK
I rang them a few weeks ago and while on the phone i asked if they were AA and the lady went quiet and after a while all she would say is "i am part of the VW team" so i asked if she was sat in a large building that said AA on the side and she wouldnt say no just kept repeating that she was part of the VW roadside assist dept lol

Dose any one with extended warranty know if you get the breakdown cover extended aswell ,my dealer was trying to find out ,but not heard anything yet.

Back