Water in engine bay/under battery

Rayvk

VIP Member
Hey guys,
Hope you’re all well. Just wondering if anyone can ease my mind and confirm if this is an unavoidable problem. Noticed a small leak in the passenger footwell of my 2017 T6 transporter (second image). Pulled the glove box off and found no real damp spots. Pulled the scuttle panel off, cleaned the leaves and noticed that one of the cables running from the scuttle recess to behind the battery was damp. Checked the rest of the battery compartment and the material mat the battery is mounted to is saturated. The rain has been absolutely torrential in Australia (100mm a day and van parked outside) at the moment so I figured this is something to be expected. Can someone please confirm if this is unavoidable and a non issue before I start pulling more things apart?

5EE04238-84C9-428B-A9EC-50464335C07A.jpeg

0CD107CD-20BA-4CD9-B9B7-6D7D2CDF44ED.jpeg

1BAAA374-1CEB-4FFA-8066-A4F44AB86DDA.jpeg

Check the drains on your skuttle are clear. You could also check the grommets around any cable coming in, particularly behind your battery

Check the drains on your skuttle are clear. You could also check the grommets around any cable coming in, particularly behind your battery
Will do! I just need to get something to get the wipers off, real tough buggers!

Will do! I just need to get something to get the wipers off, real tough buggers!
You shouldn’t need to remove the skuttle - don’t think wipers need to come off

Hi Rayvk, I have the same issue, it's been doing it for a couple of years, have you found the issue, I've stripped my van dash and wiper scuttle panel, I've located the rain water pooling in a area where the passenger door loom goes through, it's not coming from roof rack, I'm confident it's not the windscreen, I've took the passenger wing off and there are no holes or groom it's missing! Let me know your findings if sorted, cheers

Did you ever find the leak? Mine was like this today, really heavy rain for the past couple days

Having the same issue, causing all sorts of engine circuit A error codes :'(. Someone with a fix?

First thing to check is the scuttle area is draining well and then the grommets.for the wiring in the battery area.

It's also worth checking the roof bolts as if water gets around the outer seal it tends to run inside the two metal surfaces and down the pillars.

First thing to check is the scuttle area is draining well and then the grommets.for the wiring in the battery area.

It's also worth checking the roof bolts as if water gets around the outer seal it tends to run inside the two metal surfaces and down the pillars.
Thx! Will do a deep check and clean when it stops raining. Had a list of error codes after going to the carwash and now with heavy rain. Limb-mode, engine managent light and gow plug light :rolleyes:.

Thx! Will do a deep check and clean when it stops raining. Had a list of error codes after going to the carwash and now with heavy rain. Limb-mode, engine managent light and gow plug light :rolleyes:.
Get something that will read the error codes and take out VIP Membership to get access to the wiring diagrams. With a list of which modules/sensors are raising faults and the diagrams you can probably locate which loom connectors may be letting water in.

Get something that will read the error codes and take out VIP Membership to get access to the wiring diagrams. With a list of which modules/sensors are raising faults and the diagrams you can probably locate which loom connectors may be letting water in.
Thank you !

Back