Victron smart controller help

Saka

Hi all I have a SWB 140 DSG 2016 t6. I have a 110 amp hour AGM battery and a 200w flexible solar panel with smart solar 75|10 MPPT controller. (I know max 145w but I bought the 200w panel not for peak watts but to ensure a good amount when overcast). I also have a 10a Victron DC charger.

I don’t think the solar charger is working properly.

It does charge and you can see this on history but it will usually display 0w. It never seems to get the battery up to 14v. The two screen shots were taken at the same time about midday so solar has had about 6 hours of sun. As you can see the solar charger is on float and adding nothing (it was doing this before driving off) but the DC charger is on bulk charge, not even absorption. These seem way off from each other and I am worried I am not fully charging the battery with solar as my cre50 fridge will get it down to about 12.15V even with a bit of driving in the day.

Thoughts? Have I got this completely wrong but I would have thought the solar panel should have still been charging on the morning before we started driving?

349278D9-39F2-4573-963F-F4FEA7A580AE.jpeg

D4CBEC66-6B11-486A-94E3-3848DAB36A70.jpeg

What is the battery settings in each?

Are you using a battery preset?

13.65v is a full battery so the mppt is showing float.

It's odd you have no current showing though.

Both are set to AGM spiral preset.

They both have an absorption voltage of 14.7 and a float of 13.8.

I thought AGM batteries were charged higher than 14v?

Also why would the DC charger want to bulk charge after the solar had been on float prior to is driving off?

Screenshots are just of the battery voltage history (I’m guessing the 14.75 is coming from the DC charger and not the battery) and proof it does sometime work (but it was quite sunny and it’s a 200w panel so would like more than 22w - or is the just what is going to the battery and not what the panel is producing?)

Sorry for all the questions - I thought I understood how charging all worked (bulk vs float etc) but now not so sure

6CBB6ABA-B803-4660-B460-C8409DCDD566.png

6C321FC7-447C-43A0-82CE-227720B49D6C.png

It looks like the mppt was charging in float mode.

But the battery will pull whatever from the controller.....at that point it's only 1.6A, that would imply that the battery was full.

The Orion may show bulk stage of the charge profile..... But the unit doesn't show the current..... Your probably find that the current is also very low..... Same as the mppt.

Volt drop can show different readings...

This depends on the cable gauge and length from the battery to chargers ...

Reactions: mmi
Got some pics of your install and battery connections.?

a 200w panel so would like more than 22w - or is the just what is going to the battery and not what the panel is producing?)
It seems to be what battery is accepting (seems that there is no load). Turn on some serious loads - then you should see "true" panel output.

Thank you for your replies,

The DC is under the driver’s seat with the battery and is 16mm cable. The solar is driver rear corner Over 6mm cable

046A8B8A-1619-4296-B75D-36243CD40FFC.jpeg

9A7898FF-3F06-4B93-A5C5-274D51A9CEA0.jpeg

problem with the victron converter it is because it starts has 5v more than the battery, if the battery shows 14v it goes to start if the Fine has a FINE 19v with warmth sees its voltage diminishing and the loader is stop
resolution to change mppt

Thank you for your replies,

The DC is under the driver’s seat with the battery and is 16mm cable. The solar is driver rear corner Over 6mm cable

View attachment 163529

View attachment 163530

Just looking at your photo and wondering how the battery is secured. If it’s just the piece of plywood that won’t be sufficient if you have a serious collision.
In that situation the last thing you want is a damaged / shorting battery under your arse!

Back