What Books Are You Reading At The Moment?

Another book, probalyout of print now but if you can find an edition is Trevor Elstubs, Warrior for the Working Day.
Its a story of Tankies during the Second World War and I could see a lot in the story from my days as a Tanky in the 1st Royal Tank Regiment.
I still have a copy but its going nowhere!!!.
Another good read is about Albert Pierpoint the hangman. Its his own autobiography and he tells how he started along side his farther and uncle and how he had to hang one guy who was a customer at the pub, Help the poor Struggler, he was Landlord at Manchester Road Nr Oldham. Its a falacy that he had a sign No Hanging around the Bar in his pub, he never did.

150 pages in. Steady work, but an excellent read if this is your thing.

FF4172AA-E604-4668-96A3-CBD65D6877E8.jpeg

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe. Recommend this one, does it always seem to have been better in the era before the one we are in?
It would have been amazing to have been in aviation when they were still making it up as they went along.
How cool was Chuck Yeager?

All These Years - Tune In, by Mark Lewisohn. A (comprehensive) history of the Beatles up until 1962.

Fascinating, slightly irritating and in need of a better editor, but well worth reading for anyone interested in the band. Amazing to see how often it could have all fizzled out, a real Swiss Cheese tale, but in reverse, if you see what I mean.

But dead annoyed to find out the 2nd part isn't finished yet, he's only had 8 years to write it! I'll be retired by the time he completes it o_O

Just finished Mark “Billy” Billingham, The hard way. Good read and what an interesting life different to most SAS/SBS books I’ve read as not a lot about his time in but more about his life outside.
Listening to Eddie Jones autobiography at the mo and reading Spymaster by Martin Pearce, I must stress not at the same time...

Been reading Clive Clusser, gone through 3 of the latest Oregan series and 2 of the latest Isaac Bell series. Got another of each to read yet.
Wondering if we’ll be out of lockdown before the new Jack Reacher book is launched in October, so I’ll have time to sit and read it.

I know a few on here enjoy the audiobooks, but what about podcasts?
If you enjoy reading true crime, I’d recommend Shreds.

6143170A-4286-4BF1-913C-827B63147961.jpeg

About to finish Sven Hassel, Court Martial. I Have all his books and read them long in the past but started reading them again.IMG_20200704_230329.jpg

"Know thine enemy" ;)

Arrived from Amazon just a few minutes ago so only read the blurb so far - but its scathing!

IMG_20200716_124042_635.JPG

Reactions: CAB
My last read was Vulcan 607 by Rowland White, the true story of the most ambitious air operation since the Ruhr dam.
I absolutely could not put this book down even to eat - the tension has you absolutely gripped from the outset and continues relentlessly to the end.
Highly recommended!

One of my favourites that I've read three or four times is Dan Walsh, "These are the days that must happen to you" - the diary of a literate & intelligent but rough-arsed biker on his ill-prepared travels around the dirty, war-torn corners of the world that would make Ewan & Charlie cry for their mums.

Other than that, I'm a sucker for nostalgia and I like to read my Biggles collection (yes, really!)

Phil
A big +1 for Vulcan 607, what an amazing story/historical account. I also enjoyed Chris Ryan's The One That Got Away, another amazing true story...

just downloaded Lee child
Bad luck and trouble ( Jack Reacher)
I've been listening to the Jack Reacher series as audiobooks. Currently about to start book 5 and I'm enjoying the series so far. It always makes me smile to think that in the book Jack is 6ft 5in and in the film he is played by Tom Cruise!

Just read the latest Jack Reacher, Blue Moon. Real page turner as always.

Bit concerned that Lee Child is co-writing the next one though - The Sentinel - with his brother Andrew. May be the beginning of the end....

Also just finished Peter James’ second book The Secret of Cold Hill. Good old fashioned ghost story, very much in the same genre as James Herbert used to write back in the day (maybe showing my age there!).

Recent reading was Black Rain by Jacob Ross, small island Carribean police detective thriller, bit like an harder version of Death in Paradise and really makes you want to explore the area... or sit in the hotel complex and assume the barman is probably a full on Yardie gangster.:sick:

Back