Fitting H&R Anti-Roll Bars

Isn't it the rear one that affects handling most though?

There's numerous variables on a vehicle that have an effect on how it handles. Spring/damper rates, geometry, ride height, tyres, weight distribution. The list goes on....

However in general terms a stiffer ARB on the rear will promote oversteer. A stiffer ARB on the front, understeer. However in the case of the H&R kit, your stiffening both.

In all honesty, I've not pushed the van into these conditions thus far (known in my old trade as critical speed). But certainly pre reaching these states, the handling feels much more planted. Inspires more confidence. Improves comfort in terms of less body roll. I'd definitely fit them again.

I'd also be checking your settings though @andys . I'm surprised your not getting a noticable difference. Are you on standard factory wheels. A wheel with a lower ET offset number, with a contact patch centre of pressure further out from the centre of the van, will cause a slight increase in body roll.

There's numerous variables on a vehicle that have an effect on how it handles. Spring/damper rates, geometry, ride height, tyres, weight distribution. The list goes on....

However in general terms a stiffer ARB on the rear will promote oversteer. A stiffer ARB on the front, understeer. However in the case of the H&R kit, your stiffening both.

In all honesty, I've not pushed the van into these conditions thus far (known in my old trade as critical speed). But certainly pre reaching these states, the handling feels much more planted. Inspires more confidence. Improves comfort in terms of less body roll. I'd definitely fit them again.

I'd also be checking your settings though @andys . I'm surprised your not getting a noticable difference. Are you on standard factory wheels. A wheel with a lower ET offset number, with a contact patch centre of pressure further out from the centre of the van, will cause a slight increase in body roll.
Devonports. I had B14s fitted June 17 and the the ARBs a couple of months later. I'd have the B14s again but not the ARBs, just didn't feel any different, still rolled as much as before.

Devonports. I had B14s fitted June 17 and the the ARBs a couple of months later. I'd have the B14s again but not the ARBs, just didn't feel any different, still rolled as much as before.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you lower the ride height. What's your opinion on the ride quality, comfort wise. I've yet to have a drive in a Transporter on B14s.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you lower the ride height. What's your opinion on the ride quality, comfort wise. I've yet to have a drive in a Transporter on B14s.
I told them to lower quite a bit but not all the way down so I wasn't very precise as I didn't really know what would work best. They left the back end too high saying it would settle, but I've since found out they don't. I estimate reading other people's specs that it's lowered about 55mm at the front and 40mm at the back. Comfort is great, I noticed straight away that it was actually more comfortable and less crashy than standard. Other people seem to say the opposite so it looks like this is determined by how far you drop. I want to drop the rear 15mm to level it but I'm happy with the front.
This is the before and after so you can judge the change in ride height
IMG_2429.jpg
IMG_2430.jpg

Last edited:
I reckon your van could come down a bit further Andys, as you say a bit further at the back.

When a car is nose down it tends to alter the castor angle which should alter the handling quite a lot, think of the same effect on a motorbike and the handling gets twitchy very quickly with the bike looking for the ditch.

All these changes are pretty small steps and that has to include wheel and tyre choice too, I've compromised at 18" wheels with 255 45 tyres as a package now I reckon thicker ARBs will be the next step especially if that step isn't a black and white mistake.

I have just has H&R front and rear ARB fitted along with the B14 after much consideration. The difference is amazing on a full camper conversion, much more stable, drives very well and is more comfortable than the standard suspension in my opinion. Van went into Bognor Motors for the work to be done and very pleased with the outcome, not least of which is the ability to level the van with the adjustable set up on the B14 installation.
@Mavis do you have any photos of your van? I ask as suspension is probably the next big job on my camper and I’m keen to see whether it’ll be B14’s or SoLow. Cheers.

Thanks mate. Looks spot on.
What kind of adjustment have you had done - much travel left?
I asked them to drop the back down the minimum amount, so about 40-50mm I guess and then drop the fronts from there to level the van up. Not sure of exact measurements but can measure from wheel centre line to arch if that helps. I am well pleased with the way it feels on the road, along with the h&r arbs, a completely different van and feels planted as well as still being comfortable for long journeys, probably more so than the standard set up in my opinion.

I asked them to drop the back down the minimum amount, so about 40-50mm I guess and then drop the fronts from there to level the van up. Not sure of exact measurements but can measure from wheel centre line to arch if that helps. I am well pleased with the way it feels on the road, along with the h&r arbs, a completely different van and feels planted as well as still being comfortable for long journeys, probably more so than the standard set up in my opinion.
I’m curious to see whether you’ve got enough travel left to ensure that it’s comfortable, as opposed to being bottomed out for maximum lows.
Sounds like it’s comfortable, so maybe it’ll be B14’s instead of SoLow’s, then. Cheers mate.

380mm rear and 390mm front whilst sat on the drive without driver/passenger.

Well I've now got chunkier anti roll bars courtesy of Vanstyle and their free fitting service.
Had the B14s fitted earlier in May this year which with a roughly 50mm drop made the vehicle a lot more composed through corners and positively plush compared to VWs effort.
Now the H&R ARBs are in place and the camper feels like an underpowered hot hatch... wasn't expecting that but now powering out of the corners you're carrying enough speed to forget that the 102hp available isn't going to be able to enhance that slingshot effect you've just created... balls!
Should mention that I seem to have picked up a few rattles now so that should keep me occupied while the warranty runs out and the Sirens from Revo or Pendle lure me onto the rocks surrounding remap island... aaargh!

Anti roll bars only work in corners , they reduce roll by affectively increasing spring rates while cornering . They wont affect ride comfort in any way in a straight line they simply don't move . My recommendation however is increased spring rates in corners need better shocks to keep the control . Uprated springs ( lowering or lifting ) and stiffer A R B , need sport shocks to get full potential out of the mods . The adjustable anti roll bars with a multiple mounting holes for the tie rods, the hole nearest the pivot point of the bar is the stiffest position . .

View attachment 37005 View attachment 37006 View attachment 37007 Well today it was time to fit these H&R anti roll bars to see if it stiffened the ride

1st I attacked the rear, now I have the LED headlights which means I have the levelling sensor mount to the rear arb, make sure you get the correct kit ie xenon arb otherwise it won’t work
Do you have the part number for this kit please as looking to do my 4motion
How much of a difference did you notice

Do you have the part number for this kit please as looking to do my 4motion
How much of a difference did you notice
There is a small difference in the kits , The one rear bracket has to accommodate the Head light adjuster switch
33267-1 is for non LED light models and 33267-2 is for the Led light model we do them for £365.00 and £385.00 respectively

Hi, the labour is 100 pounds for front and rear bars fitted on their own if its being done as part of a complete suspension upgrade shocks and springs them £50.00
quite a job on a 4 motion as the prop shaft ( front half ) has to come off to get the bar in !

Last edited:
Hi I’ve tried all day to get the front prop shaft off but they’re seized together, tried using an air chisel. Any other ideas would be much appreciated

This is without doubt the best suspension mod I have ever fitted to a van :) I have had them on awhile now but the difference is like night and day, it’s still only lowered on 30mm springs and I won’t be doing anymore suspension mods now as it’s perfect

Hope this helps
Did u fit just springs or did u do coilovers

Back