What’s the best head unit available?

Dealer told me this was the best and newest head unit, gesture control and everything, new to vw`s so don`t know, but works great.

rad.jpg

I'm off to a local supplier at the weekend to look into replacing the head unit on my T6 Highline.

It needs:
Wireless Apple CarPlay.
Integration for things like the dash USB, reverse parking sensors, etc.
USB to play FLAC and not just MP3 as standard. Got my CD collection saved to FLAC on a thumbnail USB and it only plays bloody MP3!
OEM looking so no big screens, must slot into the space the OEM one goes into.

I can update what they recommend when I've been in for a chat. I'd love some upgraded speakers too, but my budget is only £1000 so likely too tight.

I'm off to a local supplier at the weekend to look into replacing the head unit on my T6 Highline.

It needs:
Wireless Apple CarPlay.
Integration for things like the dash USB, reverse parking sensors, etc.
USB to play FLAC and not just MP3 as standard. Got my CD collection saved to FLAC on a thumbnail USB and it only plays bloody MP3!
OEM looking so no big screens, must slot into the space the OEM one goes into.

I can update what they recommend when I've been in for a chat. I'd love some upgraded speakers too, but my budget is only £1000 so likely too tight.
Your best bet is the Kenwood DMX 8020dabs, installed using the correct parts will retain, dash usb, parking sensor display, wireless Apple CarPlay, and plays FLAC files from usb

however you will not get headunit with those features and a worthwhile speaker upgrade for you budget..

but we can supply it as a plug and play solution to save you Labour costs,

Drop me a message mate to discuss your options buddy.

Cheers
Chris

Hi @Absolut5 and @Dav-Tec have either of you any experience with the Snooper SMH-580VW

I've only had my T6 a couple of weeks and I'm already getting the hump with the factory Discover Media unit and was toying with firmware upgrades or buying a Wireless Android Auto adaptor to install in the dash but that feels like a workaround rather than a proper solution.

Interested in the Snooper as it appears to be designed for VW, but I'm not sure if it's sufficiently future proofed to allow for for additional speakers, subwoofer, perhaps rear screens etc. cheers for any insight/advice

Hi @Absolut5 and @Dav-Tec have either of you any experience with the Snooper SMH-580VW

I've only had my T6 a couple of weeks and I'm already getting the hump with the factory Discover Media unit and was toying with firmware upgrades or buying a Wireless Android Auto adaptor to install in the dash but that feels like a workaround rather than a proper solution.

Interested in the Snooper as it appears to be designed for VW, but I'm not sure if it's sufficiently future proofed to allow for for additional speakers, subwoofer, perhaps rear screens etc. cheers for any insight/advice
Looks like a very over priced rebranded Chinese unit if I'm honest.

For that kind of money I'd stick to something branded like Sony, Pioneer or Alpine

Yes as mentioned , there are many give away signs that show it’s a rebranded Chinese unit..

drop us a pm or call and il go through all the best options

All head units are Chinese made. Appears to be a problem with screen quality regarding Kenwood and Pioneer sourcing inferior screens after the last two years palaver with supply. This is my Kenwood DAB8020 screen which has been recalled

IMG_20221209_132015.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
@SAF1981. Was this a recall by Kenwood or your dealer only - got any details please? I ask as I had a thing appear on my 8020 a couple of months ago but it soon disappeared and I forgot about it!

All head units are Chinese made. Appears to be a problem with screen quality regarding Kenwood and Pioneer sourcing inferior screens after the last two years palaver with supply. This is my Kenwood DAB8020 screen which has been recalled

View attachment 182343
Excellent point buddy. The point myself and Jason are making is it's a cheaply made Chinese unit. Most units have components sourced in China or indeed South Korea, Taiwan etc. However the headunits themselves may be assembled in other countries (Pioneer, Alpine & Sony (mainly) from what I know made in Thailand and China). Even though Pioneer and Sony are Japanese, Alpine is French.

The key is the quality control which 95% of the time you get from Brands such as the above are very good at keeping on top of plus the UI is better polished and has good aftersales support.

I'm in no way knocking the Chinese electronics market. Just pointing out that especially as it's featured alot with Halfords it has all the hallmarks or a low spec, cheaply made unit that probably worth a third of the RRP.

Cheers
Chris

Alpine is Japanese too. There’s a French racing team also (confusingly) called Alpine.

You're right!

Still... You get my drift

Reactions: CJW
To be sinical and 100% correct ... All brands are 20% China factory, 80% Marketing buzzwords and BS .
My Kenwood was the seller arranging it for Kenwood to receive it. They said it's a known issue with Pioneer and Kenwood after they've had to source other suppliers for screens in the last two years. Its trapped condensation

To be sinical and 100% correct ... All brands are 20% China factory, 80% Marketing buzzwords and BS .
My Kenwood was the seller arranging it for Kenwood to receive it. They said it's a known issue with Pioneer and Kenwood after they've had to source other suppliers for screens in the last two years. Its trapped condensation
I've not seen it with Pioneer units. But they're correct with COVID, a Major Chinese factory catching fire and Russia/Ukraine going to rat shit alot of key players have had to source parts elsewhere

Back