My conversion progress

Jon Huddy

Ok, some of this is going to be copy and paste from the old forum and I will start adding the new things I have done to the van.

So the things I have done so far are,

Soundproofed and insulated
Lowered on Bilstein B14's
Put new wheels on with shotgun shell wheel covers, which don't look as tacky as I thought they might but they were a £2.75 chance I was willing to take
Swivel seats for the passenger and driver side
and cleaned it about 30 times confused.png

Yesterday the windows for the rear 1/4's turned up along with the carpet liner for the inside so might have a "crack" at doing a window at the weekend lol.png

Also I am going to start designing and cutting out some side panels with the cnc at work.

Thanks for reading

Jon

20160429_214739.jpg 20160429_223201.jpg 20160429_222147.jpg 20160524_210741.jpg 13334325_10154363806277868_1031131911_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So this happened yesterday (ages ago now). I don't think I have ever been so nervous in all my life. But once I got going with it it was OK. Went really well with no problems at all. Very happy. Just got the other side to do now.

The van being black you can hardly tell there is a window there, but it brings in a lot more light and it's a lot easier to see things when reversing. Shame I wasted all that soundproofing and insulation though.

e1b3a39811e57001b813990daa4d47.jpg a8fe590b20ab8224e60b8c84611df5.jpg f2a4526a879977a25a9cab1b8fb2bc.jpg 530270e786e27ec88042d779110cb4 (1).jpg cea0badf085aa1a04f4c8ab8308c10.jpg

Made some progress on the panels tonight. Got the 2 rear panels done.

They are made from 4mm Birch ply. I've also used the hidden trim fixings so I can easily removed them when I need to and when they are upholstered you won't see any fixings.

I'm going to make a single one to go in there too just so I have the templates in the machine and make them for people who want them

Just need to get the window in the other side and I can start upholstering smiley.png

Let me know what you think.
9eda3a8df1b97da31454d4fa5c466a.jpg a25d13e7894762525481c9e3d3a855.jpg c60922d24fe1a253cae50b63f33004.jpg 51fd9396f31451f7078946b00a3450.jpg

Ok, some of this is going to be copy and paste from the old forum and I will start adding the new things I have done to the van.

So the things I have done so far are,

Soundproofed and insulated
Lowered on Bilstein B14's
Put new wheels on with shotgun shell wheel covers, which don't look as tacky as I thought they might but they were a £2.75 chance I was willing to take
Swivel seats for the passenger and driver side
and cleaned it about 30 times confused.png

Yesterday the windows for the rear 1/4's turned up along with the carpet liner for the inside so might have a "crack" at doing a window at the weekend lol.png

Also I am going to start designing and cutting out some side panels with the cnc at work.

Thanks for reading

Jon

View attachment 348 View attachment 350 View attachment 351 View attachment 352 View attachment 354
Is that a mk1 Honda Civic on the trailer?

A couple of questions on your conversion, I am about to take delivery of my T6 LWB Transporter 4 Motion early next week. I have already had delivered a SRA Pop Top and also a Cambee Seat/Bed unit to fit in as part of the conversion. I see that you have fixed a whole lot of sound deadener on the wheel arch. Where else have you applied the deadening sheets in the vehicle?
Also, I note you are covering your side panels with a form of carpet. Are you putting anything under that between the board and the carpet like a 2mm layer of foam? I am considering using leather to cover the bed/seat to match the front seats and also the side panels and have been recommended putting a layer of medium density 2mm foam sandwiched between the leather and side boards to give a ‘soft’ feel to them.

Thanks
Garry

A couple of questions on your conversion, I am about to take delivery of my T6 LWB Transporter 4 Motion early next week. I have already had delivered a SRA Pop Top and also a Cambee Seat/Bed unit to fit in as part of the conversion. I see that you have fixed a whole lot of sound deadener on the wheel arch. Where else have you applied the deadening sheets in the vehicle?
Also, I note you are covering your side panels with a form of carpet. Are you putting anything under that between the board and the carpet like a 2mm layer of foam? I am considering using leather to cover the bed/seat to match the front seats and also the side panels and have been recommended putting a layer of medium density 2mm foam sandwiched between the leather and side boards to give a ‘soft’ feel to them.

Thanks
Garry
Hi Gary
Most info on blog, but on bare panel I used vinyl self adhesive tiles old trick to stop booming on panels, then lower parts of the panels Dinitrol. Then Dacron light, doesn't rot. We're using foam backed suede on roof lining, doors etc. The rear panels are carpeted ( I had some left over from pop top. Then I glued foil bubble wrap on back of panel. Never seen any carpeted areas the have foam on can't see the point either. The suede has 2 mm foam on it that's enough to give some hassle when gluing!! All panels are getting the same treatment which just the twin sliders and rear hatch to do.
Upholstery we're having leather on
" outside" with fabric in the middle would not want to sit or sleep on leather ( course whatever floats your boat excepted!!)
Which was recommended by upholster.
We have leather seats on MX5 heated great for winter crap in summer!
Hope that helps

Thanks for that info. Will have a good look at your blog. Had leather on my rock and roll bed in T2 kombi and actually liked it. Sold my old T2 van last year and now doing up the new T6. ( as well as a T1) Have heated leather captain seats in front. Going to match it in rear with the butterscotch coloured leather. The delay in delivery has been with the seats up front and the second battery under the passenger seat getting it to swivel correctly. Maybe they do not mean carpet with foam. Was not planning on carpet but is interesting that the suede does have foam. Will go with 2mm on the leather wall covering.

Garry

I carpeted the side of my van tonight expecting it to take me a couple of hours.

All I can say is 5 hours later it will haunt my dreams forever. Came out well though. I will take some better photos when I finish it off tomorrow.

20160801_235759.jpg

Also I will reply to comments tomorrow when I am less tired and it's 12.40 :sleep:

Carpetting my Kombi when I get it is also a challenge I'm considering doing myself. I am assuming you have also carpetted the sliding door? Would be great to see how you finished around the window if possible.

@GarryM I put sound deadening amd imsulation pretty much everywhere. In the tailgate the rear quarters, wheel arches, sliding doors, front doors I will possible eventually do the floor and roof. I haven't put any foam in between the layers but I probably would if I was putting leather on them. I believe you can get it pre backed too.

In regards to the wheel arch I used a roller on it to flat it down and got all the bumps out. I also cut off the jack mounting pointment as I plan to store it in the cupboards I make. Believe it or not I didn't find it the hardest part to do either.

@CRD I haven't done the sliding door. Not really sure whether to or not. Haven't decided yet. Not sure where to finish it nicely to be honest.

I managed to get the sliding door pannels cut and upholstered
As promised some better photos. Need to get some wider trim for the window as it is near impossible to get on now. The roof is letting it down now so I will do that next I think
20160803_182145.jpg 20160803_182430.jpg 20160803_182149.jpg

Finally got round to getting a wider trim for the window. Tides it up alot

Going to try and get the other window in on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.20160807_202157.jpg 20160807_202207.jpg

Back