Vote: Normal / Faulty noise 102PS

Is this noise normal?

• Yes it’s completely normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it’s got a fault

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
I completely agree it sounds like a flywheel noise but in my case it’s got a new one fitted last week so it’s really confused me now, it’s not as bad as it was but as you can see by the video i can still hear something clutch related. :(
Maybe somebody else came in for an oil service and got a new DMF instead and you got an oil change?
What I’ve read about VW Commercials lately, nothing surprises me.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Hi Guys,

Can I get a quick vote on if this noise is normal or not? Cold engine, Flywheel has already been replaced.

102 BHP
Manual
2019 Plate
12K Miles

Have they used new flywheel?

Reactions: mmi
Just to keep the thread up to date, I have the same issue and the van is in with VW dealers for assessment.

Van is a 19plate 102ps which drives like a dream with no issues other than the brief noise if left to idle from cold for approx 5mins. Noise disappears with pressing of clutch pedal.

Will keep this thread updated with the outcome.

Update:

Iv booked my T6 back in with VW but also sent them a detailed cold start clip :

Noise starts after 4 mins on idle

Rattle comes & goes

Rattle then stays constant 6 mins onwards

Warms up and rattle seems to go after 7 mins 58 seconds, you can hear the van change idle

If I rev the van lightly I can still hear it and feel it through the pedal slightly

Better late than never, managed to get some footage of my 102 cold start possible DMF noise. Not sure how obvious it is from the vid but the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed. Noise stopped after about 5 minutes warm-up, ran the engine half an hour and the noise didn’t come back.

Better late than never, managed to get some footage of my 102 cold start possible DMF noise. Not sure how obvious it is from the vid but the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed. Noise stopped after about 5 minutes warm-up, ran the engine half an hour and the noise didn’t come back.
It appears to be louder on the nearside wheel arch which is closer to the DMF, not very scientific but best I can estimate.
If you carefully put a long metal rod, bar what ever you have available on the clutch housing with the other end to your ear you’ll get a better indication of the source.
Disclaimer; don’t stick it in your ear or anywhere near the free end of the engine (belts).

It appears to be louder on the nearside wheel arch which is closer to the DMF, not very scientific but best I can estimate.
If you carefully put a long metal rod, bar what ever you have available on the clutch housing with the other end to your ear you’ll get a better indication of the source.
Disclaimer; don’t stick it in your ear or anywhere near the free end of the engine (belts).

I’ll give it go, she’ll probably kill me but the misses has a stethoscope knocking about the house somewhere...

I’ll give it go, she’ll probably kill me but the misses has a stethoscope knocking about the house somewhere...
You might find that a medical stethoscope is too sensitive but by all means get the uniform on, give it ago and post another video:oops:

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds very similar to mine before it had the flywheel done. If I’m honest it sounds louder / worse. Is yours booked in for diagnostic? I’m going to take mine for a good drive & then let it idle & see if I get any rattling after.. il be very glad once it’s all fixed

My 102 has a bit of noise when cold, 16 plate with 85k on it. Not as noisy as some of those vids but noticeable. I don't think mine is the DMF, I suspect mine is just drivetrain chatter as it goes when clutch pedal down i.e. input shaft stopped.

Update:

Iv booked my T6 back in with VW but also sent them a detailed cold start clip :

Noise starts after 4 mins on idle

Rattle comes & goes

Rattle then stays constant 6 mins onwards

Warms up and rattle seems to go after 7 mins 58 seconds, you can hear the van change idle

If I rev the van lightly I can still hear it and feel it through the pedal slightly

I should have read the message before listening to the video. The 2-3mins I listened to sounded ok to me :rolleyes:

Several people have mentioned they think the noise in caused by the drive train, the noise clearing after a short time when warmed up.
I’m not sure I follow as there are no balancing shafts and associated gears on the CXGB (102ps), rubber belts for exhaust camshaft and oil pump.
The only gear I see is the one common to all engines driving the inlet camshaft from the exhaust camshaft and the backlash on that will be tight.
That only leaves the gearbox input shaft and I don’t imagine the gear box temperature will change much without any load.

Back