What Have You Bought Today?

No replies on here, but a similar response from S&S.
It doesn't fit perfectly, or even properly, but my mate's perfectly fitting one cost £200 so I guess I'll live with it.
I think I’ll return and try to find one that fits. I already have one that doesn’t fit right.. I don’t need a second .

Thq v2s black and 35w HID, spent ages with the tesa tape tidying the wires up strangely satisfying!

Get some LED main beam bulbs in there whilst you are at it. Halogen main beams add nothing hardly to the HID dipped beams, plus you'll hate the colour mismatch.

Get some LED main beam bulbs in there whilst you are at it. Halogen main beams add nothing hardly to the HID dipped beams, plus you'll hate the colour mismatch.
Yeah I was thinking that, thanks for all your help with finding the HID kit, much appreciated!

Courtesy of Mr Bezos, I had an Auto Vox TW1 reversing camera kit arrive today comprising a screen and two cameras - one for the back of the van and one for my towbar mounted bike rack:
I haven't tried them in anger yet but I did offer a camera up to both the van and rack and they seem to fit OK. I'll report back on how well they work after fitting them properely tomorrow but my initial reaction is that the kit should go some way towards easing the terror that I experience every time I reverse the van blind with the rack fitted. This camper is the first van that I have driven for a lot of years and is also the first one that I have ever driven that I care about (others have been firms cars and military ones at that!).

Also, I went into my local Halfords for some polish. I didn't get it but did walk out with a Garmin Drivesmart 65 EU Satnav (with lifetime map and speed camera updates) for £130 which a quick google told me was a lot less than it could be bought anywhere else. I tested it on the way home and it seems to do the job and can hopefully replace the TomTom jobbie that I had until it died on me earlier this year
Keep us updated on the cameras :) as these could be a possible purchase :)

Reactions: JOG
Courtesy of Mr Bezos, I had an Auto Vox TW1 reversing camera kit arrive today comprising a screen and two cameras - one for the back of the van and one for my towbar mounted bike rack:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTO-VOX-True-Wireless-Reversing-Installation-Support/dp/B09DL3P5BL/ref=asc_df_B09DL3P5BL/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=535061376645&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7113242562237403894&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007129&hvtargid=pla-1427017710235&psc=1 I haven't tried them in anger yet but I did offer a camera up to both the van and rack and they seem to fit OK. I'll report back on how well they work after fitting them properely tomorrow but my initial reaction is that the kit should go some way towards easing the terror that I experience every time I reverse the van blind with the rack fitted. This camper is the first van that I have driven for a lot of years and is also the first one that I have ever driven that I care about (others have been firms cars and military ones at that!).
I got around to fitting the cameras this morning. Initial reaction is that the kit is great and will certainly do the job. As can be seen in the pictures below, The monitor (which has a 5" screen) plugs into the dash 12V socket and in my case, sits nicely alongside the socket on the 'Seatshelf' where it doesn't really take up much space. As for the cameras, I've got one on the van number plate and another on the towbar mounted rack number plate. The one on the van more or less disappears above the number plate and sits perfectly between the two lights. The one fitted to the bike rack is more obvious but in reality is a bit less so than it looks in the picture below. They were very easy to fit as they are totally wireless but because of that, you have to switch it on when you want a rear view rather than it coming on automatically as if wired into the reversing lights - that's very easy as it only requires the touch of a switch on the 12V plug. Also because the cameras are not hard wired to the car, you have to keep them charged (micro USB cable) and I don't yet know how long the battery will last with real world usage (there is also a small solar charger available but I'm going to see how I get along without one first). It's also easy to toggle between the two cameras with a touch of a switch on the side of the monitor. I've still got to use them in anger but initial impressions are very good indeed.001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.jpg005.JPG

I got around to fitting the cameras this morning. Initial reaction is that the kit is great and will certainly do the job. As can be seen in the pictures below, The monitor (which has a 5" screen) plugs into the dash 12V socket and in my case, sits nicely alongside the socket on the 'Seatshelf' where it doesn't really take up much space. As for the cameras, I've got one on the van number plate and another on the towbar mounted rack number plate. The one on the van more or less disappears above the number plate and sits perfectly between the two lights. The one fitted to the bike rack is more obvious but in reality is a bit less so than it looks in the picture below. They were very easy to fit as they are totally wireless but because of that, you have to switch it on when you want a rear view rather than it coming on automatically as if wired into the reversing lights - that's very easy as it only requires the touch of a switch on the 12V plug. Also because the cameras are not hard wired to the car, you have to keep them charged (micro USB cable) and I don't yet know how long the battery will last with real world usage (there is also a small solar charger available but I'm going to see how I get along without one first). It's also easy to toggle between the two cameras with a touch of a switch on the side of the monitor. I've still got to use them in anger but initial impressions are very good indeed.View attachment 138295View attachment 138296View attachment 138297View attachment 138298View attachment 138299
Great write up and interesting to hear your real world opinion of them. I would welcome your view on how they are “in use”. Do they unclip for charging?

@JOG. Wilco on further reports. As far as charging is concerned, the short answer is yes BUT there is a very (very) small grub screw with a hex head holding the thing securely in place (tool supplied). Reading the bumf, it's designed as an anti theft measure as your average scrote isn't likely to have the tool to undo it. That said, I'm a clumsy beggar sometimes and if I take it out on the drive, I just know that it's only a matter of time before I drop it and it's lost forever as it's so small. my plan is therefore to plug in the USB cable on the drive but I wouldn't want to do it when it's raining (even though the van affords it some protection). So far as the one on the bike rack is concerned, charging is not an issue as it's usually indoors and stored in an under stairs cupboard when not in use so it's just a case of remembering to charge it. That said, the monitor does tell you how much charge both cameras have got left so there really shouldn't be any excuses.....

@JOG. Wilco on further reports. As far as charging is concerned, the short answer is yes BUT there is a very (very) small grub screw with a hex head holding the thing securely in place (tool supplied). Reading the bumf, it's designed as an anti theft measure as your average scrote isn't likely to have the tool to undo it. That said, I'm a clumsy beggar sometimes and if I take it out on the drive, I just know that it's only a matter of time before I drop it and it's lost forever as it's so small. my plan is therefore to plug in the USB cable on the drive but I wouldn't want to do it when it's raining (even though the van affords it some protection). So far as the one on the bike rack is concerned, charging is not an issue as it's usually indoors and stored in an under stairs cupboard when not in use so it's just a case of remembering to charge it. That said, the monitor does tell you how much charge both cameras have got left so there really shouldn't be any excuses.....
I think I know what might appear in SWMBO’s stocking from Santa - her car doesn’t have a reversing camera. She keeps saying she doesn’t need one but likes the one on the van!

Back