Transporter or Multivan conversion?

AusSimon

Australian Member
Hi All!

I would really appreciate some guidance on which van would be best suited and mose cost effective.

I can get either a:
2016 T6, 340tdi SWB Multivan with 100,000 klms on it for $33,500
Or a:
2017 T6, 340tdi SWB Transporter with 100,000 klms on it for $27,500 (it has roof racks already too)

These are both great deals considering the market here

On the positive side, the Multivan comes with windows all the way around, which is a must for me, the Transporter would need 4 side windows installed at the cost of $2500.
Also positive for the multi van is:
- roof lining/lighting
- more comfortable front seat
- Slightly better dash board and electronics, not a huge one for me
- insulated already (I am really not sure about this).. it’s always hot here, so it’s not as essential, but I would do some for sure.
- I’m not sure about other differences… reverse camper maybe…

On the maybe negative side:
- two sliding doors
- less cargo space taken up by plastic (i can’t find any info on the size difference, this is a big concern…)

I’m sure there are other differences that I don’t know about???

I don’t need any rear seats, I’m not doing a pop top. I’ll do:
- side awning, roof racks
- duel battery (solar blanket when needed)
- upright fridge probably 50-65 litres
- bed with under storage
And that’s all, I like to take all my cooking outside and set up on a table. Never really needed large amounts of water storage the way I camp either or a sink. My old camper had an internal kitchen and sink, oh and a shower, never used it once.

So yeah, I am very new to VW’s, I camped for a few months on and off in a Toyota about 3 years ago. So any advice guidance you more experienced campers/converters can give would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Simon

I think I may move to Australia if they want 2500 for 4 windows
That can't be correct can it ?

Actually just heard back from the multi van guy, he can do $32,500. Now 1,000 less than I had above.

Haha actually I reduced the cost by a few hundred dollars assuming I could haggle them down to $2,500.
Here is the quote for $2,836 (including taxes) van stuff in Australia is just extortion, but I’m not sure it’s going to last much longer:

IMG_0608.jpeg

I presume at that price for the sliding windows they may be using genuine VW glass which I think is around £500 to buy. But they do have many leak issues so maybe worth checking what glass they are actually fitting.
Here is our prices supplied and fitted Inc vat.
Maybe look at importing some aftermarket glass ? Could you fit them yourself ? I'd be happy to chat if you need help fitting.

Screenshot_20230921_072850_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for that Brandon. Hmmm.. I don’t think these are original…but I may be wrong. I have had a really good look for other suppliers, and I could do the install myself as well, just didn’t want to complicate the original post, and I don’t have any tools so would need to get a grinder and jig saw, which I would be happy to get.
I did see these guys:

330 pounds is about $635 Aus dollars. But the above price is without installation.

Back