Victron Orion-tr Smart 12/12 30a Isolated Help please

so im thinking your issue is volt-drop over the cable run - when under load.

----------

so try swapping out the main feed cable for a 16mm2 or even better 25mm2.

++++++

you might need to decouple the fat cable to a thinner cable at the charger end as the 12/12/30 screw terminals are 16mm2 / 6AWG

1655874656889.png

1655874624047.png

so im thinking your issue is volt-drop over the cable run - when under load.

----------

so try swapping out the main feed cable for a 16mm2 or even better 25mm2.

++++++

you might need to decouple the fat cable to a thinner cable at the charger end as the 12/12/30 screw terminals are 16mm2 / 6AWG

View attachment 161807

View attachment 161806

But @Qnapper says he’s measured the voltage on the starter and the input terminals of the victron itself and there’s very little voltage drop in evidence? The mismatch is between the voltage measured on the input terminals by meter and that reported by the victron? This is why I queried the precise timing between these two measurements, to check whether they really were synchronised.

or look at getting a 200w Amp wire kit and swap out the main feed?

this one comes with a cheap 4awg feed cable.

View attachment 161800
If that vibe kit is the same as the one I bought, be careful, the main power cables in it are aluminium coated with copper strands, and so not really suitable for using in the vans (according to SCR).

Also I have a slight problem, whet I was testing my system the other day, van engine running whilst on the drive, (stop start disabled by pressing button) I noticed that the victron app was reporting the dc-dc charger had but down as it had noticed 'engine shut down'. I guess I need to do something with the L_H pin wiring?

But @Qnapper says he’s measured the voltage on the starter and the input terminals of the victron itself and there’s very little voltage drop in evidence? The mismatch is between the voltage measured on the input terminals by meter and that reported by the victron? This is why I queried the precise timing between these two measurements, to check whether they really were synchronised.
That measurements appeared to be off-load.. so no volt drop.

Under load it looked at like the voltage at the terminals had see dropped to 12.6v odd.

We've had similar problem in the past on here......

That was an to issue with the charger being fitted in a rear cupboard.... And too thin a cable for the run length....his run was about 10mtrs.

That measurements appeared to be off-load.. so no volt drop.

Under load it looked at like the voltage at the terminals had see dropped to 12.6v odd.

We've had similar problem in the past on here......

That was an to issue with the charger being fitted in a rear cupboard.... And too thin a cable for the run length....his run was about 10mtrs.

Ok, I read it as the meter reading was alongside the on-load screenshots. It all comes down to my original synchronisation question: was the 13.4v at the input terminals measured at the same time as the victron was reporting 12.6v or not? If not, likely the load issue (or the alternator turning off), but if so, as seems to be implied by the original experiments, there’s something weird going on.

Firstly, thank you one and all for the suggestions. I'm taking a break this morning to go get a set of jumpers cables and will try that test this afternoon.

What I cannot understand is it has been working since fitted last year (nothing changed or added since fitting)

Tried the IGN wire connected to the H last night and made no différance (H cable showing 13.4V and checked it went off with key out of ignition, so know it works)

Dellmassive asked:
Can you post some pics of your starter battery . . .

Leisure battery:
will remove driver's seat this morning for photo.

Victron cables:
wire.jpg

Where is the charger located:
IMG_1020.JPG

Passenger seat base bolted to side.

What is the cable run lengths for each run: The cable above is about 2.2 metres from engine bay to victron under passenger seat. Then about 0.5 metres to leisure battery

pics say a 1000 words etc. . .

Firstly, thank you one and all for the suggestions. I'm taking a break this morning to go get a set of jumpers cables and will try that test this afternoon.

What I cannot understand is it has been working since fitted last year (nothing changed or added since fitting)

Tried the IGN wire connected to the H last night and made no différance (H cable showing 13.4V and checked it went off with key out of ignition, so know it works)

Dellmassive asked:
Can you post some pics of your starter battery . . .

Leisure battery:
will remove driver's seat this morning for photo.

Victron cables:
View attachment 161813

Where is the charger located:
View attachment 161812

Passenger seat base bolted to side.

What is the cable run lengths for each run: The cable above is about 2.2 metres from engine bay to victron under passenger seat. Then about 0.5 metres to leisure battery

pics say a 1000 words etc. . .
In this pic I can’t see a cable to the output!

You have an Isolated version... Same as me.

You have 1 ground bolted to the stud ...... Where does the second one go?

On mine I connected both NEG to the same ground stud to keep up the cable as short as possible.

As both battery already had good ground connection... And body chassis is best ground.

Try moving the second ground to the same stud to shorten the cable.

@Qnapper - the most critical thing here is to confirm the mismatch between the meter measured voltage at the victron input terminals and that reported by the victron app whilst it’s charging. That’s the standout issue that needs clarifying (and may indicate a broken unit if confirmed), everything else is basically explainable. If you leave the meter on, and keep an eye on the app whilst starting the engine, and then for 30s or so, that should confirm it.

On mine I connected both NEG to the same ground stud to keep up the cable as short as possible.

As both battery already had good ground connection... And body chassis is best ground.

The other ground goes to ground blot under driver's seat.

@Qnapper - the most critical thing here is to confirm the mismatch between the meter measured voltage at the victron input terminals and that reported by the victron app whilst it’s charging. That’s the standout issue that needs clarifying (and may indicate a broken unit if confirmed), everything else is basically explainable. If you leave the meter on, and keep an eye on the app whilst starting the engine, and then for 30s or so, that should confirm it.
Tried that yesterday - in all forms recommended by manual. Will take photo's today using jumper cables. I'm convinced it's the unit at fault.

Dodgy ground could explain the voltage mismatch, depending on where the -ve of the meter was placed.

Try moving that long cable from seat bolt to ground stud next to charger..

Have all connections been checked for corrosion?

Back