Warranty issues with crankcase seal

Mick

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all,

just thought I’d post this.
I put my T6 in for a final warranty inspection 44k miles and a DSG oil change They came back with a couple of issues.
Crank case seal leaking, rear discs worn and pitted, door seal drivers side defective.

When I had my tyres changed last week the guy warned me I had an oil Leak

some of you may recall they changed my crank case seal Last August so I queried it. Seems like VW recognised the design of the seal Was out by 2mm and they had re designed it. They assure me it is now sorted. I also overheard the parts guy saying we are running out of seals.

Now this is a BIG job to sort. Minimum 10 man hours and very costly.
So my heads up to you guys is this. If you’ve had your oil seal done up to August last year you may well have a seal that is going to leak. I’d also check for any leaks and have a word.
As an aside that was also the 2nd door seal

nice one Mick . . .

good info . . .

whats the issues with "door seal drivers side defective."?

Initially I saw a report showing that rust setting in on the underlying spiral metal. That was the cause of the 1 st change. This one I’ve no idea I was so annoyed at the crankcase stuff I didn’t ask.

Absolutely bloody livid. Just spotted oil on my driveway. Got under the van and it's everywhere from the same area they've just repaired! Dipstick show the oil a quarter way down the stick when it was full the morning after i got it back. i did check!

So my 6am start tomorrow for a bimble with the dog is changing to a drive to Coventry van centre to let rip.

Twice now they messed this up. Tossers.

I've had mine done twice as well at listers Coventry , the first time last summer then again a week before the warranty ran out . I did question it and he said oh this time it was the other side !!!! The van is used for work so another 3 to 4 days off the road

Mine is still in there. hoping to get it back tomorrow then it’s a formal letter to VW.

Where's the leak from OP, the front crank pulley behind the cam belt, or somewhere else ?

We’ve just one fitted as well on a 67 plate 150 DSG
time will tell

Along with new flywheel ? Apparently chattering
A auxiliary belt and new tensioner

Only took them ten days

Oh crap. Mine was done last year under warranty too. It's now out of warranty. Will keep an eye out for any further leaks.

Have any of you been advised of a potential charge for warranty fault checking? Coventry mentioned it when I had an egr light come on and also for SWMBOs Skoda 1.5tsi (cold engine stutter). £90+vat :mad:

Yep coventry told me £75+vat if they check and it's not under warranty. This was for an item that would have cost £56 to just change out: the switch on the door post to switch off the alarm sensor. I had a word!

My t6 2017 goes in next week for front crank oil seal, I’ve only had the van 3 weeks, I took it in for a full service and they found the oil leak, it’s only done 30k Miles, don’t expect the crank seal to go at just 30k miles, a bit crap really, my warranty runs out next month, so lucky this was picked up before the end of the warranty. I think I will be looking into extending the warrant, it seems that quite a few vans are having to have the crank seal done. Not good at all.

Has anybody been give an explanation from VW as to why there vans crankcase seal failed so early? Simply replacing it isn‘t a solution unless the wrong spec’ seal was installed originally or it was installed incorrectly and damaged.

Has anybody been give an explanation from VW as to why there vans crankcase seal failed so early? Simply replacing it isn‘t a solution unless the wrong spec’ seal was installed originally or it was installed incorrectly and damaged.
Yep. A number of crankcase seals had been installed that were at the wrong size. Between 1&0.5 mm out in the seal.

VW changed the spec on them. Unfortunately the 1st replacement also failed yet they told me it was the new spec.
The new one is still holding up.

My t6 2017 goes in next week for front crank oil seal, I’ve only had the van 3 weeks, I took it in for a full service and they found the oil leak, it’s only done 30k Miles, don’t expect the crank seal to go at just 30k miles, a bit crap really, my warranty runs out next month, so lucky this was picked up before the end of the warranty. I think I will be looking into extending the warrant, it seems that quite a few vans are having to have the crank seal done. Not good at all.
Make sure you check the new seal at least weekly. Any repair ya a 12 month warranty.
My 3 Rd seal seems to be ok. Also make sure they are fitting the new spec seal.

The service centre said that they have replaced a number of seals and that non of them have leaked again, I will be checking it all the time after it’s fixed. I was going to ask them about a warranty on the seal. Fingers crossed I don’t get anymore problems. I take the van to Southern Motor Group Croydon Volkswagen.

Hi all, my crank seal is leaking. Only owned it 2 weeks :cry:
Bought it privately and warranty ran out in March.
Has anyone any idea of the cost to get it replaced?

Cheers fellas

It’s a pretty big job. Mine took 8 hours. Initial estimate was £980 + vat at a stealership

Hi @Mick - thank you for posting! I’d be inclined to suggest that everyone goes in and asks for a seal check and a written confirmation from the stealer that all is fine or not! Then VW would buck up their ideas

Back