Van X full length threshold. What’s going on, is it just shockingly poor quality?

My order from Van X arrived yesterday, it was the first time I have bought anything from them and it has been far from a positive experience.
The first item I bought was a gear knob cover. There was nothing wrong with my old gear knob, but my 9 year old son is very excited about the new van and wanted to buy me something for the van for my birthday. This is what he decided on. £19.99 is a lot of money for a knob cover, so was expecting something of fantastic quality for that price. My son came out to the van to help me fit it. We attached it, but the numbers weren’t straight. I twisted it to get it into position and it fell apart. He was obviously upset and now thinks he’s bought me a rubbish birthday present, which it appears he has. The quality is shocking. No better, if not worse, than the ones on Amazon for £5.99.
IMG_2238.jpeg
The next item was a full length V2 threshold, which quite simply, doesn’t fit ! Yes I realise it’s made to accommodate the 12mm ply floor I don’t have fitted yet, but even then, it’s too shallow, the foam insert doesn’t fit and without the foam insert it still doesn’t fit. Rather than try and explain the issues with it, you can see for yourself here.

Anyone got thoughts on this threshold ? Without the foam insert, and without the lugs touching the clips on the van they screw into, every time you tread on the threshold it’s gonna bend and possibly break. What am I missing here ?

Speaking from experience, they're pretty bad. Had quite a few Van-X parts fitted on my previous T5.1, from previous owner. That was the first thing I did. De-Mod it XD

I made the mistake of buying the cover for the top dash for £60 and it comes in 3 parts, the lid the bit to fix to the van and two little metal pins which were the hinges. I fit it and one of the hinges fell out and rolled down the dash. My fault or not it is pretty poor quality overall. After a few messages on ebay they asked for my address to send another hinge out which I'm still waiting for. I don't think i will be ordering from them again. The lid seems really expensive for what it is and already messaged them beforehand to say it was different from the pictures on the listing.

Sent them an email last night, saying basically the same as my initial post.
Response was a pretty generic 'fill out a return form and send it back'.
Live and learn, as they say. They won’t be seeing any more of my money.

Sent them an email last night, saying basically the same as my initial post.
Response was a pretty generic 'fill out a return form and send it back'.
Live and learn, as they say. They won’t be seeing any more of my money.
I have a brand new caravelle threshold. Pm me if interested.

I had a glove box and the lid was bent!
Had to send it back and they sent me a straight one.
Not as good quality as I expected.
Curtains are the muts though!

I took my T6.1, T32, SWB, 4Motion, Manual (72 Plate) for it's first FREE minor service to SMG Tonbridge yesterday. I went to the parts department and enquired about a full length treshold for my tailgate. I was quoted £40ish and decide to go ahead. It used the foam from the old one as it already had he holes. I will always use genuine VW parts just to save myself the problems with after market parts. Ollie in the parts department helped fit it as I have mobility issues. I also ordered the caps that cover the screws holding the threshold cover in place too.

I can't thank Ollie enough from taking time out to fit it for me. I love my Transporter and I am new to the VW brand too!

ATB!

David

I took my T6.1, T32, SWB, 4Motion, Manual (72 Plate) for it's first FREE minor service to SMG Tonbridge yesterday. I went to the parts department and enquired about a full length treshold for my tailgate. I was quoted £40ish and decide to go ahead. It used the foam from the old one as it already had he holes. I will always use genuine VW parts just to save myself the problems with after market parts. Ollie in the parts department helped fit it as I have mobility issues. I also ordered the caps that cover the screws holding the threshold cover in place too.

I can't thank Ollie enough from taking time out to fit it for me. I love my Transporter and I am new to the VW brand too!

ATB!

David
Hi David,
Yes I sent mine back and have a genuine one on its way.

Dont need the foam insert. Throw it away.

I have the van-X V3 I think.. fits perfect on my vehicle.

86E7E1A3-73C4-47DB-8673-A5411BABC8C3.jpeg

Dont need the foam insert. Throw it away.

I have the van-X V3 I think.. fits perfect on my vehicle.

View attachment 220848
Mine was the V2. The fixings down by the door retainers were about 20mm off meaning if you stood on it in the middle it would flex, and probably break. The foam is there to prevent that. The quality was also very poor. I sent it back and bought a genuine caravelle threshold, which fits perfectly and is cheaper !!

Here’s my genuine threshold, which comes with a foam insert. Perfect ! Not fitted the dust caps yet.
And here’s my newly acquired load mat, which I bought from FB Marketplace……..for £20 !!

IMG_2274.jpeg

Back