The die is cast

Crazymind

VIP Member
T6 Guru
After 16 months with my Generation six and 15k miles Caravelle 2016 150hp dsg I have decided it’s time to end our relationship.
I have been to continent several times over the last 16 months and all went well until recently. The van had a few issues, fixed by VW no problem, all under warranty except the driveshaft recently repaired. Today the rear Evaporator stopped working with no aircon to the rear seats. It’s booked in end of a July to be looked at. I have broke dow twice recently. I feel like this is the beginning of the end :).
I have a few job planned over the next few months in Europe, including Norway and Portugal. I have never broke down when travelling. I look after my cars/Van more than necessary, even doing preventative jobs or obsession for 5k miles servicing :).
So far the T6 has been the least reliable car ever had, costing me time and money (to hire vans when repairs where done…).
I thought it was the definitive Van. Bought it with 42k miles on the clock. I was expecting to keep it for another 100k miles at least. Not sure the van has got the same plans I have .
Opportunity has arisen this week when my Vw dealer asked me if I was interesting to sell the van back to them. I went a little bit further and asked if they had something with more recent plate… and they found one caravelle with 11k miles. Plate 21. Long story short, they have offered me the same money I paid the van 16 months ago. On the other side the 21 plate is priced as it was when new . I guess it’s just a game of chess. Probably both 10k overpriced, at least.
Not 100% sure about the T6.1. Electric steering first, no foot rest to follow. No sport option to the DSG box. The Caravelle is packed with every options, nice to have but I have always avoided them: electric sliding doors ( they will brake) and electric tailgate (it will brake, will it take the Vw bike rack?).
Auto parking (useless).
I like the idea of the wind assist. Does it really work?
Probably best upgrade is the twin turbo engine. However my 150 was remapped to 196bhp. I don’t think I will notice any difference.
Not sure about the dashboard. I find annoying there is no glovebox on the upper side of the passenger side and the lid on top of the dash is gone. Where is the phone going to rest on the 6.1? T6 had just about the right spot for the phone near the dsg. Where do you keep your phones?
What your thoughts guys?

I've gone from a T5.1 manual 140 Caravelle to a converted T6.1 DSG 150 Kombi. The drive on the T6.1 is way much better in my view and the DSG is fine, no complaints so far which I'm surprised about. As for the wind assist I really can't comment and I'd be interested to hear the view of others as to the benefits. As for the phone holder, I cheated. I had one of these in the previous van and it solves that question amongst others. vdubseatshelf.co.uk

We have similar age Caravelle. Our phones sit in the cupholder by the gear shift hooked up to USB-C and on Android Auto to the head unit.

After not much thinking :), I have pulled the trigger. I was offered today 4K more than what I paid the van 16 months ago. I felt I couldn’t say no. Finance papers signed. Collection on Thursday.

If you have a modern Android 13 phone you might want to keep this thread to hand.

Hopefully you'll have no issues, but if not that's what worked for me.

Back