Very odd interior light issue

Andyman

Photographer
T6 Guru
‘Morning all

A weird problem has started in my T6 Caravelle

Yesterday went for its first mot, all good

This morning, as I’m driving, I needed to see something so pressed the button for the courtesy light, came on but extremely dim, so thought I’d slide the vanity mirror and use that light, it didn’t work, after a while it did work but it was also very dim AND turned in the rear cabin lighting at the same time, never ever done that before

Parked up locked up left it for half hour come back, vanity mirror light not working again

Any ideas please

Odd. Any other electrical issues?

Does it start ok?.

‘Morning all

This morning, as I’m driving, I needed to see something so pressed the button for the courtesy light, came on but extremely dim, so thought I’d slide the vanity mirror and use that light, it didn’t work, after a while it did work but it was also very dim AND turned in the rear cabin lighting at the same time, never ever done that before

Parked up locked up left it for half hour come back, vanity mirror light not working again

Any ideas please
Earthing problem on that circuit.

@Loz

Thanks for that little nugget, makes a lot of sense

But….. what would have caused that? And how do I remedy it?

@Loz

Thanks for that little nugget, makes a lot of sense

But….. what would have caused that? And how do I remedy it?
Possible corrosion on one of the common earth points.
caused by… water ingress? Maybe..

need to look up the earthing diagram, but 2 places off the top of head are; bulkhead behind the pedals and behind the dash clocks. There might be one high up above the courtesy lights. (Most likely)

@Loz

Why did I know you were gonna get too tech for me lol

Sounds like I need to head back to vw or find someone competent and confident

@Loz

Why did I know you were gonna get too tech for me lol

Sounds like I need to head back to vw or find someone competent and confident
If you understand “ISO” “Aperture v depth of field” and “f” stops, then you should be ok checking some bolts for corrosion :)

I’ll take a look at the diagram when I get to my desk.
what year is yours?

It could be a splice in the loom up there. These will come down to a common earth point either behind the trim on the A-pillar where the bonnet release catch is(I'm sure I have seen one here, others may confirm), or on the earth stud under the starter battery in the E-box.

‘Morning all

Any ideas please
My interior lights went iffy when my battery was going knackered... New battery, problem solved :thumbsup:

My guess is the colds killed it, not a moll is it?

Back