Weird Noise

Neil Nicholls

Approaching 100k
T6 Guru
I have a weird sound going on, with my 204. Between 45-55 there is a noticeable drone, sounds like gearbox or axle whine. It happens again between 85-95
I`ve knocked the box into neutral, and that makes no difference, same sound.
I`ve not run it back to Vw yet, as I don`t want to be fobbed off with, its road noise or something similar. I think there is a problem, just don`t know what.
Any ideas ?

How many miles on the van?

What gearbox? DSG?

Didn't we have a thread the other day about a noisy 5speed manual gearbox....end result was a replacement box under warranty?

Last edited:
...Between 45-55 there is a noticeable drone, sounds like gearbox or axle whine. It happens again between 85-95....
I think in the interests of a more conclusive test you ought to try going up to the next increment and see if you get it at 125-135 as well ;):D:devil::whistle:!

Here's the thread from the other day....

Gearbox Rattle

T28, 102ps, 5 speed

Does any of those symptoms sound familiar?

He got a new box in the end!

Here's the thread from the other day....

Gearbox Rattle

T28, 102ps, 5 speed

Does any of those symptoms sound familiar?

He got a new box in the end!
No, not really. Its a proper drone, and not at all speeds, or just low speeds. It starts at bang on 45 and stops at 55. Really weird. Even with clutch in, or in neutral the noise there

In any gear at that speed?

Are we thinking drive train vibration?

Or Wheel ballancing/tracking vibration is normally something you drive through and is speed related.?

A rear wheel out of balance maybe? I'm assuming you would feel front balance vibration through the steering wheel.

Not roof bars droning is it?

If not I would assume it had to be wheels, drive shaft, diff in box, onput shaft in box, ?

Yep, any gear, or neutral. No vibration, that I can feel, just a drone.
No vibration through the lever, pedal or wheel
I suppose it could be a rear wheel out of balance, I never thought of that. The rears are a bit low, so I might just change them and see.
Thanks

Yep, any gear, or neutral. No vibration, that I can feel, just a drone.
No vibration through the lever, pedal or wheel
I suppose it could be a rear wheel out of balance, I never thought of that. The rears are a bit low, so I might just change them and see.
Thanks

Good idea.....

Keep us posted with your results.

Wheel bearing? Noise get worse when Corning a certain direction?
Also a feathered tyre can cause a drone noise.

I had this once before, really strange, could not figure it out for the life of me.
No vibration or anything.
Turned out to be a dodgy tyre.
Some of the cords had broken and the tyre had worn a massive flat spot.

I have been experiencing droning metallic sound from underneath front windscreen area/front driver tyre or front wiper. Couldn't find anything loose under the bonnet. Starts at 60mph.Cannot pinpoint it! Started month ago. 24000miles on the clock. Dsg Velle 150. Considering calling vw. Could not find any information on interet either. Help! It drives me mad.

Back