VCDS Tweaks.

That’s creepy, I was parked on that street today and I live a couple hundred miles away !!
It wouldn't be creepy if you knew what it means in Polish.;)
Use Google and find out yourself, I simply can't post it here.
Sorry for drifting off topic.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mmi
It wouldn't be creepy if you knew what it means in Polish.;)
Use Google and find out yourself, I simply can't post it here.
Sorry for drifting off topic.
i had a look this afternoon and had a chuckle ...Meeoww:p

4C5F0386-5F3D-4A8E-BE70-DDF46C9E3080.jpeg
I just had my Ross-Tech cable delivered last Friday and did my first VCDS-playing today guided by all the useful information I found on this forum. Brilliant!
Things I did include the H4 to H7 settings, needle sweep, activation of the fog lights (and cornering lights) I mechanically installed just before Christmas (proof in picture), DRL now with rear lights (as is common on the continent)

Thank you all for sharing your experience , nice!

Regards Huib

Don’t think so unless it’s in the VIP member area ?
The one I made is in there but it’s just a list of all coding options for all modules just for referencing and scanning through options

@Pauly yeah I think that’s the one I was referring to.

@Robert thanks I did see that, it was just so I wasn’t reposting info that was already known :thumbsup:

Yes, correct - it changes the value but as we want to set/clear individual bits (in certain position) this subtraction works correctly only if bit 1 would have been "1" but as it happens to be "0" which means we are subtracting "0"-"1" but we can't go to down to "-1" but have to "borrow" from next bit , from bit 2. The same happens with decimal numbers, for example, 1000-2=0998, where in the result there are no digits (0..9) that are remaining in their original value in their original position.

By the way, just went out to check how this works with factory LEDs. The full byte 22 in mine is "79"="0111 1001". So in this case the significant lower half is "9".

Original "9"=1001, replaced with "D"=1101, (setting only bit 2!, others remain as they were) and now I have only either dipped or high beam on (not both). Looks very weird as the dipped and high beams are normally "stacked" on top of each other and now I'm missing the low part :eek:. As a side effect bulb failure on dash was triggered but that cleared after returning the "1001" setting.

(If I had done it by subtracting hex/dec numbers 9-2 = 7 I would have got "0111" which would have resulted most likely quite unpredictable results by turning off bit 3 (Display daytime running light active/installed). I didn't dare to try that) o_O Edit: grayed out because irrelevant in the context - have to careful which way bits are and which way to modify: setting or clearing a bit.

And yes full byte has to entered manually - so in the above I had to replace "79" with "7D", and then return the settings by entering "79". Actually there is a helping tool in the VCDS to tick all the bits individually (@Loz 's post above) but I think the tool still needs some polishing.
Hello all

I'm suffering from the problem with the daylight running lights, where I don't want them lighting up the world just because my engine is running.

Does anyone know if it is possible on a 2015 T5 to have them only come on when the handbrake is released as previously mentioned by other?

And if so could they explain to a simpleton who goes knows how to turn on VCDS how to do it?

Hello all

I'm suffering from the problem with the daylight running lights, where I don't want them lighting up the world just because my engine is running.

Does anyone know if it is possible on a 2015 T5 to have them only come on when the handbrake is released as previously mentioned by other?

And if so could they explain to a simpleton who goes knows how to turn on VCDS how to do it?
I'm fairly confident the solution also for 2015 T5 is the same as for T6

Have a look ---> Bcu Central Electrics Module 09 Byte Screen Shots

VCDS -> Select Control Module -> 09-Centr.Elec. -> Coding.... Find Byte 23 - tick "Bit 4".

However, before taking the steps above make a backup of the codings:
VCDS -> Auto-Scan.... SAVE!

I'm fairly confident the solution also for 2015 T5 is the same as for T6

Have a look ---> Bcu Central Electrics Module 09 Byte Screen Shots

VCDS -> Select Control Module -> 09-Centr.Elec. -> Coding.... Find Byte 23 - tick "Bit 4".

However, before taking the steps above make a backup of the codings:
VCDS -> Auto-Scan.... SAVE!
It seems mine (2015 T5) is done slightly differently. Annoyingly as have had to turn them off, however if anyone has evidence I'm wrong please do correct me.
DRL off.jpeg

However I did find this below. Anyone know what 'DRL adjustable manually and/or instrument cluster' means? I tried switching this on but made no difference I could see.
DRL Adjust.jpeg

And while on the subject of VCDS anyone know how to make the rear interior lights stay on longer after they are switched on? Van was originally a Kombi so suppose always had a switch for rear light.

It seems mine (2015 T5) And while on the subject of VCDS anyone know how to make the rear interior lights stay on longer after they are switched on? Van was originally a Kombi so suppose always had a switch for rear light.

Central electrics 09, adaptation channel 38. Value x 0.5 to give the time in minutes. So 254 = 127 mins

It seems mine (2015 T5) is done slightly differently. Annoyingly as have had to turn them off, however if anyone has evidence I'm wrong please do correct me.
I see... the BCM has different part number (than T6) so VCDS has loaded another description file - which obviously isn't quite up to date.

However, there is a workaround. Just click "LCode 2" to enter into "raw" mode (all the tick boxes show up, though still undocumented) and then tick the "Bit 4". (And retick bit 6!)
upload_2020-2-29_21-18-38.png

However I did find this below. Anyone know what 'DRL adjustable manually and/or instrument cluster' means? I tried switching this on but made no difference I could see.
Presumably puts a DRL ON/OFF selection into MFD. However, doesn't seem to work on T5/T6. There are a few mentions about this somewhere in the Forum.

Last edited:
Yes different part number will have a different label file so it’s possible that byte is just not documented for your BCM (also possible it’s simply not there/won’t work)

Reactions: mmi
Back