Warranty worries over 20” and DSG

Vw t6err

Has anyone had issues with warranty running bigger alloys? Also would 20,S cause problems with my DSG gearbox

Lots of people run 20's with a DSG box... I'm not aware of anybody seeing issues with this set up.

Have you been reading that stuff in the Team Brown thread? (I think it was Team Brown)

Size of the alloy is not relevant. Rolling diameter of the wheel and tyre combo is. I'm sure the DSG could cope with the biggest rolling diameter you could fit on the van. DSG box is very strong, and has been used on some heavily tuned engines.

Now VW supply 20’s I think they would struggle to void a warranty claim especially if you use the approved tyre size

I'm interested in this thread from the standpoint of fitting a larger AT tyre and just been told by my tyre fitter that he wouldn't do it as likely to cause issues with the DSG (who to be fair they are pretty automotive minded as they race defenders are know their onions about off tyres road tyres and stuff).

What would be a 'standard'rolling diameter of of a 20" tyre with appropriate tyres fitted?

Thanks

Thanks ThreebridgeT6, got that site already, just wanted an idea of a 20" wheel and tyre so I could compare on the site!
If you go here - Rimstyle - and enter your vehicle details it will recommend rims and tyres suitable for your vehicle. You could then put that into the 'willtheyfit' site and compare to the standard sizes. If you're in the market for new wheels, give @BognorMotors a call - Oli sorted me out with some Judds a lot quicker than Rimstyle could.

All happy to quote for wheels and tyres. Thanks for the recommend. We deal in all the makes - when they are in stock ;-)

Thanks guys. I've got original vw steels that I'm reconditioning and looking to put on Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S's 225/70/16. Just trying to work out whether the load rating of 103 is good enough for a 2015 T5.1 LWB T30 and also whether it's likely to cause any DSG issues? A bit convoluted I know, but I was trying to compare to any issues with DSG box that people had had with larger wheels / circumference. Cheers

Now VW supply 20’s I think they would struggle to void a warranty claim especially if you use the approved tyre size
If it does not increase the rolling radius, then there is no increase in the forces to the gearbox irrespective of the rim diameter

Has anyone had issues with warranty running bigger alloys? Also would 20,S cause problems with my DSG gearbox

Have you had a warranty issue? I've just bough an approved used from VW (T32 DSG 4Motion), the tyres fitted (265/40 R20) meet the load of a T32 but are too big as per the spec. Its' still got 2year left on the warranty, I'm worried VW will use this against me if there is an issue.

Have you had a warranty issue? I've just bough an approved used from VW (T32 DSG 4Motion), the tyres fitted (265/40 R20) meet the load of a T32 but are too big as per the spec. Its' still got 2year left on the warranty, I'm worried VW will use this against me if there is an issue.
Surely if that’s how it came from an approved used VW then it is under the warranty as that is how they sold it. I’m running 20,s with a DSG and have no problems. But I run a caravelle and it’s never gonna be a fully loaded van. Remember these vans are all commercial designed to carry a big payload So slightly bigger wheels can’t make much difference. Sure I understand the maths and rolling resistance and all that but they must have fail safe tolerances built in.

Back