Vote: Normal / Faulty noise 102PS

Is this noise normal?

• Yes it’s completely normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it’s got a fault

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
My 102 makes a similar noise on cold start-up, goes away when clutch pedal pressed in or when engine is warm (late 2017 27k miles). Minor service and MOT recently and nothing was said when I picked it up (I forgot to mention it mind). I’ll be keeping an eye this thread and ear on my van, might be booking it in, if it gets worse. Keep us updated.

Excellent, thanks for replying. Originally it was just when it was stone cold but since Iv had the flywheel replaced it does it intermittently when I leave it running for 5-10 mins , engine is still cold though. Seems to be a more people with 102’s mentioning it

Excellent, thanks for replying. Originally it was just when it was stone cold but since Iv had the flywheel replaced it does it intermittently when I leave it running for 5-10 mins , engine is still cold though. Seems to be a more people with 102’s mentioning it

No worries, I’m gonna check mine at the weekend. Cold start and let her warm up on the driveway, I’ve not actually checked to see it comes back after it’s gone. I’ll let you know.

Interesting comment...
“Are you sure it's not just the usual rattle/clatter that all manual gearboxes make when they are in neutral and the clutch is released? Commercial vehicles are usually more obvious due to less sound proofing.
The video you made was outside the van so sound proofing is irrelevant IMO.

Once you've had one go, you know the sound and recognise it.

It starts gentle and gets worse over the miles, I put 10k on my old van before getting it done..... it sounded like a tractor by then.

gearboxes don't rattle in neutral as they are disconnected from the engine.. and even when in neutral and clutch engaged... they should not rattle like that.

I'm sure vw will say its normal if the noise goes by the time the engine is at operating temp.....but thats how it starts.

So im going to ask vw to look at mine as I recognise the start of the sound...35k, my18. 204 dsg.

I've got a mechanic stethoscope that can be used to locate the source of the noise.

I completely agree it sounds like a flywheel noise but in my case it’s got a new one fitted last week so it’s really confused me now, it’s not as bad as it was but as you can see by the video i can still hear something clutch related. :(

I completely agree it sounds like a flywheel noise but in my case it’s got a new one fitted last week so it’s really confused me now, it’s not as bad as it was but as you can see by the video i can still hear something clutch related. :(
Did the previous damaged DMF damage the clutch, you said before that the original clutch was re-fitted with a new DMF.

Send it back to vw and see what they say.

I'd be very interested in what they say.

If they say its normal, maybe they have a new model DMF that just rattles when cold....? Can't see why.

Many cars and vans have a DMF but don't make noise.

FYI... mines only started making a noise about 5k ago.... has been silent for the first 30k.

So if your has less than 1k on a brand new DMF?

Did the previous damaged DMF damage the clutch, you said before that the original clutch was re-fitted with a new DMF.
According to the technician & VW service advisor the clutch was “like new” I got a quote of £380ish to order a clutch kit but the service advisor said it really was against the grain & not required.

Send it back to vw and see what they say.

I'd be very interested in what they say.

If they say its normal, maybe they have a new model DMF that just rattles when cold....? Can't see why.

Many cars and vans have a DMF but don't make noise.

FYI... mines only started making a noise about 5k ago.... has been silent for the first 30k.

So if your has less than 1k on a brand new DMF?

DMF has about 25 miles on it haha

Mine does not sound like that and it’s a 102 I agree sounds like the dmf, don’t put off getting it done that sounds excessive

Mine does not sound like that and it’s a 102 I agree sounds like the dmf, don’t put off getting it done that sounds excessive
Yes, I’m not leaving it, I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to cars so it won’t be left

yeh, as @Niknak says the play in the spings (that makes the rattle sounds when the DMF is freely rotating)

is taken up by the drag of the clutch release bearing . . .when the clutch peddle is pressed. . . . so the sound stops.

until you release the peddle again.

and the rattle when cold will quieten down as the engine warns up due to thermal expansion of the DMF which reduces the free play.

but ultimately the free play becomes excessive and it will rattle all the time as time goes by.

yeh, as @Niknak says the play in the spings (that makes the rattle sounds when the DMF is freely rotating)

is taken up by the drag of the clutch release bearing . . .when the clutch peddle is pressed. . . . so the sound stops.

until you release the peddle again.

and the rattle when cold will quieten down as the engine warns up due to thermal expansion of the DMF which reduces the free play.

but ultimately the free play becomes excessive and it will rattle all the time as time goes by.

Could It be that as mine doesn’t get used at all at the moment it’s worse with the cold weather we’re having ,where as a van that’s used everyday will get warm & cold cycles more often so the flywheel will be expanding more?

you say its a new DMF with 25miles on it.

so it should NOT make any noise.

so its either something else?

they put the old DMF back on?

or there is a new DMF that has the characteristic of being rattily when cold . . . which just don't seem right to me.?

well have to wait and see what VW say when you take it back - VW warranty and parts have 2yrs on them (excluding wear & tear)

Back