Warranty Factory Alloys

Raggerty

Mystery
VIP Member
Just coming to the end of the end of the factory 3 yr warranty and have noticed what appears to be corrosion under the lacquer on 2 alloys. So, duly took it to be checked for warranty by local dealer with a couple of other minor issues that needed to be looked at.

The dealer apparently took it on themselves to say when chased as they didn’t call me when agreed, that it’s not deemed as warranty as he thinks it’s related to stone chip damage on the edge of the inside spokes of the wheels (Palmerston 18”), 2 on the front 2 on the rear wheel so didn’t even approach VW.

Has anyone had this issue with a claim on alloys and by a dealer who at first didn’t want to get off his arse to look at them in the first instance and only after my insistence he then did only didn’t even want to help with lodging a claim with VW as he self declares it’s not warranty.

Possibly will speak to VW directly on their customers service line but just wanted to know if anyone has experienced warranty on alloys. Mileage is under 10k from new! Tia.

64FD059B-C10D-4678-BCB5-3EB1471354B9.jpeg

AEFCDBB6-4023-4DF4-92B3-C8A35A1E067F.jpeg

Not VW, but BMW replaced all 4 wheels under warranty on my old 3 series under warranty 3 months before the warranty expired so not completely unexpected. I actually send it in for 2 of them, and the dealership claimed for 4 suggesting that the new 2 would not match the existing two!

I remember a few years back that a few members on the Golf GTI forum had wheels replaced under warranty due to 'white worm'. Recently similar claims have been rejected.

I had all four Diamond turned wheels replaced under warranty just before van was 3 years old (I had 5yr extended factory warranty).
The turned front face was showing signs of worming under the lacquer

tyres were original tyres so no damage from fitting tyres, balancing etc.

the dealer agreed that the worming on front face was not Damage from stone chips etc on three out of the four wheels.

The key fact was that as well as front faces having worming the rears of all four were corroded and paint bubbling in various places, it could not have been stone chips, so dealer / VW could not claim the corrosion was due to stone chips etc.

check the rear of the wheels very carefully if there is any corrosion you can claim the paint process was / is faulty

See photos of the rears bubbling , the fronts weren’t bad but were showing signs of worming without chips to the lacquer.

IMG_0766.jpeg

IMG_0767.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0768.jpeg

Thanks guys for your replies. Will try another dealer or maybe the original suppling dealer though a fair distance from Cheshire.

Not a VW and a long time ago but Toyota replaced 7 wheels under warranty on my MR2. Most untoyota like for stuff like that to go wrong but the way they dealt with it was top notch.

The perfect application for anodising, however it would put a dent in wheel sales as they’d outlast the car.
For ever person that claims on warranty there are many more who don’t bother.

Back