Victron Orion-tr Smart 12/12 30a Isolated Help please

fair one, I will check grounding bolt this afternoon. I used -ve on the victron.

Yeah, a few ways to check but you could just measure that input terminal voltage again whilst charging from both victron ground points and a good known chassis ground - any differences there would indicate a dodgy ground.

Little update: nothing done on camper today as had to help out old couple next door as he fell over bruising his ribs (he is 87....) So just back from hospital and waiting 5 hours!!!!)
Received email from Victrion requesting photo's I used on here and lots more info. They said someone will get back to me in next few days! - so we wait and see.

Will start tomorrow morning as got 300amp (my God it's thick) jumper cable, Blue sea circuit breaker and may join some 8awg together rather than wasting it.

Thanks all.

Back tomorrow

Update: I was not happy trying to force really thick 300amp cable through engine bay across cabin floor into seat area of cab. After hours of looking, testing and placing things here there and everywhere I came up with a solution.
As Dellmassive says, a picture paints a thousand words:
IMG_0731.jpeg
By moving the B2B to here I have saved the wiring 8awg rated at 53amps and installed the Blue sea circuit breaker.

Now the good news the B2B is working fine now seeing 12.7V from battery and starts to charge when battery goes to 13.3V giving me 26amps at battery. This is on tickover as have not been for drive yet, but think once the smart alternator kicks in and 14.4V from it starts charging the veh battery 30 amps should not be a problem. Cables do not hot, but B2B gets warm (20 minutes running for test). Not bothering to use IGN wire connected to the H as seams to be working fine, and I would use the Blue sea circuit breaker.

Just awaiting these to arrive this afternoon and fit them also whilst seats are out. One red and one black.
box.jpg

Just need to check everything is correct before putting seats back in. Knackered........... but happy.

Last edited:
Busbars arrived and fitted. Now everything + and - are connected to busbars and one cable from battery to +/- to busbar. Very tight, as photo shows, but happy enough. just got to put battery secure bar across top tomorrow. Crap photo, but wanted a beer soonest.......
IMG_0736.jpeg
Again, thank you one and all for help and recommendations. Happy teddy now.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I'm also working out how and where to put bits and bobs under the bonnet. I've taken some pictures (I don't have all the bits yet) to see what's feasible ....

IMG_2436.JPEG
The blue box is the Victron Orion-TR 12-12-30 charger. @Qnapper has his rotated so the top edge is pointing towards the front grill, I'm not sure how much airflow there is over the fins if its turned like that.

The grey box is the 3 trip Wilex ala @Deaky.

I'm hoping to be able to fit a Victron 12v/15A on top of the starter battery (which is covered by the squishy OEM felt(?) mat casing). Is there anything else I should take into account beyond the obvious "don't drill holes in the battery or any of the cables"?

Here are a couple of photos that include a ruler for scale:

IMG_2441.JPEGIMG_2442.JPEGIMG_2443.JPEGIMG_2444.JPEG

I'm going to make some 3D printed brackets to secure them in place and allow them to be easily removed to get at the things beneath them / the headlights etc.

Is that a reasonable plan?

UPDATE:
Went away for 5 days to Portugal and it's working a treat. Left home with 45% charge in 180amp battery. Around 2 minutes in journey the B2B kicks in, giving me 28.8amps + 8amps from solar panel = 36.8amps. 3 hours and 50 minutes later, battery shut done the charging via BMS so 100% full.

The B2B showed 14.2volts as did the solar panel.

I stopped to see how hot the B2B was now that it's next to the battery under the bonnet and other than very hot to the touch I would say good enough.

My teddy is now very happy as I have sewn back his arms and legs. :cool:

Back