Vircton smart charging help

Chris Joyce

T6 Pro
Some advice please on my viltron smart non isolated charger.

I have this installer about a year now and its always been working fine , keeping the leisure battery topped up.

As we are going away next week I decided to run the fridge and check its working ok, we last used it in November and haven't used any of the 12v electrics really.

After about 10 minutes I got the low voltage flash from the fridge, I checked the battery voltage and its sitting at 11.6v, obviously very low, generally I do quite short journeys with the odd longer (30mins) thrown in, I assuming this hasn't been enough to keep the battery topped up?

I've popped it on charge this afternoon and its picking up voltage but would my thoughts be correct, I'm just not doing long enough journeys to put charge in the leisure battery?

I notice on the victron app that there are two settings, power supply or charge, mine is set to power supply, is this correct?

Thanks

Correct that short journey won't fully charge a low leisure battery.

A 24hr smart charge should sort that..

The Victron should be set to charger mode...

Can you post a screen shot?

2FA1FBCF-799B-47C9-88AD-1EC79D31701D.png

845A6944-CE97-4829-93FA-1930BF5E04AB.png

Thanks @Dellmassive

See attached screenshots, vehicle not running.

I haven't changed any of the settings, I'm assuming if it should be in charger mode that maybe an update has altered it somehow.

I wasn't sure if changing to charger mode would draw from my starter battery constantly and flatten it.

Also to add, I do 3 or 4 short journeys a day, Im assuming this isn't enough to keep the leisure battery topped up enough and therefor its drained down slowly over time.

I have ordered a solar setup so that should hopefully solve that issue in the future as well as a good charge when parked at home every now and then.

Gotcha..

You need to change to Charger mode.

Then start engine and check its charging.

see below:​

1628454494958.png

• 8.3.3. Power Supply Mode​

When on Power Supply Mode, these are the available settings.

1603f473ec12c3.png
  • Function allow to choose between “Charger” or “Power supply”. When power supply mode is selected, the Orion Smart will keep the output voltage as set on the setting.
  • Output voltage allow to choose the output voltage when power supply mode is selected. Note that the minimum and maximum voltages needs to be within the product limit (i.e.: 10V to 15V for 12V output Orion Smart)
  • Input voltage lock-out allow to choose between two thresholds. One to set the lock-out and another one to reset it. Normally, a minimum 0.5V (for 12V input Orion Smart) difference is used for a better performance. The protection can still be disabled if desired by the user. For more information about the input voltage lock-out, please read the Orion Smart manual.

++++

8.3.1. Charger Mode​

When on Charger Mode, these are the available settings.

1603f473eb8411.png
  • Function allow to choose between “Charger” or “Power supply”. When charger mode is selected, the Orion Smart will follow the three state charge algorithm. For more information about the charge algorithm, please read the Orion Smart manual.
  • Battery settings allow to change the battery settings in order to adjust the absorption voltage, float voltage and others to fit the battery being charged. The battery setting is explained better on the next item.
  • Input voltage lock-out allow to choose between two thresholds. One to set the lock-out and another one to reset it. Normally, a minimum 0.5V (for 12V input Orion Smart) difference is used for a better performance. The protection can still be disabled if desired by the user. For more information about the input voltage lock-out, please read the Orion Smart manual.
  • Engine shutdown detection allow to choose between two thresholds. One to set the detect the engine shutdown and another one to detect when it is running. Normally, a minimum 0.2V (for 12V input Orion Smart) difference is used for a better performance. The engine shutdown detection can still be disabled if desired by the user. For more information about the engine shutdown detection, please read the Orion Smart manual.

++++

Reactions: mmi
Thanks for that, very useful.
I’ve changed to charger mode, my Leisure battery is an AGM so I’ve selected agm spiral cell from the drop list.

hopefully that’s correct.

I’ll pop a screen shot below if you wouldn’t mind casting your eye over it.

your help is much appreciated

16D206BC-6896-4AF0-B9F3-D36E06E5F165.png

B0A97CAF-5BA7-46FF-B80D-52880F98EE28.png

Looks ok.

Maybe try the AGM High profile....

Like bellow... 14.6v so not much difference.

Screenshot_20210808-215609.jpg

Back