Diagnose possible front wheel bearing noise DSG (not easy to spin wheel)

jayc001

T6 Pro
Hi Folks, I'm trying to diagnose front end noise which sounds like a wheel bearing and comes in about 30mph and is most noticeable to 50mph after which general road noise kind of drowns it out. I can't spin the front wheels in neutral (Engine running or off) enough to generate and noise or vibration in the same way you can on the rear wheels.

Wheels/tyres have recently been changed and made no difference (actually I think it is a little quieter which is weird as db rating for new tyres is actually higher than old). Recently had 4 wheel alignment and this made no difference. Pretty sure the noise is from the front and I don't believe the DQ500 is susceptible to output bearing noise. The noise persists when DSG is freewheeling.

Van is at 88k and under extended warranty. Would VW consider this as a warranty claim or would 88k be fair wear/tear? It is lowered on 20" wheels but could put original 17" back on for diagnosis if they are likely to push back on warranty due to larger wheels/increased bearing strain.

Any thoughts?

When a previous Discovery had a noise like this, the dealer put it up on the ramp, and one guy drove it whilst it was in the air, the other went around the vehicle to find the noise and found the wheel bearing to be at fault.
Definitely get it as stock as possible if you want a warranty or good will to be considered.

Back