Interior lights have stopped working

The_Lad

T6 Guru
Hi All

The interior lights in my van have stopped working. Nothing has changed they have just stopped.

No lights when I unlock
No lights when I open the door
No lights pressing the map light buttons overhead
No lights when sliding the switch to always on

Help I’m guessing a fuse but which one and where?

If it’s not a fuse I guess some control module but I’m hoping it’s not that and everything else seems to be ok including all exterior lighting etc

Cheers I’ll check that one tomorrow bit tricky to see with no lights in the van currently

Ok a really stupid question now. Where is that fuse panel?

I recall when fitting my split charge it was somewhere near the base of the gearstick? However I’ve since had a comfort dash fitted and not sure how to get to it now

Ok found the fuse box, however the 7.5amp fuse is fine so any ideas on why my interior lights have stopped working?

Have you checked the fuse with a meter? They can crack rather than blow, and visually look fine.

If the fuse is ok - if it isn't you'll have no rear tail lights.... The only other thing you could try is a BCM reset. Disconnect the battery, and leisure battery if you have one. Disable any solar panel charger if you have one and touch together the negative and positive leads that connect to the starter battery. This will discharge any capacitance in the BCM and possibly clear any faults.

I’ll check with a meter tomorrow

Tail lights are working fine though

I’ll try the battery disconnected and BCM reset but will have to remove the passenger seat to disconnect the leisure battery so will be a pain might have to leave that until the weekend

Checked the fuse and it’s ok, I’ve just noticed though that the cig lighter socket in the comfort dash tray isnt working either (the dash top one works).

Anyone know which fuse that is on?

Also checked sc40 and another 15amp fuse from a search here and all ok. My handbook is of no use just says at the time of printing we don’t know what fuses are where FFS

So looks like it’s seat out on the weekend

The fuse for the socket in the cup holder tray is 15a under the passenger seat

Did you resolve this @The_Lad as I have the same problem

Did you resolve this @The_Lad as I have the same problem
Yes mine turned out to be an issue where the BCM had locked out the lighting circuit, a friend scanned the van for errors and found a short circuit error in the BCM he reset the code and they have been working ever since.

It’s a strange code as as far as I know the BCM outputs a ground to activate the lights so by the nature of that there can’t be a short to ground, but anyway resetting the code sorted it

BCM provides positive (+) feed to all kinds of front T6 headlamp lights.
See below my T6 LED measurements.
Okay, let's rock and roll.
I have worked out exactly the coding.:)
For the VW T6 LED headlights retrofit the following VCDS modifications have to be done in the long coding of 09 BCM/CEM

Byte 18 bit 0 1
Byte 18 bit 1 1
Byte 18 bit 2 0
Byte 18 bit 3 0
Byte 18 bit 4 1
Byte 18 bit 5 1
Byte 18 bit 6 1
Byte 18 bit 7 0
Byte 21 bit 0 1
Byte 22 bit 2 0
Byte 22 bit 4 1
Byte 23 bit 5 0

And by the way, all of the wiring from the halogen setup(either H4 or twin H7) can be reused for the LED lights except for the side lights.
Two new wires have to be run from BCM plug B
PIN5 to LHS lamp PIN10
PIN6 to RHS lamp PIN10
The reason is below.

View attachment 19044

This is the voltage produced by BCM to the LED headlamps on PIN10 when side lights are switched ON.
At the same time 12V DC is supplied to PIN12.

And when DRLs are switched ON both PIN10 & PIN12 receive 12V DC.

If there is only one PIN(either 10 or 12) supplied with 12V DC DRLs/sides will remain OFF. Obviously this should not happen when retrofit was carried out properly.

Both low & high beam are 12V DC.
And when engine is running voltages are as follows.
View attachment 31755
View attachment 31756
Low beam is actually produced from the module with 3 LED chips and high beam module consists only 2 LED chips.
And this is the reason why the current consuption is lower on high beam and cable size was reduced accordingly.

In general LEDs are way more efficient than halogen light bulbs and therefore produce much more light with less wattage.

My DRLs with engine running.

Voltage at PIN 12.
View attachment 31855
And voltage at PIN 10
View attachment 31856

By the way, have you done any coding yet?

Reactions: mmi
Is there a relay or something associated with the courtesy light delay?
If yes, where is it please?

Some extra info here:

Back