VW Tailgate Bike Rack - Opening Tailgate with bikes loaded

I have the Westfalia 2 bike tow ball rack, looks brilliant, till you tilt the rack and try and open the door.... the tailgate skims the top of the lock system. (Fixed factory fit tow ball)

We have LWB tailgate with rear opening pop top.
VW 4 bike carrier with upgraded struts.
1. Very good quality rack which does hold 4 bikes
2. Needs bit of practice getting best loading order of said bikes
3. Upgraded struts lift 4 bikes easily and holds tailgate up.
5. If large frame bikes then the handle bars will stand above the 2m height. However it’s a simple action to drop bars and saddle with an Allen key or quick release.
6. If pop top is up you need to just be careful if lifting tailgate with bikes on - my racing bike handlebars contact the fabric of pop top lightly.
7. Closing with bikes on is easy but it comes down quickly!
8. Bike rack does stick out another 1m so don’t listen to parking sensors!!
9. Removing rack very easy with supplied key.
10. With bikes off be careful when opening tailgate.....keep well back and watch chin!
11. TOH can - (just) ! close the tailgate ...with her new found muscles!
12. It’s brilliant ....and I love it!

Ps.... it makes a great washing line when on site and bikes unloaded!!

I have the uprated struts and, with just 2 of our bikes on it (approx 2 x 15kg), it is a struggle to open and wont stay open - I wonder if I tried in the summer the struts would offer a bit more support? Also, rather than lightly touching the fabric you get with your rear opening roof, the bike nearest the van would bang into the shell of an open forward opening pop top.

Don't get me wrong - this VW rack is the best I have used and I love it - we just pack in such as way that the only time we need to access the tailgate once the bikes are on would be in an emergency (jack, etc.). As you say, it does make a great washing line :)

Sorry to be a PITA, but now that Jan and I have been seriously discussing bike racks we have some more Qs.

We will only need to carry 2 bikes.
They won’t fit inside the camper.
We need access to open the tailgate at any time (for example - to access the gas bottle on/off etc)
We have removable Westfalia tow bar fitted

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a 2 bike tailgate mounted rack that allows the tailgate to open?

Tow bar bike carriers.
2. Can you lift the tailgate with and without bikes fitted. I’ve seen some on motorhome that tilt backwards a bit.

3. Again any recommendation for two bike tow bar carriers welcomed

I have the Westfalia 2 bike tow ball rack, looks brilliant, till you tilt the rack and try and open the door.... the tailgate skims the top of the lock system. (Fixed factory fit tow ball)

So @RAD that’s a definite ‘no, you can’t open the tailgate when fitted’ ?

Cheers

Towbar racks are available that tilt over to allow the tailgate to open with the rack and bikes in place
I have a Thule 929 four bike carrier and tailgate opens no problem but plenty of the tipping ones do foul the tailgate so it pays to be doubly sure and find someone that has personally used one and can confirm
Remember it’s also affected by what towbar you have as they all sit at different heights but as you have the detachable (same as me) then I think that’s the lower variant

8. Bike rack does stick out another 1m so don’t listen to parking sensors!!

Oh yes that’s a good point!

I actually bumped into a bloke with the VW rack and I quite liked it, looked really solid. Also seen a luggage bag you can strap on too which could be handy for longer trips away

Oh yes that’s a good point!

I actually bumped into a bloke with the VW rack and I quite liked it, looked really solid. Also seen a luggage bag you can strap on too which could be handy for longer trips away
I had to read that twice, I thought you'd actually reversed into someone and enjoyed his pain !!

I’m definitely going down the tow bar mounted route, and prefer the folding platform style to the hanging style.

I’ve found that this Atera STRADA DL3 gives tons of clearance but it’s a three bike, the two bike version has less clearance but might well do.

Has anyone used a 2 bike tow bar platform that actually does allow the tailgate enough clearance to open??

Ta

I’m definitely going down the tow bar mounted route, and prefer the folding platform style to the hanging style.

I’ve found that this Atera STRADA DL3 gives tons of clearance but it’s a three bike, the two bike version has less clearance but might well do.

Has anyone used a 2 bike tow bar platform that actually does allow the tailgate enough clearance to open??

Ta
in theory my Uebler 90 degree does....but it's still in its box and I'm only picking up my camper this weekend (i hope!). it might take me a few weeks to get them together and with the bikes (camper will be in storage) to give a full 'review' with pics etc.

Don't lose sight of comments earlier in this thread around type, make and height of towball you have, i.e. it might work and allow tailgate opening on one van but not another.

Just ordered an Atera STRADA DL 3 cycle tow ball rack for £345 which seems to me to be VFM (if it does what it is supposed to)

I am assured that the tailgate will clear the rack, and it looks pretty good on the video clip. They could not give that assurance on the 2 bike carrier, and said that they have had these returned in exchange for the three bike carrier which has more clearance.

(Couldn’t get it in the more attractive and faster black :rofl:)

I’ll report back team.

I'm glad I'm not bothering with a bike rack :) This thread is like a continuous circle, someone asks the same questions, they get answered and then 4 or 5 posts later someone else asks the same questions and the pattern carries on. It's like the people who are answering the questions are invisible

I'm glad I'm not bothering with a bike rack :) This thread is like a continuous circle, someone asks the same questions, they get answered and then 4 or 5 posts later someone else asks the same questions and the pattern carries on. It's like the people who are answering the questions are invisible

If that is aimed at me then :p

I didn’t want a hanging style mount, as was suggested by some.

Having reread the thread before making my last request, the only thing that met my requirements was the Thule 929 in one of the later posts. The Atera beat it and others on price hands down, the maxxis and the other one didn’t look right.

Anyways, a big thank you to the contributors you certainly helped me decide.....

Unless I missed anything else, and seeing that you’ve made naff all contributions to this thread please bugger off and return when you find something constructive to add :thumbsup:

Last edited:
:thumbsdown:
If that is aimed at me then :p

I didn’t want a hanging style mount, as was suggested by some.

Having reread the thread before making my last request, the only thing that met my requirements was the Thule 929 in one of the later posts. The Atera beat it and others on price hands down, the maxxis and the other one didn’t look right.

Anyways, a big thank you to the contributors you certainly helped me decide.....

Unless I missed anything else, and seeing that you’ve made naff all contributions to this thread please bugger off and return when you find something constructive to add :thumbsup:
No you were one of the answerers, but screw you :thumbsdown:

:thumbsdown:
No you were one of the answerers, but screw you :thumbsdown:
I think that what members are essentially looking for is feedback on personal experiences, recommendations and advice. Sometimes an question may crop up again because members want reassurance. Personally I don’t see anything wrong with this whether we’re discussing bike racks or anything else. Often one post can prompt another.

I think that what members are essentially looking for is feedback on personal experiences, recommendations and advice. Sometimes an question may crop up again because members want reassurance. Personally I don’t see anything wrong with this whether we’re discussing bike racks or anything else. Often one post can prompt another.
Agreed, I'll happily answer the same question multiple times and/or point people to the source of the answer and/or the search facility - new members are joining the forum all the time and I'd much rather see repeat posts/questions than a stagnant forum.

Back