VCDS HEX-NET or HEX-V2

Which VCDS?

• HEX-NET Unlimited VIN (Cable + WIFI to Laptop and Mobile/Tablet version available) $1037.19AUD

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • HEX-V2 Unlimited VIN (Cable to Laptop only) $734.58AUD

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • HEX-V2 Limited to 10 VIN (Cable to Laptop only) $564.85 AUD

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Bluephantom

T6.1 SWB 4motion Panel Van
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
So I'm looking at buying a VCDS.

In your opinion,

Is the HEX-NET totally worth getting?
HEXNET21K-1000x1000.jpgHEX_V2-unlimited%20Vin-1000x1000.jpg

I've added the current price from my local online dealer in here in Australia as a reference. But anyone can Vote.

Not really,

unless you want to use the Remote head - wifi feature

and MOBILE VCDS APP on your phone / tablet

++++++++++++

I've got the HEX-NET

++++++++++++

It depends.

If it’s for causal personal use then the V2 will be more than adequate.

If it’s for professional use then the Hex-Net is worth the extra for the speed boost alone.

Not sure on the V2 but the Hex-Net can be updated too. I imagine the V2 can be but never had one so can’t confirm.

Speed boost? Where exactly?

The Hex-Net is noticeably quicker with autoscans and channel mapping. Even though they have the same CPU.

Well, when used at a garage and they’ve been using a V2. Probably other variables that contributed but I was finished and done with mine as they were still finishing their scans.

Could just be a placebo effect lol

Reactions: mmi
The Hex-Net is noticeably quicker with autoscans and channel mapping. Even though they have the same CPU.

Well, when used at a garage and they’ve been using a V2. Probably other variables that contributed but I was finished and done with mine as they were still finishing their scans.

Could just be a placebo effect lol
Thanks for clarifying. Difficult to see how there would be speed difference as the CANbus is probably the final bottleneck.
Just checked a couple of old logs and scan speed varies hugely - between different cars.
E.g. full scan of all controllers (all channel maps) on my T6 takes 26 minutes, whereas the same on a similar T6.1 only 11 minutes. The bottleneck in T6 is BCM being of "old architecture" thus interrogating hundreds of non-responding channels just takes a lot of time.

Anyways, the new HEX-NET might have some future potential - through latest/future diagnostics buses

More general Ross'Tech's comparison chart

Ok, so I've decided I don't need the wifi function or the mobile app version. So I've ordered the HEX-V2 10 VIN. It's going to get the same result and I'm probably better off saving my cash to put towards something else like some nice rims.

Heading to S.America with a 2023 T6.1 and looking for a robust VCDS.

I spoke to rep at Ross-Tech, and they were super helpful. She said NET is easier and more convenient to use, especially on longer trips where laptop isn't always handy (be sure to download all files first), and/or if you are a MAC user (which I am) But if $$ is a major factor, to get the V2 (and a cheap/old windows laptop).

QUESTION: If these Ross-Tech units didn't exist, what would be another really good option to consider?

I suppose it depends what you really want it for. OBDeleven seems to be a popular alternative.
I don't know what I don't know... ;)

I had a Nanocom for my Td5 Defender which was super helpful and could be used for live data, clearing codes, reprogramming, security coding, and mapping on programable ECUs.

Do you know the main differences between the OBD eleven and the Hex-Net?

I'm looking for what a mechanic would find very helpful - in S America knowledge is easy to find, but proper tools aren't. One thing I hear about is modern vehicles going into into "limp mode" due to Euro6 precautions, and being able to clear those. Some highly regarded overland traveler/engineers I know recommend leaving the emissions controls in place, rather than removing.

I'm better at traveling then wrenching, so appreciate input.

I don't know what I don't know... ;)

I had a Nanocom for my Td5 Defender which was super helpful and could be used for live data, clearing codes, reprogramming, security coding, and mapping on programable ECUs.

Do you know the main differences between the OBD eleven and the Hex-Net?

I'm looking for what a mechanic would find very helpful - in S America knowledge is easy to find, but proper tools aren't. One thing I hear about is modern vehicles going into into "limp mode" due to Euro6 precautions, and being able to clear those. Some highly regarded overland traveler/engineers I know recommend leaving the emissions controls in place, rather than removing.

I'm better at traveling then wrenching, so appreciate input.
I'm fairly sure that all of the VagComs can do that kind of stuff you need it for. I've personally haven't used OBDeleven or Carista, But from what I've seen they seem more user friendly than VCDS.

VCDS could have the potential to do more things but that is only if you spend the time learning how to do those things without permanently damaging your vehicle's computer system. It is more than a diagnostic tool, it can be used to to recode the vehicle.

But in saying that OBDeleven can do some recoding too.

Back