Victron B2B setup

CMay

Hi everyone

I’m about to start work on wiring the battery to battery charger system in my van and would like a bit of extra peace of mind before jumping into it.

The victron components I am using are:
Orion-Tr smart 12/12 - 30 non-isolated DC/DC charger
Smart shunt 500A/50mV

I’ve decided I only need a basic 12v system as I will only have a fridge, LED lights, USB ports and maybe a small fan. I have attached a drawing of what I think I need to install. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

IMG_4195.jpeg

Looks good to me, though you shouldn’t need the negative from SB to busbar as the SB will be connected to the chassis. Make sure you don’t put anything before the shunt on the SB neg.

Also, make sure your cables are all the correct size taking into account the length, amperage and voltage drop. There is loads of advice and various tables/calculators online (12voltplanet, Explorist.life, Victron Wiring Unlimited etc) to help you work that out.

You may want to consider having upgrade space on the busbars for maybe solar, mains charger connection etc and a switch on the fuse board positive to allow you to turn everything off in one go.

The output from the B2B charger needs a fuse as it is a source.
Work out your currents and spec your cable sizes and fuses appropriately.
You may need additional fuses off your positive busbar depending upon whether you reduce wire size or not to your fuse board.

Back