Van ordered, what else do I need for a possible trip to Spain in 6 weeks? (cross fingers)

Generally I would go with a minimum of stuff to cover the basics rather than buying a mountain of stuff. You’ll learn systems for efficiently camping/living/moving as you go and being stuffed with kit will make this difficult. You’ll then know what you actually need for next time.

The only specific thing I’ll recommend, given you’re heading to Spain in summer is a simple standoff device for the tailgate which enables you to sleep securely with the tailgate cracked open a couple of inches. This is the biggest single thing which we’ve found to transform unbearable to ok in term of sleeping in 30+ heat.

Not cheap but well made
Received the window grill today, very well packed.
It’s well made, aluminium frame with stainless steel mesh, ?plastic fly grill and all matt black powder coated.
It’s a very snug fit and certainly not removable without brute force (hammer), that said I wouldn’t leave my van unattended with this fitted as it would probably void the insurance.
Note that the sliding window seal is not effective as the window is not in the fully closed position so not suitable if raining unless you rig a mini awning over the window :thumbsdown:
The grill is reversible so will fit either side window, I’d choose the sliding door as it reduces the possibility of getting the HPL furniture wet.
Weighs in at 1.2Kg.
Recommended.

View attachment 47377

View attachment 47378

View attachment 47379

View attachment 47380

View attachment 47381

View attachment 47382

View attachment 47383

View attachment 47384

So I've placed an order for my new van - total noob, although I know my way around the woods if you know what I mean.

I don't want to get into what I'm getting but I am looking forward to my 6.1 from direct campers ;)

What other kit should I now be looking at, I've got 6 weeks to get my act together because on the day it's delivered I start a two week holiday from work, so I'd like to get my ducks in a row and ready to pack the van!

Does anyone have any good links to kit lists or YouTube reviews for first set up? I've been browsing but not finding much. Also, if I get to go to Spain, is there special adapters etc I need. I'm planning on taking bikes and I read a story on this forum about a warning square, do I need this?

Any advice you have gratefully received from the best kettle for the gas stove to what plates and cups, to adapters and general advice about apps or clubs to join!

Absolutely buzzing and cant wait to take delivery!

Fam of 4
Don’t know if it will be possible but I would suggest a shakedown weekend before your big trip!

dont forget that you may need a green card for your insurance. Check this out re driving licenses, All you need to know about driving in the EU after Brexit | Electrifying

Not cheap but well made

Yeah, we've got those, they are certainly excellent quality, but not the cheapest as you say. The distinguishing feature is really the insect guard layer, it's the only way we've found of ventilating the van whilst being insect-secure. Given that though, I'd say they're only really critical if you're somewhere both hot and midgey, otherwise just cracking a window open slightly does the job. Mind you, if you're using the van in Scotland in summer and get caught by a combination of heat and midges - could be a life saver!

You guys are awesome!

In terms of security, just as it comes just now but I've been reading tracker posts here. Thinking it would be sensible to get a tracker, and I can ask the conversion company to bury it for me. I've seen all sorts of other things, do you advise getting a wheel lock or anything else for security?

No solar, the sales guy advised against it at this stage as we can last 3 days on leisure apparently?

I was thinking about solar reflection, defo need help here. I think its going to be a challenge to keep cool...thinking north of pain is the best idea to start with. We have travelled all over Spain previously so know it very well.

I love the Scotland comment, too right! I'm a sun worshipper but my fam need the factor 10,000 :D good ideas.

Thanks so much for those tips s far, love to hear more. I like the idea of growing into it, but under no illusions that I'll need plates and cups and coffee making facilities, and maybe some sort of power adapters etc.

Hope the borders are open in 6 weeks.

Researching the trip over, I'm thinking eurotunnel and cane the life out of my clubcard points to get it for 1/3 of the price.
Stoplock Pro

Just the Pro, not the Elite, fits the wheel perfectly, and very visible.

I was thinking you'd need a miracle to get the van in six weeks

Spare van keys, it’s a long wait to get somebody to post the other set from Scotland.

I was thinking you'd need a miracle to get the van in six weeks
ha, Yeah I was surprised too, these guys turn around the vans quickly. I went to Jerba first as I'm walking distance from the factory, but they are quoting Sept 2022 for the next delivery date!!!

Horses for courses, I run a microwave and coffee machine in mine as well as charge gadgets and the like. And with kids there will be plenty to charge. If your staying static for a few days the power soon goes…
I run my induction hob off my 200 Ah batteries as well as microwave/grill/oven - 3kW inverter working hard! Need a lot of sun on the solar for that!:p

Get one of these and save yourself loads of stress

Unless you’re solely on sites with EHU, I would reconsider not getting solar. No chance your battery is going to last three days with a fridge in the Spanish summer.
I bought a 100w 'briefcase' solar panel off amazon for £120 ish which I just pop out and plug in when needed.

Also totally agree on a potential lack of solar - I suspect that you would come to regret it! That said, normal AGM storage should do the job if you're not running all the domestic type appliances that others seem to need. Let's not forget that we were happily staying off grid, watching TV and keeping the lights going before lithium became the flavor du jour. I will eventually get lithium but not until my AGM is finally cattled and has to be replaced which I hope will be a few years yet.

Last edited:
Get one of these and save yourself loads of stress
Wow, these are cool, I didn't know they existed! Thanks,

My van only took 4 weeks, I think it depends on how much is banged out on CNC machines.

Yeah, six weeks to build/convert once the van arrives for a pre-existing order seems very reasonable. If it’s six weeks from actual point of order, that would be really odd, especially in the current climate - most well known converters are booked up for a year plus I think.

Reactions: Ozi
Back