VW Approved Used: 6 month review

Kippers123

So, I bought a 67 plate registered 18 last May. T6 LWB 32 highline. 1 year warranty.
Through a VW dealership.
I've done approximately 2.8k miles since.
Today it went into VW for a service and mot, and to fix a few issues. They rang me back saying I need new break discs and pads to the rear £385.
And new timing belt £600.
And couldn't fix the van pulling to the left because they don't do alignment.
And haven't fixed my passenger side heated
mirror that hasn't worked since purchase.
Is this normal?

what garage have you taken it to?

i thought all VW main dealers had full alignment and MOT bays?

they will always find faults and because vans there a lot of people will agree to have them done for convenience! All main dealers are the same! Should of carried out warranty issues though

do they have a van centre there?

apparently they have a van center::

1641401886966.png

1641401914863.png

they will always find faults and because vans there a lot of people will agree to have them done for convenience! All main dealers are the Should of carried out warranty issues
That seems to be true. Since they have my van now, I'm just inclined to agree with what they say. :/

apparently they have a van center::

View attachment 140508

View attachment 140509
Yeah as far as I saw, they only deal with vans. Just strange they don't do allingment.

I'm also just suprised that I got sold a van that 2.8k miles in and my discs are rubbing metal on metal.

timing belt is due at 4 years or 120km - (74500miles)

Engine oil/filter - 10k 1yr / or if long life - 18k 2yr

i cant believe they are saying they cant do alignment . . . is the machine broken down?

timing belt is due at 4 years or 120km - (74500miles)

Yeah, that ones fair. 30k miles, but it's 4 years old now. Humpf

Engine oil/filter - 10k 1yr / or if long life - 18k 2yr

i cant believe they are saying they cant do alignment . . . is the machine broken down?
They didn't say, they just said I need to take it somewhere else. Not too impressed

Brake pads & discs - checked At least once a year. (2mm min pad wear limit)

front pads will last 30k ish miles,

normally 2 sets of pads to a disc change.

Yeah, that ones fair. 30k miles, but it's 4 years old now. Humpf

They didn't say, they just said I need to take it somewhere else. Not too impressed
I would take all your business elsewhere

Whenever I'm told at service or MOT time that my discs and/or pads need changing, my first question is 'will they cause an MOT failure' and the answer is usually no the first and maybe second time as well (I'm a fairly low mileage kind of a guy though). The dealer will often say something like 'the discs are 60% worn' which to my simple brain means they're 40% unworn. I also tend to take my car to a good local independent garage for that sort of thing as well. Mind you, I have very limited mechanical knowledge.

Whenever I'm told at service or MOT time that my discs and/or pads need changing, my first question is 'will they cause an MOT failure' and the answer is usually no the first and maybe second time as well (I'm a fairly low mileage kind of a guy though). The dealer will often say something like 'the discs are 60% worn' which to my simple brain means they're 40% unworn. I also tend to take my car to a good local independent garage for that sort of thing as well. Mind you, I have very limited mechanical knowledge.
Enough mechanical knowledge to push back a little! The good local indie is a better choice as you will develop a relationship with them! These are the guys who will help you out when you’re stuck.

I'm also just suprised that I got sold a van that 2.8k miles in and my discs are rubbing metal on metal.

- that would imply that the pads & disks were 80-90% worn when you bought the van.

++

did they do one of those 101 checks before selling to you?

or any paperwork about a pre delivery inspection to you?

- that would imply that the pads & disks were 80-90% worn when you bought the van.

++

did they do one of those 101 checks before selling to you?

or any paperwork about a pre delivery inspection to you?
Since it was an approved used van, I assumed it would have had all propper checks. Don't believe I got any paperworks including such details. I won't be going back to the dealership after this. I'm just in a squeeze since my mot runs out tomorrow and they have the van.

Check if you have an advisory on the brakes from the previous MOT.
Just checked and nope. Last mot recorded 25k miles, no advisory. So from then to 30k miles now apparently I'm metal on metal.

Enough mechanical knowledge to push back a little! The good local indie is a better choice as you will develop a relationship with them! These are the guys who will help you out when you’re stuck.
I completely agree. I guess it's just my ignorance and optimistic approach that I'd get treated better by VW. But I'll definitely be taking it elsewhere from now on, I'm in abit of a squeeze since my MOT runs out tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.
They said as is currently, it would fail MOT.
I'll definitely be taking it elsewhere in future.

So alittle update if anyone was still watching.
My MOT ran out today, so i was at a squeeze with taking it somewhere else. I've gone with the basic repairs to pass MOT. Got sent a a video detailing what was wrong.
And then a price breakdown.
So, £395 for 2 back discs and pads. And then an additional £90 to remove the fault code on my dashboard? Is that normal?
£600 for Cambelt.
£88 for break fluid.
And an advisory £139 per tyre replacment.
The video shows all my tyres currently worn at different points across the thread. But, they don't do alignment.
Fault on my parking sensors due to water ingress, but they just removed the fault codes, no actual fix.
I've got them to do the cambelt and breaks, but the rest can be done elsewhere. If anyone knows a good mechanic around the Essex area, please do let me know. Thanks for all your input people. I'm just abit lost, first van, large amount of money (for me) in general, still young and learning.

Back