VW Carstick - does it work as standard?

Just been checking this thread out, can anyone confirm if this works with Composition media unit?

It does not. Tried and failed. Annoying thing is it's just the setup menu you need , no actual features. Could well be a VCDS setting, but alas, I gave up.

It does not. Tried and failed. Annoying thing is it's just the setup menu you need , no actual features. Could well be a VCDS setting, but alas, I gave up.

Cheers for the quick reply. Just saved me a few pennies. I'll take a look at a wifi dongle then

To use it camping would you need to get the discover media head unit switched over to a leisure battery so it didnt auto switch off ?

im hearing that you can use the "Huawei Unlocked E8372h-153 4G/LTE WiFi Dongle - White" instead of a VW carstick.

if thats true then the Huawei creates its own wifi hotspot when its powered up via the van usb port or a USB powerbank.....

the the van can connect to that hotspot when its switched on....... and for camping you could us a 12v USB adapter on the leasure battery or a usb power bank.

ill get one in and test it........ watch this space.

OK, so the "Huawei Unlocked E8372h-153 4G/LTE WiFi Dongle - White" works a charm.

i went for the Amazon one which included a 6GB 2G/3G/4G EE Data sim (90days to use it) - just for testing purposes.

ill go for the 3mobile 12GB 12mnth £30 Data sim when this one runs out..

here my question.... i have the USB port and AUX audio-in port on the front of the dash (T6 Transporter with discovery media satnav)

20180509_200502.jpg

so where is the second port? i thought i would have 2x ports.....one in the glovebox and one on the dash?, so i could leave the stick permanently connected?

20180509_200511.jpg

its not in here!.......wtf

20180509_200521.jpg

and before someone says it,.... i tried the 12v USB plug thing for powering it up, but the 12v sockets seem to be live all the time, which is not good as i only whant the wifi running when the van is... (which the onboard USB does do - shuts off when van does)

and info for the camper boys - it works fine on a USB battery power bank.....

so am i missing the duel usb? if so am i going to have to retro fit it?

Shop around for data, 3 months ago I got a Virgin 4g sim that had an incredible 100gb a month on a 12 month contract for £20, you can tether it and 20gb of unused data even rolls over every month.

Your current plan
4G 5000mins + 20GB

£24.00

£4 Lifetime Discount

£0.00

Lifetime 5 x Data

£0.00

Your monthly cost:

£20.00

Contract start date 19th Feb 2018
Contract term 12 months
Next upgrade date 18th Feb 2019