What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Finishing touches to my Ebers install. I’ve finally found a use for the overhead cubby hole. The Easystart Pro is a perfect fit without mod’g.

View attachment 71377
Looks good mate.

And you have got to love a bit of Q-Bond. Used something similar years ago and then couldn’t find any more.. then I recently discovered it again. Brilliant stuff.

Looks good mate.

And you have got to love a bit of Q-Bond. Used something similar years ago and then couldn’t find any more.. then I recently discovered it again. Brilliant stuff.

Cheers Adam, I’m happy with it and I can be anal!
I does look like a case of product placement. It’s good stuff as long as you’re careful with the super glue

Over a few days actually, I got fed up with the original vw bumper protector, constantly having to apply shoe polish, so, ordered a new one and set about removing the existing one. I kinda thought it was going to be a pain and it was, hair dryer, trim removing tools, sharp knife, GT85, white spirit, T-Cut, Isopropyl Alcohol and most of an afternoon. Got the new one, aluminium with carbon finish from Amazon and fitting instructions were in German, so set about translating, usual guff but the bit that scared me was you only get one chance to get it right! That put me off for a few days, (I'm a bit of a procrastinator). The dry run indicated that if the centre of the protector was positioned correctly, the ends would need a bit of a push so that the lip fitted well.
Fitting satisfaction level 8, needs a bit of black silicone at the ends to get to level 9. pics attached.IMG_5982.JPGIMG_5983.JPG

What a great use of that space, sure I've seen the Eber control there before ;)

I’ve seen a Webasto controller in that position but to the right and it has a larger footprint so
doesn’t look as neat. The Pro is the perfect width for the position. Add a couple of USB sockets for the upper birth and the space is complete

Rear Bumper Protector Removal

I’ve read lots of posts from people who made this sound really easy so I just wanted to say that I personally had an absolute nightmare removing my old rear bumper protector and thought I’d share a few insights into how I eventually got it off!

After heating it up it didn’t lift off easily as I imagined. The 3M sticky was so strong the protector actually bent before the sticky gave way. It ended up coming off in 3 pieces.

F246A903-60B7-4619-9D84-AEB847427BC2.jpeg7B8C44AD-60E2-4795-94D3-EE947CECA396.jpeg8369D8BB-C0DF-460C-9A64-207959D60343.jpeg

I wasn’t just left with a bit of sticky residue, most of the original 3M strip was left over. This is where things got difficult and it took me a good couple of hours of heating and scraping to get the bulk of it off.

70D16ECB-63BC-4716-B881-C33029A8E629.jpeg7E74EC98-5EEF-4CB2-B09D-6E8E01CC725F.jpeg

The thing I found really helped was collecting a ball of the 3M stuff and pressing it on the stuff left over on the bumper and pulling it off quickly. Unusual method perhaps but it worked well with a bit of heat.

8B2C8239-B36B-4ABE-BDFD-29C6B3F7F72C.jpeg3767F36F-0DCD-4B5E-8765-7D4469FB97DE.jpegFB309763-2AE2-4BD7-9858-D40E537F61CE.jpegC6D0E27E-2767-43B8-BA72-AC084D9124D0.jpeg

Only then was there any point using the sticker remover to get the rest of the residue off. There was a couple of rust spots (?!) on it and I scraped it a few times so I’ll be touching up the paintwork before I fit my new one. Hope that helps for anyone else about to attempt this!

558D36B2-598F-4C5B-880E-EB68A2564F8A.jpeg

Rear Bumper Protector Removal

I’ve read lots of posts from people who made this sound really easy so I just wanted to say that I personally had an absolute nightmare removing my old rear bumper protector and thought I’d share a few insights into how I eventually got it off!

Use fishing wire or dental floss. Slide it under the edge and saw through the foam tape.

Still have to get the tape off , but the protector comes off in one piece.

Took the 2 middle rows seats out of my Caravelle - I had heard they are heavy but I didn't realise just how heavy. Phew

Then I pushed the table and rear seats forwards to allow room for 2 bikes in the back, then we went for a drive to a local cycle route to put the new seating arrangement to the test.

Reactions: CAB
Use fishing wire or dental floss. Slide it under the edge and saw through the foam tape.

Still have to get the tape off , but the protector comes off in one piece.
I tried dental floss and the thinnest string I could find but neither were strong enough. That worked fine on my badges but this seemed to be another story altogether. Maybe fishing wire would have worked but I didn’t have any.

Reactions: Jay
I tried dental floss and the thinnest string I could find but neither were strong enough. That worked fine on my badges but this seemed to be another story altogether. Maybe fishing wire would have worked but I didn’t have any.
Or fishing wire is always a winner.

Today, we went out for a wee drive in Harvey (about 15 minutes to do the DPF thing). Discovered that weird, really annoying squeaky noise that has been plaguing me on my way to/from work is....

.... the fridge on vent!!

So... fridge was closed when we were driving. Problem solved. Hooray!!
:D
Same problem here. My solution was to wedge a small piece of 10mm 'packing foam' in the gap meaning the vent stays open and no annoying noises. Not the most elegant solution but it works for me.Fridge.jpg

Nice installation. Where are the USB's powered from?

I plan to run the power supply from the leisure battery, up the B pillar and along the roof. I’ll sort it at the same time I run the controller harness.

Fitted the extra door rubbers and some Heko wind deflectors.
I say Heko but I got them from Ebay and I’m not 100% convinced that they are genuine.

Reactions: CAB
Refitted my rear panels today but used riv nuts and Allen bolts because I found the plastic clips quite frustrating! I think it’s quite cool :cool: it also means I can fix things onto it. I’ve got some loops so I can bungee stuff to the wall or down to the bed (once it’s back in).

I’m quite new here so, hello! :)

63BCD10B-E829-4265-8CFC-FEF74682DA38.jpeg28555A9F-3F2D-4081-AB60-B486ED482153.jpeg7B4DA88F-C6BE-40E5-A538-4A48D96880C9.jpeg14C07075-7FED-472B-942D-BC8B8AF9E373.jpegDB268AEA-2953-433A-868C-5DD9D1B104E1.jpeg

I've got some airline track to install with rivnuts when I get time. Like how you added the loops to the standard holes.

Did you drill them out or use the standard size?

Got the van back from its 4 year timing belt change.
Asked for old bits to inspect em.
Looks like it had another 4 years in em......never mind. Better safe than sorry.
15906756905635875798403632190162.jpg

Back