VanTech Aftermarket Replacement Headlights

LIGHTS STOPPED WORKING;

MY REVIEW.

Well what can I say, I collected and installed the DRL headlights from VanTech on the 16/02/2018.

Firstly, I noticed the DRL’s would flicker when main beam was on. I was told bt VanTech to install the 55w h7 bulbs as this would prevent them from doing that. So after spending some more money on them I did that. They were still flickering.

Fast forward a week, I notice while in traffic that my passenger side headlight wasn’t showing the reflection of the DRL. Waited till I got home and checked them. Passengers side DRL was out. Spoke with my son who said he would take my van up to VanTech to show them light came back on the dash after this happened even thou I had the fault cleared.

So in the morning, I check them both DRL’s are on. Fast forward a could days and then the drivers side DRL is out. My son said he would take my T6 up to VanTech to show them and get a refund. My son rings before he goes and says both DLR’s are working however he will still take it to get them checked.

My son arrives at VanTech and the drivers DRL is out when they check them over. After speaking and then checking the installation they agree that I should get a pair to exchange. However I didn’t want a exchange I wanted a refund. No problem VanTech said. Take them out and bring them back. I did this on the 29th of March. They said they can’t give me a refund while I’m there as they need to send them off to the wholesalers to get them tested. However I didn’t purchase off the wholesaler I purchased off VanTech. 12th April I finally get a refund.

Will not be using VanTech again due to the lack of communication and poor customer service. So the JunYan lights are a big thumbs down from me.

Did you get the coding done as that would have stopped the flickering without the need for different bulbs (no idea how you got H7s to fit).

Sorry I ended up fitting the PIAA Hyper Arrosand had them coded. However the issues still were around. However the main DRL bar was the main issue. They kept going off after 40 minuets - 1 hour.

There's not really anything to go wrong inside the units, it's only basic wiring. I seem to remember one of the DRL connectors needed pushing flush on mine although I put that down to me fishing the wires out to see how they were making dipped and main work together. I'll keep an eye on the DRLs on long journeys now to see if I have the same problem.

Resurrecting an old thread......
With the nights getting darker, I noticed that the DRLs were not on with dipped beam. It turns out they were also not on as sidelights either but did work when the lights were turned off (ie as DRLs). A day later, one of the DRLs went off. Using an android endoscope, I could see that a part of the circuit on the DRL was fried on both units. So back to the supplier who gave me a very prompt refund.

These have now been replaced by the Transporter HQ lights (55W) which appear to perform at least as well as the Jun Yan units for visibility (possibly a touch better) and have a much better internal chassis for mounting the light units and user adjustment. Although the Jun Yan had a more uniform DRL light, that was only until they failed!

I have had a set of these installed a while ago, but in the summer never actually used the headlights until recently as its getting darker now, the vision at night is what can I say ' RUBBISH' I would most probably be able to see better if I put a candle in them !!, is there a different bulb that can be put in to get these to work a bit better ??. Im not exactly brilliant with electrics hence the question, also the light warning light is on, do I have to take this somewhere to get re set ?

I have had a set of these installed a while ago, but in the summer never actually used the headlights until recently as its getting darker now, the vision at night is what can I say ' RUBBISH' I would most probably be able to see better if I put a candle in them !!, is there a different bulb that can be put in to get these to work a bit better ??. Im not exactly brilliant with electrics hence the question, also the light warning light is on, do I have to take this somewhere to get re set ?
I put PIAA Hyper Arros in mine and found them to be fine. I did a 5 hour early morning drive earlier in the year and was comparing the light output to the other stuff on the A1 and M1 at the time and apart from the odd vehicle with proper LED units found them certainly on par and generally a touch better for light put down on the road.

For your bulb warning you need to get someone with VCDS to go in and change the tick for the bulb warning light.

Whilst your units are in warranty make sure the DRLs are still functioning as side light (ie when you have dipped beam on).

Ordered some will give my opinion once I’ve fitted them, got to better than they are now.
I hope the DRLs keep working long enough for you to use them. Although the DRLs are not required to be working on pre March 2018 vehicles, working sidelights are and as these lights use a dimmed DRL as sidelights, if they stop working (and a few have been reported on this forum now), the headlights are ready for the bin.

......and cheaper than the current aftermarket offerings too. :thumbsup:
The OEM H7 H1 units are good value and I did consider them when I had to return my jun-yan units. Projector vs reflector and approx £10 per unit difference won the battle for me so I went for the Transporter HQ units.

The OEM H7 H1 units are good value and I did consider them when I had to return my jun-yan units. Projector vs reflector and approx £10 per unit difference won the battle for me so I went for the Transporter HQ units.

The VW units (Valeo) are H7/H7, however if you buy the Valeo units without the VW logo/branding, they are H7/H1 . :thumbsup:

I just couldn't live with the poor quality finish to the wiring on the THQ units at that price. :(

Last edited:
I just couldn't live with the poor quality finish to the wiring on the THQ units at that price. :(

I thought the same when I first saw the photos posted on this forum (one of the reasons I bought the jun-yan units originally) however when my Sonar units (THQ) turned up they have tidied up the wiring now with conduit so they look much tidier.

Well the bulbs are and they are certainly brighter, but the spread of the beam is quite poor as in you still cant see far up the road with them, is there a way of altering the beam height ?

If you read the original post I had the same issue. There's two ways of adjusting the height.

Talk about digging up an old post ... but people don’t like when you start a new one either :confused: So are the original posters bulbs the right ones? H9 and H1? I’ve just fitted these candles on the T6 and I think they’re dangerously poor :geek: need to order A HID dipped beem kit and LED high beems, it’s dark and can’t see any markings on these made in Taiwan specials :notworthy:

5DAC6D96-5AD2-4647-A8B1-E6226B2FC211.jpeg

8BCE1C7E-EAEE-468F-A3AC-302D2D07A497.jpeg

Talk about digging up an old post ... but people don’t like when you start a new one either :confused: So are the original posters bulbs the right ones? H9 and H1? I’ve just fitted these candles on the T6 and I think they’re dangerously poor :geek: need to order A HID dipped beem kit and LED high beems, it’s dark and can’t see any markings on these made in Taiwan specials :notworthy:

View attachment 59780

View attachment 59781

Definitely H9 & H1. I ran mine with PIAA filament bulbs and found they were pretty good.

Back