Westfalia detachable towbar additional parts

Sorry to reopen this old thread! I am feckin fumin! Ordered my westfalia towbar ages ago for my T6.1 ... that I ordered with towbar prep and I’m wondering why the blazes VW did not fit the above part instead of the standard item???
Surely it makes sense that if they’re putting in the wires and fuses for a towbar ...people are going to need this too.
Im sitting with my bumper off, spare wheel out, a dozen or so bolts and clips loose and trim and liners on my drive and now I can’t finish the job. VW say they won’t have the part for 2 full days.
Damn you VW!
Ok, rant over
Weird and irritating! Yes, you’d expect it to come as part of the pre-wiring! It’s a bit like having to but a separate power lead for an electrical appliance! The argument will be that the tow bar beam becomes part of the rear collision protection and, without the tow bar being fitted, they leave the bumper beam. Removing that and putting the plastic packer in leaves you without protection. Still, I agree, the packer could have been delivered with the pre-wired van. (Weird as our pre-wired van had both bumper beam and packer!)

Weird and irritating! Yes, you’d expect it to come as part of the pre-wiring! It’s a bit like having to but a separate power lead for an electrical appliance! The argument will be that the tow bar beam becomes part of the rear collision protection and, without the tow bar being fitted, they leave the bumper beam. Removing that and putting the plastic packer in leaves you without protection. Still, I agree, the packer could have been delivered with the pre-wired van. (Weird as our pre-wired van had both bumper beam and packer!)
Is the packer the foam pads that people have mentioned or is a plastic alternative beam that facilitates fitting the tow bar?

Is the packer the foam pads that people have mentioned or is a plastic alternative beam that facilitates fitting the tow bar?
It’s like a hard plastic “moulding” that sits against the van to stop the bumper from flapping/buckling when the protector beam is removed. After all, the tow bar “mounting bar” becomes the new protector beam. But, as it sits forward, the bumper plastic at rear door can “flap”. I hope I’m explaining myself...!

@Desmoben I take it you didn't have a metal beam originally? I assume T6 and T6.1 are the same in this respect.
Hi, Thats right, the T6.1 doesn’t come with a metal beam as standard. The literature that came with the towbar suggests that the T6 and 6.1 are indeed the same in that respect.

Reading this thread has made me think about checking my back bumper as it has a westfalia towbar fitted. Something to check in the morning!

Reading this thread has made me think about checking my back bumper as it has a westfalia towbar fitted. Something to check in the morning!
Just press down on the plastic bumper....if it feels “weak” or “flappy” it needs the packer that holds the inner edge

Just press down on the plastic bumper....if it feels “weak” or “flappy” it needs the packer that holds the inner edge
Will have a look in the morning! Thanks

From a VW dealer. The part number is quoted earlier in this thread. May also be available on EBay.

Pete
Finally got the alternative plastic bracket, realised then that I’d not ordered the grommets or plugs.
Then remembered I had some left over from when I changed the original interior panelling- and luckily these fitted a treat.
When I looked up the spacers and found out they were just high density styrofoam- I rang my mate Fran who has this giant contraption for making styrofoam signage and promotional material and sent him the image and dimensions (that a member was good enough to include in their response to this thread- thanks.... anyway Fran will have them for me today -FOC.
Happy days!

Just checked mine and its pretty solid so i would guess mine has the packer or something in place.

Is the new beam and foam pads required for all tow bars or just the Westfalia? I've had a Tow Trust installed before and didn't notice the bumper flexing issue (granted it was on a shuttle so the parts might already have been there). The tow bar was already installed when I bought the van as well, whereas I'm looking to put a detachable tow trust on my new PV with the right connections wiring loom from pf jones

Is the new beam and foam pads required for all tow bars or just the Westfalia? I've had a Tow Trust installed before and didn't notice the bumper flexing issue (granted it was on a shuttle so the parts might already have been there). The tow bar was already installed when I bought the van as well, whereas I'm looking to put a detachable tow trust on my new PV with the right connections wiring loom from pf jones
Just westfalia. Tow trust does not need them.

Looks like Tow-Trust have sized their own crossmember to avoid the need for the packing pieces.

Peter

Yeh which makes sense, no idea why Westfalia haven't done something similar considering it's what VW use... I must admit though I still want a westfalia. I'm guessing the person on the previous pages who used the angle grinder to shape the crash bar had a Kombi rather than a PV (hence a different more robust metal crash bar). Does anyone know the part number for that crash bar and if it will fit a Panel Van? I assume it will but I've learned over the years to never assume anything with these parts and compatibility. I like the idea of putting the adapted kombi crash bar in place with the westaflia for better protection (rather than a plastic mould) and gives me the perfect fixing point for my 240v hook up.

Back