VanMax pop-top..??

Dorse77

Hello, just start on the journey of converting my newly purchased t6 lwb shuttle. Looking at low profile roofs, does anyone have a Vanmax roof? And what are your thoughts?

Has anyone had a van max pop top fitted? Or any experience with them, thinking of booking my van in with them.
Thanks

Booked to have ours fitted at the end of July so was just wondering.. I’ll give feedback after.

Have you seen any reviews / recommendations for them? If no, you're braver than me taking the leap without.......

I have seen vans that have had them fitted online and there is a van with one fitted but I feel cheeky asking them about their roof with no intention of buying their van..

I have to say that looks very good with the low profile but, personally, I would still like to see some good reviews before taking the plunge. At the end of the day, there are plenty out there to choose from that have been reviewed here on T6F and elsewhere (whether good, bad or mixed). That said, I wouldn't presume to tell you how to spend your money and I guess someone's always got to be the first. Enjoy the end result and don't forget to report back.

Some one has got to take the plunge, I know what you’re saying I nearly went for a hi-lo but was quoted £5800 and I can’t warrant that on the roof and the installer said the quality isn’t that great for the money.

I know and the van max is £3450 colour coded, with LED lights under the bed and mattress. And i understand ‘you get what you pay for’ but the guy seems genuinely helpful and knowledgeable.

I know and the van max is £3450 colour coded, with LED lights under the bed and mattress. And i understand ‘you get what you pay for’ but the guy seems genuinely helpful and knowledgeable.

aye, but there's a limit to that (what you get...) and nigh on 6k for a roof...
jeeeez...

You can get the basic one (No scenic canvas, in white and the black hinges) fitted at hi-lo and it’s £3700 but October is the earliest now

You can get the basic one (No scenic canvas, in white and the black hinges) fitted at hi-lo and it’s £3700 but October is the earliest now
I’m interested in their roof too. But there’s not much on t’internet. I’m thinking of having a drive up later this week to have a look at them in the flesh and see what they are about. I’ll add my thoughts to this post.

Hi bigsidavies, that’s be great if you could post some more photo’s, always good to see more. There’s a few listings on eBay for them and I posted a van up for sale on here with one fitted.

I’ve been over to Halifax campers this morning-had a couple of spare hours.

I like the look of the vanmax roof. The finish looks good, the profile is nice and slim and is really discreet. All looks tidy when fitted. I like the ridged profile which mimics the original roof line, a little bit like a California roof. Also looks like it gives it some strength to stop any sagging in the middle.
No big thick beads of silicon round the canvas fitting as I have previously seen on an Austops one. I looked at one that was waiting customer collection and hadn’t been carpet trimmed around the cutout. All looked pretty tidy, but I’ve only seen two or three previously.
Guy turned up for his van whilst I was there and seemed pretty happy.
They had a couple of trimmed up completed vans and the mechanism was nice and smooth-only a gentle push required.
Ok, so the negatives. They (Halifax) don’t do a bifold roof bed which reduces head height at the back. But are more than happy to let you source your own.
Also they don’t do a front cover board such as you can have with Hilo-but I guess you can make and carpet one of those.

I’m going to pop up (no pun intended) to vanmax at Leeds on Saturday morning just to compare the two outfits and choose who I want to do my fitting.

Hope this helps.

I’ve been over to Halifax campers this morning-had a couple of spare hours.

I like the look of the vanmax roof. The finish looks good, the profile is nice and slim and is really discreet. All looks tidy when fitted. I like the ridged profile which mimics the original roof line, a little bit like a California roof. Also looks like it gives it some strength to stop any sagging in the middle.
No big thick beads of silicon round the canvas fitting as I have previously seen on an Austops one. I looked at one that was waiting customer collection and hadn’t been carpet trimmed around the cutout. All looked pretty tidy, but I’ve only seen two or three previously.
Guy turned up for his van whilst I was there and seemed pretty happy.
They had a couple of trimmed up completed vans and the mechanism was nice and smooth-only a gentle push required.
Ok, so the negatives. They (Halifax) don’t do a bifold roof bed which reduces head height at the back. But are more than happy to let you source your own.
Also they don’t do a front cover board such as you can have with Hilo-but I guess you can make and carpet one of those.

I’m going to pop up (no pun intended) to vanmax at Leeds on Saturday morning just to compare the two outfits and choose who I want to do my fitting.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bisidavies,

Great feedback thank you! I was wondering about the front cover board and thought I’d make one if it didn’t come with one when fitted.
I also wondered about the bed, but I suppose you can’t stand up at the back anyway can you..
Mines supposed to be booked in for the end of the month but Iain hasn’t rang me back all week (from vanmax). I’ll try him again in the morning.

Thanks again

Hi Bisidavies,

Great feedback thank you! I was wondering about the front cover board and thought I’d make one if it didn’t come with one when fitted.
I also wondered about the bed, but I suppose you can’t stand up at the back anyway can you..
Mines supposed to be booked in for the end of the month but Iain hasn’t rang me back all week (from vanmax). I’ll try him again in the morning.

Thanks again
You’d be surprised. I’m 6’ and could walk quite a way towards the back. A bifold bed board would effectively take the rear of the board to the height created by the scissor hinge which would give plenty more room.
If you’ve not done so then go and stand in a van with the folding board and see if you need it. I’m sure there’ll be a hire or conversion company near to you where you can rock up and look interested and have a look see.

You’d be surprised. I’m 6’ and could walk quite a way towards the back. A bifold bed board would effectively take the rear of the board to the height created by the scissor hinge which would give plenty more room.
If you’ve not done so then go and stand in a van with the folding board and see if you need it. I’m sure there’ll be a hire or conversion company near to you where you can rock up and look interested and have a look see.

good idea! I’ll do that while the misses is away, do you think i could adapt the bed board that comes with it?

Back