Westfalia detachable towbar additional parts

We had the Westfalia towbar plus electrics fitted today by PF Jones. The following may be of use to people going this route.

When the fitter removed the rear bumper, there was no metal crash protection beam behind it, just a big plastic moulding running the full width. This sort of makes sense, as ours started life as a panel van, so you don't need to protect people in the back of the vehicle.

This big plastic moulding was removed, and the full width plastic rail (7H0 807 723) was fitted using the 8 clips and grommets. This bit is important as it supports the bumper on its leading front edge.

Then the Westfalia beam was fitted. The fitter said that he had been told that we didn't need to fit the 2 foam inserts (7H0 807 252), but we put them on anyway.

Hope this of use to folks.

Pete

This is what we want our converted panel van too. Had no idea about this, but it makes sense now, thankyou! Did you have to source these extra parts from VW @Pete C, or did PF Jones get it as part of your towbar fitment?

When I spoke to PF Jones, they recommended I get them myself. Below is a copy of the VW invoice : £74.27 inc VAT

Pete

IMG_7537.jpg

And this is the big plastic moulding left over. You can clearly see what the bumper rests on, and why the foam pads are required.

Pete

IMG_7538.jpg

As a heads up just ordered the same parts as @Pete C invoice, from JCT600 Wakefield for less than £30 after asking for a discount. Originally the guy quoted the same prices as above. Maybe something to aim for for others when buying parts

Sorry guys the parts monkey got it wrong and charged me an extra £38 when the missus went to collect, unless she’s spent it on gin and is not telling me !

If you have any practical tendancies, consider costing the parts plus vcds. Then compare that to a fitters cost. You might be surprised and you have vcds after for all the other little tweeks that take your fancy...

I’ve had an email from pfjones today, saying don’t bother with the foam pads and get the plastic rail and clips instead,
Am I right in thinking a caravelle will already have the plastic tail?

My 2019 caravelle had the plastic rail but it did come with towbar prep

I’ve had an email from pfjones today, saying don’t bother with the foam pads and get the plastic rail and clips instead,

The plastic rail and foam pads support the bumper in different places. Having had this towbar fitted, I would not miss out the foam pads.

Pete

Think I’ll order some then, not sure if I should get the rail as well, incase mine doesn’t have one fitted?

Pretty sure it's just the PV that needs the plastic rail. My van started out as a PV and I fitted the rail and foam inserts when the Westfalia was fitted.
See link below for previous thread on the subject.

General VW T6 Chat

That might be prudent, unless someone else can categorically confirm that it is fitted. It may be possible to see if it is already there by peering in behind the bumper from below ? I don’t have our van close by to see if this is possible.

Check that VW will take it back (along with other fixings) if not required ?

Pete

I didn’t see the kind offer above before I ordered the recommended parts, asked the dealer if I could return them if not needed and was told no..

I fitted my tow bar last night on my MY17 Caravelle which has no factory tow bar prep. It did not have the plastic rail or the foam pads so I'll be getting hold of them now and taking it to pieces again. It's not the Westfalia tow bar but looks very similar. I should have paid more attention and read all the product info on the website!

Last edited:
Back