What’s the best head unit available?

Thanks for coming back to me @Paint. That’s the reason I asked as I have an Alpine HU with front and rear cameras hence pretty much stuck with Alpine HU now. Cheers

Thank you for reply and info Absolute5. I run with apple so would possibly be the 8019. Can you give me a ball park figure of costs unit, fitting kit, facias etc, including that of an extra front camera and required harness.
thank you.

Hi Guys,
I hope i am in the right area on the forum.
I just wish to give a mention for Absolute5
Thanks to Noel and everyone at Absolute5 for advice and the supplied T6 interface For my Keny 8019DABS.
It really was a straight forward swap out for the factory fitted unit. All leads etc clearly labelled. It seems the perfect head unit, great sound with 8” alpine speaker upgrade. All existing controls, display etc integrated flawlessly.
Very pleased with results.

Once again big thanks from west wales.

We have a T6.1 and fed up with the constant issues with the Vw factory fitted head unit, crackling playback on music, Apple airplay disconnecting if iPhone is jolted and not being able to reconnect unless van switched off completely and then restarted plus constant message on screen saying please connect device, when it is connected.

We have been recommended the Alpine Halo 9 but have also see the Alpine ilx,w690d has any one used these or have any recommendations. We do have steering wheel controls and a reversing camera. Just looking to see what others have and recommend

We have a T6.1 and fed up with the constant issues with the Vw factory fitted head unit, crackling playback on music, Apple airplay disconnecting if iPhone is jolted and not being able to reconnect unless van switched off completely and then restarted plus constant message on screen saying please connect device, when it is connected.

We have been recommended the Alpine Halo 9 but have also see the Alpine ilx,w690d has any one used these or have any recommendations. We do have steering wheel controls and a reversing camera. Just looking to see what others have and recommend
Post in thread 'What’s the best head unit available?'
I have the iLX w690D from Jason at @Absolut5 It’s a great head unit, but I’ve not had many to compare it to. I had three Discover Media unit in the van but had no end of problems with it. The Alpine is great - sounds better, works better and has Apple Car Play etc built in.

Not much in it, the 8020 is slightly newer and came with wireless android equipped… both units have wireless apple CarPlay , though the 8019 can do it , it came out before wireless android was released.. but if you run android then I do suggest going for the 8020

the graphics in my opinion are better with the 8019 and it will display more on the mfd

both will work with the factory parking sensors, reverse cam using the correct parts, and again both have front dash cam control
Hi just wondering when you say the reverse sensors still work with the 8020 does this include the visual as well as the audio?
@Absolut5

Last edited:
Post in thread 'What’s the best head unit available?'
I have the iLX w690D from Jason at @Absolut5 It’s a great head unit, but I’ve not had many to compare it to. I had three Discover Media unit in the van but had no end of problems with it. The Alpine is great - sounds better, works better and has Apple Car Play etc built in.
Does the reversing sensor display still work with this head unit ?

@Absolut5. I'm thinking of a Kenwood 8020 unit to replace the existing composition colour but am now wondering if it's really worth doing without upgrading the speakers and/or sound deadening in the doors. I'm also not convinced that it's within my abilities to fit it myself and would probably look to you guys to do the install. What do you reckon on the speaker upgrade/sound deadening point please? Also could you please PM me the cost for supply and fitting an 8020 in a 2018 Highline spec along with when you might be able to do it. Thank you.

@Absolut5. I'm thinking of a Kenwood 8020 unit to replace the existing composition colour but am now wondering if it's really worth doing without upgrading the speakers and/or sound deadening in the doors. I'm also not convinced that it's within my abilities to fit it myself and would probably look to you guys to do the install. What do you reckon on the speaker upgrade/sound deadening point please? Also could you please PM me the cost for supply and fitting an 8020 in a 2018 Highline spec along with when you might be able to do it. Thank you.
Pm on its way

Sorry if been asked before but was wondering if any way with aftermarket head units to add some sort of steering column or remote control (for volume primarily) without upgrading steering wheel? Thanks.

Sorry if been asked before but was wondering if any way with aftermarket head units to add some sort of steering column or remote control (for volume primarily) without upgrading steering wheel? Thanks.
Separate remote controls are getting rare these days as most vehicles have steering wheel controls,

pioneer did a steering wheel remote, but I’m not sure what its compatible with these days

PIONEER CD SR110​

Separate remote controls are getting rare these days as most vehicles have steering wheel controls,

pioneer did a steering wheel remote, but I’m not sure what its compatible with these days

PIONEER CD SR110​

Thanks. I’ll have a look but maybe upgraded steering wheel is way forward then. I’ll decide on ICE first.

@Absolut5 hi. I have the Kenwood 8020 and VW parking sensors, how do I get the same visual on the Kenwood? The sound is there but no visual

Does anyone know why the Kenwood DMX8019/8020 has a GPS aerial, but doesn’t have built in nav?

Back