What’s the best head unit available?

@Absolut5 can you send me a price list over for a 2016 T6 please?

Currently rocking the factory set up so looking to upgrade the lot including reverse camera, speakers, sensors etc.

Last edited:
Just be aware that if you ever want to listen to Medium Wave you might not get any reception on a Kenwood unit in a T6 so if that's important stay away from that make.. I've got the DMX8019 which was sold to me as being an AM/FM/DAB receiver but a while after it was fitted I needed MW as DAB had dropped out and I couldn't get a mobile signal to listen to an important game. All I got on MW was white noise. I spoke with the well known company that fitted it to be told that basically that was how it was and there was nothing to be done - by that time, I was 6 months in and didn't think I had any choice but to accept it. I vaguely remember seeing somebody else posting on this site about the same thing. I would be interested in any solutions if the resident experts can offer anything.

So I have a 2022 T32 highline with the standard head unit, can I swap out this for a discovery pro from a mk7.5 golf?

3ABD634E-AE50-4EFF-81FE-5F5EEDFDAB9C.jpeg

So I have a 2022 T32 highline with the standard head unit, can I swap out this for a discovery pro from a mk7.5 golf?

View attachment 177989

its totally different as your headunit has all the connections behind it, where that unit in the picture requires a separate module, which sits behind dash.

I suggest swapping out for a aftermarket unit

Can thoroughly recommend the Kenwood DMX8020DABS. I wanted to keep our factory head unit but am so pleased we upgraded. Picked it from @Absolut5 last week with the fascia adaptor and all the required cables to keep factory functions. Got a nice little chat through of installation when I picked it up from them along with a few tips on any fiddly bits (routing microphone etc). :thumbsup:

Looking at the photos of these stereos is there anything out there with better fitment? All seem to look really small in the dash with the added surround and yet the halo type ones look out of place

Looking at the photos of these stereos is there anything out there with better fitment? All seem to look really small in the dash with the added surround and yet the halo type ones look out of place
They do have 7” screens, which are bigger than the Highline headunits and same size as the higher models , it’s just the buttons on the Oe units that take the space up.

The Kenwood dnx518dabs is a unit that is purely designed to fit the VW range

I've been very slowly (new job = far less time and far less pay but far more fun) working on a cunning plan to monitor/control a bunch of stuff (monitoring: temp/humitity, battery/aux battery charge level, location, a bunch of stuff from vcds; controlling: ac blower, recirc, auto start/stop, lighting, locks, etc) using a raspberry pi to make my van a little smarter. I was originally going to modify some ESP8266 based stuff I've been using for smart home automation, but have since decided that less reliance on wifi would be a good thing mainly for power reasons and the pi has WAAAAY more gpio pins to facilitate the monitoring/control side of things. A recent spanner in the works (and what brings me here) is that my (stock t6) head unit seems to be dying. Android auto drops out frequently (usually when I hit bumps, but sometimes on dead smooth road) and the touch screen doesn't work in some areas so it looks like I'm up for a new head unit which could present an opportunity. I was planning on running the rpi headless (no screen) but if I'm going to need to replace the head unit, perhaps it can pull double duty as a screen for the rpi...

So after all that, my question is are there any head units that can take a HDMI input and display it on screen? For extra bonus points, are there any that can provide touch screen capabilities to control the computer that would be providing said HDMI input?

I did consider going all out and replacing the head unit entirely with my rpi with a touch screen something like this
but getting it to work with the reversing camera, speakers, steering wheel controls etc would be just wayyyy too hard and I just don't have time for that at the moment.

I've been very slowly (new job = far less time and far less pay but far more fun) working on a cunning plan to monitor/control a bunch of stuff (monitoring: temp/humitity, battery/aux battery charge level, location, a bunch of stuff from vcds; controlling: ac blower, recirc, auto start/stop, lighting, locks, etc) using a raspberry pi to make my van a little smarter. I was originally going to modify some ESP8266 based stuff I've been using for smart home automation, but have since decided that less reliance on wifi would be a good thing mainly for power reasons and the pi has WAAAAY more gpio pins to facilitate the monitoring/control side of things. A recent spanner in the works (and what brings me here) is that my (stock t6) head unit seems to be dying. Android auto drops out frequently (usually when I hit bumps, but sometimes on dead smooth road) and the touch screen doesn't work in some areas so it looks like I'm up for a new head unit which could present an opportunity. I was planning on running the rpi headless (no screen) but if I'm going to need to replace the head unit, perhaps it can pull double duty as a screen for the rpi...

So after all that, my question is are there any head units that can take a HDMI input and display it on screen? For extra bonus points, are there any that can provide touch screen capabilities to control the computer that would be providing said HDMI input?

I did consider going all out and replacing the head unit entirely with my rpi with a touch screen something like this
but getting it to work with the reversing camera, speakers, steering wheel controls etc would be just wayyyy too hard and I just don't have time for that at the moment.

Kenwood DMX8020 DABS has a HDMI input but I think it is just to display/mirror what you plug into it.

Kenwood DMX8020 DABS has a HDMI input but I think it is just to display/mirror what you plug into it.
Thanks, I thought that may be the case. It would be exceptional for this particular use case but I don't know of too many people installing computers in their car permanently so it's probably pretty niche. I do like the look of the kenwoods but they're VERY exxy.

They do have 7” screens, which are bigger than the Highline headunits and same size as the higher models , it’s just the buttons on the Oe units that take the space up.

The Kenwood dnx518dabs is a unit that is purely designed to fit

Superb DNX 9190dabs , the best headunit … but super rare 

What's your thoughts on the Sony XAV-AX8050D?

Sorry forgot to tag @Absolut5 !

What's your thoughts on the Sony XAV-AX8050D?
A bit lacking to be honest, bland interface, no wireless feature.. and if you have factory parking sensors you will need to use a third party interface, which is quite expensive and graphically poor

Back