What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Hi, no standard non canbus.i have also fitted the THQ headlamps so lighting is massively improved

no problem, I went for a set from xenons online H7 Project-X LED Headlight Bulbs Canbus

Currently saying out of stock but hopefully back in soon. Once I had my headlamps adjusted they are great. If you sign up for their newsletter you get 10% off. They are slightly different than others as the leds aren't 180 degrees to each other so give a better spread of light.

That looks great. What is the makeup of your poptop bed? Is it Ply? Are you running the fibres above or below the ply? If above how have you protected the fibres?
Hi, yes the board is ply. I've had the bottom of the board carpeted to match the van but left the top face plain. I ran the fibres on the top face of the ply and run them to the back of the van to one point in the middle where the controller and power hooks on to the strands. I glued each fibre into the 1mm hole to stop them from moving and then taped them all down. I then put a piece of 10mm carpet underlay on top of all the fibres to help protect them and keep them flat (ish!). If anyone is sleeping up there, they'll be a mattress and a Vango California pop top mattress up there. I was up there just on the underlay and could only just feel the fibres, so with 2 mattresses up there as well, you shouldn't feel a thing...

Hi, yes the board is ply. I've had the bottom of the board carpeted to match the van but left the top face plain. I ran the fibres on the top face of the ply and run them to the back of the van to one point in the middle where the controller and power hooks on to the strands. I glued each fibre into the 1mm hole to stop them from moving and then taped them all down. I then put a piece of 10mm carpet underlay on top of all the fibres to help protect them and keep them flat (ish!). If anyone is sleeping up there, they'll be a mattress and a Vango California pop top mattress up there. I was up there just on the underlay and could only just feel the fibres, so with 2 mattresses up there as well, you shouldn't feel a thing...
Super helpful info. Thank you.

Hi mate, have you fitted a genuine VW wood floor there?
- Where did you source?
- how scratch resistant do you reckon they Grey looking coating is?
Cheers.
Hey mate,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes it's a genuine VW wood floor.

VW ordered it for me as compensation for something they screwed up on my order and I just picked it up from their parts department when it arrived.

The coating isn't bad for scratch resistance but it does depend on what you put in the van. I have scratched up mine already but it's better than scratching up the paint on the metal underneath. Plus if I scratch it up real bad I can just get a rubber mat or carpet to glue down over it later.

I do think I'll get some underlay to put down underneath it as it does rattle on some of the country roads I've been driving on recently.

Another Saturday morning, another bodged DIY bit of Transporter furniture - my Mk5 Kombi storage pod/Ecoflow house.

I really don’t know why I do it, and I do it every time - I should just spend a few quid more and buy something ready made FFS.

Issue 1 - the space (that I specifically measured) between the walls where the tambour door kit is supposed to fit is too wide - tambour kit is 400mm and the gap is 410mm :confused:

Issue 2 - the mega stretch carpet lining thickness plus 12mm ply doesn’t fit very well in the 15mm ally corner profiles and it keeps popping out :confused:

Issue 3 - I loathe DIY. I talk myself into these things and immediately regret it when things start going wrong, or I misplace a tool, or the screw won’t stay in the magnetic driver, or the spray adhesive goes over everything :confused:

Stay indoors and watch YouTube people doing it properly :thumbsup:

Another Saturday morning, another bodged DIY bit of Transporter furniture - my Mk5 Kombi storage pod/Ecoflow house.

I really don’t know why I do it, and I do it every time - I should just spend a few quid more and buy something ready made FFS.

Issue 1 - the space (that I specifically measured) between the walls where the tambour door kit is supposed to fit is too wide - tambour kit is 400mm and the gap is 410mm :confused:

Issue 2 - the mega stretch carpet lining thickness plus 12mm ply doesn’t fit very well in the 15mm ally corner profiles and it keeps popping out :confused:

Issue 3 - I loathe DIY. I talk myself into these things and immediately regret it when things start going wrong, or I misplace a tool, or the screw won’t stay in the magnetic driver, or the spray adhesive goes over everything :confused:

Stay indoors and watch YouTube people doing it properly :thumbsup:
The Forum likes a tryer though.....

Back