Van ordered, what else do I need for a possible trip to Spain in 6 weeks? (cross fingers)

Yeah, six weeks to build/convert once the van arrives for a pre-existing order seems very reasonable. If it’s six weeks from actual point of order, that would be really odd, especially in the current climate - most well known converters are booked up for a year plus I think.
Yeah, six weeks to build/convert once the van arrives for a pre-existing order seems very reasonable. If it’s six weeks from actual point of order, that would be really odd, especially in the current climate - most well known converters are booked up for a year plus I think.
And that’s the key point. Built time itself will vary depending on what’s being done and how, so 4-6 weeks for the actual conversion isn’t unusual.

But it’s the lead time that would concern me. All the respected convertors I’m aware of have huge wait times for a slot. Simple supply and demand issue. So if someone was telling me that could fit me in next month, I’d be asking myself why.

The branch of Direct Campers in Newcastle has recently opened, and the van was bought pre-reg already, so they had it ready and waiting. I just told them what I wanted and I'm in the queue. I think the Scottish branch has been open for over 20 years but the English one is new, so perhaps doesn't have the bookings yet.

The branch of Direct Campers in Newcastle has recently opened, and the van was bought pre-reg already, so they had it ready and waiting. I just told them what I wanted and I'm in the queue. I think the Scottish branch has been open for over 20 years but the English one is new, so perhaps doesn't have the bookings yet.

Ah I see, I guess if it’s a new branch of an existing decent converter you could have struck it lucky there, would explain the lack of waiting time.

Ah I see, I guess if it’s a new branch of an existing decent converter you could have struck it lucky there, would explain the lack of waiting time.
I'll keep the forum updated as I progress. I have a deadline due to holidays from work, if they do deliver for then I'll be overjoyed, if they miss it I have nothing booked and no chance to go anywhere and I'll be really pi$$ed off, so watch this space!!

Reactions: Ozi
Wow, these are cool, I didn't know they existed! Thanks,
If you’re going to be driving through France these things are an obvious choice, you can get away without them but they take a lot of aggro out when driving on the autoroutes.

If someone waves you down dont stop for them just report it on next town. Its not normal but happens, your experienced in Spain so you'll be ok, and probs have enough lingo. Use a good translation on your phone and dont rely on Google.

Last edited:
If someone waves you down dont stop for them just report it on next town. Its not normal but happens, your experienced in Spain so you'll be ok, and probs have enough lingo. Use a good translation on your phone and dont rely on Google.
Thanks! Didn't know about the flagging down thing, but fairly fluent in Spanish so I'm OK on that front. Will maintain awareness of my surroundings.

I'll keep the forum updated as I progress. I have a deadline due to holidays from work, if they do deliver for then I'll be overjoyed, if they miss it I have nothing booked and no chance to go anywhere and I'll be really pi$$ed off, so watch this space!!

UPDATE:

Well, Direct Campers have pulled a rabbit out of the hat. I won't be going to Spain this time as I missed my holiday slot, but they have now confirmed the van will be ready for collection on Tuesday this week. That's 7.5 weeks from the date of order. Pretty impressive!! I'll add images when I collect next week, and I cant wait to get out in it!

Generally I would go with a minimum of stuff to cover the basics rather than buying a mountain of stuff. You’ll learn systems for efficiently camping/living/moving as you go and being stuffed with kit will make this difficult. You’ll then know what you actually need for next time.

The only specific thing I’ll recommend, given you’re heading to Spain in summer is a simple standoff device for the tailgate which enables you to sleep securely with the tailgate cracked open a couple of inches. This is the biggest single thing which we’ve found to transform unbearable to ok in term of sleeping in 30+ heat.
Hi Quick question : where did you get the tailgate standoff device you mention?
We’re planning a trip to Spain later this year!
Thanks

Back