Van Vs Car/suv Tyres

Ltrain

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello All,

I Ordered some Continental All Season Contact 235/55 R17 V (103), Reinforced through black circles - to be fitted at ATS. Chap at ATS says he wouldn't fit them as they aren't van tyres and thus would invalidate my insurance. I don't think he was being an arse but more concerned about the sidewall strength, different loading from a van compared to suv etc..

Any actual evidence to this? It seems sensible, but then also one would think if a tyre is load rated, then it's load rated.

Only asking as once warranty is done I'd like to size up to some 20's but wouldn't want to compromise anything.

he was chatting about the 4 vs 8 ply and side loading etc.. didnt seem stupid reasoning but with so many folk running 18+ - and vw making 18 inch alloys for the vans I figured it was a bit old thinking. or everyone is invalidting their insurance and compromising safety...

If a tyre is rated to 103 then it's rated to 103 no matter how many ply's the side wall have surely o_O

Had me worried as I have some Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S 235/55 R17 103V XL for my Caravelle. So I went on the Vredestein web site and did a search for correct winter tyres and their site comes up with the ones I have. So I would agree that the fitter is wrong. Try the Continental web site to see what they would recommend for your vehicle. Then print it out and take it to ATS perhaps?

Hi
I've just had a tyre supplier decline to supply me some Bridgestone 255/50/18 106Y tyres for my van because they are not C rated.
He was v friendly while cutting off his own sale; he was citing the construction & use regulations as well probable insurance invalidation.
I have just read those regs online (lockdown time eh!) and to summarise it basically says each axle shall have tyres strong enough to meet the load requirements from the rating plate; 103 in my case.
Interestingly is also seemed to say they only have to do so at 70mph; but I've also come across something that says the all tyres MUST be speed rated for above the Maximum possible speed of the vehicle; but who would put low speed tyres on anyway!

So has anyone ever had MOT, Police, or insurance problems with their non C rated tyres?

I tried to order some 104 rated uniroyals for my t32 recently from Camskills. I phoned them to check something and pretty much was told that because they were not c rated they were unsuitable, would void VW warranty and insurance etc.

Safe to say he lost the sale.

I called VW about warranty of tyre size and spec and also my insurance brentacre.

Ended up using national tyres which again had no issues with ratings etc.
Both dismissed the claims and the insurance said if they pass an mot and are within load/speed ratings they have no issues.

Last edited:
Same as you, also lost the sale; though prices are good and will ship to you if you just order online; just don’t email or call them!
Just out of interest I looked up some tyres on the van section and found they were EU C1 the same as the ones they declined and only 103 not the 106 on the ones I was wanting.
I also researched the classes and the C2 class seems to kick in at 3500kg; so that is something else to think on, if you’re running a heavy conversion....

I’m currently looking at tyres and asked Blackcircles what the difference was between the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen3 and the same tyre with SUV added to the title. Both are 102 rated which is fine for my T30.

They said the only difference is that SUV has reinforced side walls. Interestingly they are both a very similar price so if it does have extra reinforcement then they don’t charge extra which also makes no sense.

I think both will be ok but I might as well go for the SUV tyre as it’s the same price.

Edit - I’ve just looked at the sticker on the inside of the drivers door and some tyre sizes are marked C and others XL. I have just done some googling and understand that C is 8 ply and XL 6 ply.

I therefore assume that for insurance purposes it is best to match or better the sticker info.

98C8627A-2E07-433D-A90D-FB5E9F915D24.jpeg

Last edited:
Back