Rear bumper flex after towbar fitting

ansgurr

Hi all
I recently had a towbar fitted, as part of the procedure they removed the rear impact bar which I understand is necessary. Following this there is quite a lot of flex (5-10mm) in the upper surface of the rear bumper if you apply weight to it, before it stops on the towbar support underneath. From other posts I see you can buy an insert to stop this.

How much of a problem is this? Presumably I would be within my rights to ask my towbar fitter to come back and install the insert - is it worth the bother? Would you have expected this to be done as part of the job, or am I being unnecessarily picky?

Thanks!

@ansgurr Hi.
I assume that in your trawl of the forum you came across this post? If not, have a good look through it.

Some tow bar kits include a spacer as standard and some don't (westfalia). There is a VW part used for this purpose which some people have had to buy. Others, myself included, managed to cut the old crash structure to fit around the tow bar frame. The installer should have mentioned this really, even if it wasn't included as it is a known consequence.

Last edited:
Thanks that's helpful. It's a towtrust towbar- not clear if spacers included or not but given the movement in the bar I'm assuming not

our TOW TRUST tow bar kit doesn't require the spacer . . .

the bumper skin sits on top of the bar its self. . .

so what tow bar have you got exactly?

+++++++++++

1709545080258.png
+++++++++++++++

@Dellmassive
That's interesting - thanks for the insight. Maybe it's just a normal amount of flex and nothing to worry about. It's a towtrust TVW9SN if that sheds any light.

Back