Victron MPPT under bonnet?

moodsterT6

T6 Caravelle - Day Van - Occasional Camper
T6 Pro
Anyone have or considered fitting a Victron MPPT under the bonnet? specifically in the battery compartment which in my case is a T6 Caravelle. I’ve done some research, a thread on the Victron community forum states they don’t recommend it due to heat and its IP44 rating but I would argue it can get equally hot inside the van when left with doors and windows closed up. The battery compartment is dry, I already have a mains consumer unit fitted there although that is IP65.

I only use portable solar panels so the controller will not be actively charging and when it is I could leave the bonnet propped up. There is no more room under either of the seats in my Caravelle and MPPT controllers are recommended to be installed as close to the battery as possible. In my case I want to use it to charge the Starter battery. I’d just use an Anderson connector to plug in the Portable panel when require, I currently do this now with the MPPT input on the CTEK.

I could fit a 12v cooling fan and connect it to the load output of the Victron MPPT, have it active only when the battery voltage is at a level for charging. I’m going to test it out with thermometers etc. but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

cheers,

Nick

Deaky fitted his victron battery charger under the scuttle panel at the back of the battery!
Do you have a photo of your CU install under the bonnet?

Deaky fitted his victron battery charger under the scuttle panel at the back of the battery!
Do you have a photo of your CU install under the bonnet?

The charger Deaky fitted is IP65, the MPPT is only IP43 and the cable connections at the bottom are only IP22

EF44EE5C-EC1C-4525-8DA8-6DBCDEB8AE60.jpeg

Should I decide to fit the MPPT there I’ll need to relocate the mains socket

looking at the below spec for the 75/15 MPPT . .

you might be able to fit the unit near the starter battery . . . ? - its dry there.

with the terminals facing down in the correct orientation . . ? - to help any water run off.

heat wise, its good to go full power up to 40degC (but can take 60C), so if you only planning to use it when mobile camping . . . and engine is not running . . . then heat might not an issue?

id say give it a go. . . . . . have you got a leisure setup? - is this just to trickle charge the starter when camping?, whats running of the starter?

what panels were you looking at ?

and what Victron controller ? . . . as they differ in size as you go up the range.?

or why not just leave the panel on the CTEK . . and get a "reverse charger" - that will charge the "starter battery" from the Leisure setup.

1614611922509.png

1614611981468.png

1614612550193.png

1614612562331.png

also what's the blue smart charger connected to ?

also what's the blue smart charger connected to ?

The 75/15 is the unit I’ve ordered.

The 15AMP Charger in the picture is connected to the Starter battery. When it’s powered up the VSR in CTEK D250 detects the higher voltage and charges the Leisure battery.

I already have 200W Lensun folding portable panels which work really well. The issue I have is that the CTEK prioritises the charging of the Leisure battery, It takes hours before it decides to trickle charge the Starter via the MPPT hence why I’d prefer to charge the Starter with the Victron MPPT then have the CTEK back charge to the Leisure battery. This works really well with the mains charger so I’d like to extend that functionality to Solar Charging.

gotcha . . . sounds like a very nice setup . .

post some pics here for us to see. . . .

Sure will, I’ll detail the whole install. Couldn’t have done it without the support of this Forum.

Back