What can I do with this thing?

Rob63

Hi all
I’ve just got a 68 plate highline but other than forum search, don’t really know a lot about this. I get front assist inactive message, and don’t have ACC. What am I supposed to have in a Highline with regards to front assist? Is it worth fixing? I hear some negative feedback to it braking when least expected. Is ACC worth the extra effort as a mod/upgrade?
TIA

7A5E7C83-3D73-4E73-A155-6153C6D37F26.jpeg

My 68 Highline PV came with City Braking (brakes for you under about 30mph) and brake assist (adds braking force if you do not appear to be braking sufficiently). The City Braking has activated a couple of times unexpectedly (in 37K miles), but apart from the first time nearly giving me a heart attack, I’m not too bothered about that.

If you have a Front Assist inactive message, then the radar unit (in your picture) may need recalibrating. This may be because it’s taken a knock. I think that a recalibration by VW was about £150? If you didn’t buy privately, take it back and get them to do it (or pay for it).

I'd probably say it's out of calibration. I know a lot of people don't like it and leave it not calibrated. I was speaking with an MOT guy not long back and something to consider. If it has a safety assistance system and it's not working (1). it can technically fail the MOT (2). If found out your insurance could me nil and void as they'll know it came from the factory.

I find customers either love or hate the thing.

I agree with @Dav-Tec. You rear-end another motorist where it could have stopped you?
it might help protect you in the case where someone deliberately stops in front of you to force you into the back of them, in a “crash for cash” false insurance claims?

Back