Gearbox Rattle

M44XAC

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem I have recently had with my van, its only got 20,000 miles on the clock. So, I heard a rattle at low speed in 1-3 gear, you could only really hear it when driving through built up areas where the noise had something to bounce off. Took it into VW as it was still under warranty, they had the gearbox out, replaced the roller bearings between some of the gears, flywheel, and driveshaft bearings. The van still rattled - they got back in contact with VW in Germany for their advice and they suggested a completely new box. So all in they've had the van for 2 weeks, thrown in a courtesy car, put in a new gearbox and the van no longer rattles. Really happy with Listers in Stratford-upon-Avon, but I didn't expect to have a fault like this on such a young van. Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

You done good getting it replaced!

I gave up with my local dealer regarding gearbox noise.

Interesting.......

What van, engine, gearbox did you have?

With my first T5, VW had the gearbox out, and to bits 4 times, rather than replace it. The fact is their techs are incompetent to carry out this work, which requires a degree of skill. In the end they gave up and fitted a new box.

With my first T5, VW had the gearbox out, and to bits 4 times, rather than replace it. The fact is their techs are incompetent to carry out this work, which requires a degree of skill. In the end they gave up and fitted a new box.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I had a really good tech, really knew his onions. Don't suppose you want to name and shame the dealers? Cant imagine it was Stratford-o-A.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I had a really good tech, really knew his onions. Don't suppose you want to name and shame the dealers? Cant imagine it was Stratford-o-A.

No, it was Nottingham Van Centre. They eventually lost the vwcv franchise.

Any chance you can explain the rattle?
Was it a permanent thing or every now and then?

It's not really that uncommon for any vehicle to have issues, it's how the dealer handles the situation that counts.

My wife's 2017 Range Rover is on first name terms with the service guys, 11 unscheduled visits in 12 months, although touch wood is has settled down now.

I got a brand new V8D Landcruiser about 5 years ago, these are the ultimate go anywhere 4x4 with legendary reliability, except that mine broke down on the M27 with 52 miles on the clock and needed a new gearbox, something silly like £9000 and had to be air freighted over from the factory as it was the first to ever need replacing in the UK, apparently.

No issues with my T32 so far in 6 months and 7000 miles, glad to hear yours is all good now :cool:

Any chance you can explain the rattle?
Was it a permanent thing or every now and then?
You know when you walk back from the dishwasher with a stack of baking trays and they rattle together? It sounded like that! Really loud and really tinny.
Only from 1-3 gears constantly, didn’t appear to effect performance

Interesting. I've noticed a random rattle on mine. It starts between 25-30mph and sounds like a rattly exhaust guard. The rattle doesn't seem to get faster with speed and at 45mph the noise in the van blocks it. There is no difference wether your coasting in gear and/Or accelerating. I hadn't given it much thought until I read this.
I have 2 months on warranty so may bung it in and see what I can get.
I shall change my tyres first though to factory size.

Interesting. I've noticed a random rattle on mine. It starts between 25-30mph and sounds like a rattly exhaust guard. The rattle doesn't seem to get faster with speed and at 45mph the noise in the van blocks it. There is no difference wether your coasting in gear and/Or accelerating. I hadn't given it much thought until I read this.
I have 2 months on warranty so may bung it in and see what I can get.
I shall change my tyres first though to factory size.
Yeah, that’s what I thought it was at first, I hope I havnt put the fear of god into you. I would get it checked, knowing what they did to mine. What’s your mileage?

Mileage is just shy of 20k.
No fear of god. Just raised awareness to get things checked before warranty runs out. This is my first vehicle I've owned with warranty. I'm used to waiting for the noise to become really loud or the part to break to help diagnoses.
I guess if the box does break when out of warranty I get an excuse to try and drop a 6 speed box on it and then get it chipped.

I take mine for the first MOT a bit early, just in case there is something wrong that the warranty would cover. On my last van, although it didn't affect the MOT, they mentioned that a drive shaft seal was leaking, so i got it done, just inside warranty.

I was chatting to @Pauly at busfest about his warranty extension, sadly I've forgotten all the details. Have you written your process on here already anywhere Paul?
My van was a year old when I got it and extending the warranty is a tad more difficult.

Dropped my van off today to have this issue looked at. I've used a new garage on reccomendation from @Fish and having spoke with his guy I have faith this garage will solve the issue.

Dropped my van off today to have this issue looked at. I've used a new garage on reccomendation from @Fish and having spoke with his guy I have faith this garage will solve the issue.

Don't forget..that's 'my guy!'... so you can not claim him tobe yours...

So I have this rattle noise too- seemingly between 1st and 2nd gear. I took it into my local VWCV dealer whilst it was also in for a service. The van has done 27k.
They said “it’s normal” and that I shouldn’t worry - ironically the warranty expires next week.
They said if I pay for 5 hours labour (£480+VAT) then they would strip the gearbox and check it, if they find anything then I wouldn’t have to put but if they don’t I would. I declined, feeling messed about and not wanting an argument.

I don’t pretend to be a mechanic, but I’m not foolish enough to believe this is “normal”. If I have the passenger window down going around town it’s very easy to hear the noise, not a normal noise.

what would you do in this situation? I know for sure it’s not normal so part of me wants to pay the labour - but I have a feeling they’ll claim nothing was found and I’m out of pocket. That £480 is better spent on the extended warranty in my opinion.
Thoughts?

Thought I'd add a quick update to this for anyone with the same issue.
I decided to agree to the extra labour because driving through town I was really conscious of the sound. I've just had a call to say that the flywheel is the cause of the issue and they're replacing under warranty so I don't need to pay the labour costs. :waving:
They gave me a lower price to also replace the clutch at the same time - usually I'd say no to this sort of thing but I'm planning a 2k trip in August around Europe so I told them to go ahead, it just made sense to have it done while the van was undergoing surgery rather than potentially having the clutch go on the Alps and a minimum £1k bill and days of the holiday lost.

Hi just reading the above posts. I have exactly the same problem. When I heard the noise I took it to my local vw dealer who inspected the flywheel as it sounded like this could be the issue. But after a look and a test drive he said he couldn't hear anything. So I asked to come out with another mechanic for a drive and he said he "thought" he could hear something. I don't know how they couldn't hear it its like a bag of spanners in 1st to 3rd gear. Phoned the garage where I bought it from and luckily the flywheel was a new part so under warrenty and was replaced as it had failed. However the noise is still there. I took it back yesterday but their mechanics say they can't hear anything either! Glad I'm not he only one having this issue (in the nicest possible way) as I though I was going mad!

Back