washing engine: yes or no?

marsie

Sold up
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have just bought a t6 and the inside and outside are spotless but the engine bay is a disgrace (dusty crap, not oil). will I be safe to give the engine a blast with the pressure washer or is it a bit of a gamble on VWs? I am used to land rovers and when they get dirty there is no problem with blasting them but I don't want to do the van and cause a world of grief with wet plugs/sensors etc.

Might be better spraying with some detailing cleaner and working in with a brush. Brings back memories back in the day when my mate had his rover SDi engine bay cleaned, oh how we laughed when it wouldn't start

i do a gentle jetwash to clean the engine bay. (maybe twice a year)

+++

cold engine,
spay on some truck wash.
brush around a bit.
gently jetwash off.
drip dry for 10mins
then a quick 10min drive to fully dry off.

+++

My normal procedure for cleaning the engine bay is as follows.
Spray on Autoglym “Engine and Machine Cleaner”
Leave to soak for a few minutes and then agitate with a brush.
Wash off with a spray gun at normal mains pressure (not a pressure washer)
While still wet, spray with Autoglym “Vinyl and Rubber Care”
Close the bonnet and leave to dry.

The question I have is, do I need to protect the 3 little filters under the bonnet that are circled in the picture below, or doesn’t it matter if they get wet?
Thanks for any replies. :thumbsup:

70086167-F5A2-4516-8B86-C929A7A7B0CA.jpeg

I think these vw engines are temperamental enough as it is so not sure I’d want to risk it!

Mine's dusty but the dust won't hurt anything, knowing my luck I'd get water somewhere water shouldn't be so it can stay dusty.

Get a Caravelle engine cover and a T5 battery cover. There's less to see then.

My normal procedure for cleaning the engine bay is as follows.
Spray on Autoglym “Engine and Machine Cleaner”
Leave to soak for a few minutes and then agitate with a brush.
Wash off with a spray gun at normal mains pressure (not a pressure washer)
While still wet, spray with Autoglym “Vinyl and Rubber Care”
Close the bonnet and leave to dry.

The question I have is, do I need to protect the 3 little filters under the bonnet that are circled in the picture below, or doesn’t it matter if they get wet?
Thanks for any replies. :thumbsup:

View attachment 157837
Don’t get them wet… there is also 4th filter …it’s on the R/H side (as you face the van ) about 1/2 way down.. try and cover with cling film …or it’s about £14 ea
been there and learnt my lesson :eek:

I have washed mine twice now and never covered anything without problem.
View attachment 157838
Comes up well for a 2016 VW.

Yeah, I've never covered anything on previous vehicles I've owned but I've never had a vehicle with those filters before.
Your engine looks different to mine, I can't see those filters on yours and my oil filler cap is on the left. Mine's a 2018 204.

I cleaned my 17plate 204 engine for the first time earlier in the year. Sprayed it with neat TFR, turned the steam cleaner down to minimum pressure & around 70C, kept away from the filters on the scuttle & gave it a good clean off. Let it dry & then a spray over with Autoglym rubber & plastic. Came up a treat & no issues whatsoever. Just be sensible.

Back